Psychology in poker

Sulfuros001

Sulfuros001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Guys,
I've heard that almost all professional poker players ( live poker) have or are studying psychology and human reactions to improve their skills...
My dream is to be a pro poker players, should i also take part and swim deep in psychology or it doesn't have a huge impact on the table?

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are talking about psychology books directly related to poker; maybe. General psychology books or courses ? I do not see the benefit. I think getting lots of experience would be more beneficial.

veloprofz

veloprofz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the psychological factor also plays a role in resilience to loss and the ability to wait

L

Laynester

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a ONLINE Behavior secret....

I won't tell you the answer to that....

Tell Tammi I want to have a nice coffee date!!

Thank you for listening.

..bluff..

:icon_bigs

HTML

HTML

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TM
Chips
I want to earn money from poker but I can't
everyone dreams of becoming professional players

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are serious about becoming a professional card player then anything that could potentially improve your edge is worth while in my opinion.

bra01

bra01

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think studying psychology is really helpful for live games
Some small movements of the opponent often expose them to flaws

aleomar86

aleomar86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The psychological is key in poker, how many players when they lose a hand, the next they go all in? that is playing in a state of despair.

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Guys,
I've heard that almost all professional poker players ( live poker) have or are studying psychology and human reactions to improve their skills...
My dream is to be a pro poker players, should i also take part and swim deep in psychology or it doesn't have a huge impact on the table?

If you want to be a pro for sure you will need to be good at maths first. The part for live poker which you need to study and master is body languages or nonverbal gestures. It serves in everything not just in poker. To be good at it, you must have a strong common sense, be very perceptive and a lot of practice and an eagle eye for details. In short terms you have to study a lot and understand how your body and mind works and command them for your own purposes.
I can write you a lot more since my field of study is psychology and my master degree is in Non verbal communication. Lol
That't why we often hear the famous "poker face", no expression at all.
Good luck!

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes in general a good understanding of psychology is probably +EV, but there will probably be diminishing returns after a certain point so it should not be your most important focus.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hey Guys,

I have not heard this but its very possible to be honest. I just dont know what it would he helping with.

What I do know it many professional mindset coaches to improve them self's and there game.4 While I am no professional i did get some basic help this way. While this was for my personal life and to help with poker it did really change me and for the better as a poker player. I rarely tilt anymore and when I do its usually very minor and unless you know me you might not know it. If you do end up going and playing professional I would highly recommend it.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rather, body language is more important in live poker. And all this is based on human psychology.

M

Medina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think that psychological preparedness is very important.
The biggest players play live poker a lot, so it’s understandable to study human reactions.
However, psychology is not only useful in live poker, there are also many online poker psychology articles that are very useful.
Every part of poker can also be developed in terms of psychology, which is key to becoming a professional.

Ashley Sleeth

Ashley Sleeth

Professional Poker Player
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will spend such a small amount of time against any one opponent (especially live) that studying the entire subject of psychology to properly assess a given opponents' range in a hand is a lot of work for very little pay off.

You're much better off studying your own mental game leaks because you're in 100% of the hands you play :D For example, if you tilt more often against a "weak player" because you think you deserve to win against them, that's a mental leak you can plug. It will save you a lot of money in the short term to not tilt off a stack and will improve your ability to play for longer as a winner. Another example: if you lack the motivation to play consistently, then figuring out why will make you a lot of money if you're a winning poker player.

If you're interested in figuring out what your own potential leaks are in the psychological arena, I highly recommend getting Jared Tendler's books called The Mental Game of Poker. There are two, but you could spend a lot of time on the concepts he outlines in book 1 alone.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course it's worth it if you are going to play live. Everything is written on the faces, you just need to learn to read. Therefore, many people prefer online poker.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will spend such a small amount of time against any one opponent (especially live) that studying the entire subject of psychology to properly assess a given opponents' range in a hand is a lot of work for very little pay off.

You're much better off studying your own mental game leaks because you're in 100% of the hands you play :D For example, if you tilt more often against a "weak player" because you think you deserve to win against them, that's a mental leak you can plug. It will save you a lot of money in the short term to not tilt off a stack and will improve your ability to play for longer as a winner. Another example: if you lack the motivation to play consistently, then figuring out why will make you a lot of money if you're a winning poker player.

If you're interested in figuring out what your own potential leaks are in the psychological arena, I highly recommend getting Jared Tendler's books called The Mental Game of Poker. There are two, but you could spend a lot of time on the concepts he outlines in book 1 alone.
Thanks for the opinion, it's always nice to listen to an intelligent person. I'll take a note of the book, I'll read it without fail.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In live poker, psychology is very important, in some cases perhaps even more important than the cards you receive.
There are a good number of books on this topic that analyze body language and behavior patterns.
For example, Phil Hellmut also has a book like this I don't know the English title but you can find it on the net.
I also think it's a good idea to flip through books on behavior patterns for those who want to make a difference in live poker.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
In addition to the technical side, the psychological side is very important to become a pro player. This applies for every sport. Good luck :)

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
live poker and you

Nothing like figuring out a villain and using there tendencies against themselves.

Yes it can be done on line, but Live you get to see them go thru the mental process..
That runs both ways of course,..

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Guys,

Sports Psychology for yourself as an athlete.

And then for villain analysis motivation, expectation, emotion, learning, tells, etc.

Nothing like figuring out a villain and using there tendencies against themselves.

Yes it can be done on line, but Live you get to see them go thru the mental process..
That runs both ways of course,..

this this this

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker Psychology

Hey Guys,

Good thread this as it offers up a lot of content on the internet should you wish to research this - my suggestion is to check out this offering by Barbara Connors - https://www.pokerology.com/lessons/psychology-and-poker/

I find this a useful site and a good link which gets you to explore yourself in specific situations in the game and your associated feelings.

Good Luck!

andreypuch

andreypuch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The psychology of playing poker is extremely important! Because quite a lot of those who have a good knowledge base are not always able to cope with their emotions at a time when it is necessary to make a rational and balanced decision.

poxerator78

poxerator78

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
psychology and not only patience and discipline mind and math and 90% luck

Y

yago541

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
psychology is important

And very importantly, complement the training with things that will help you to read your opponents according to the behavior at the tables live.