Playing in Seniors Tourneys

T

The Chairman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Having turned 50, i was wondering if anyone could has some experience in the wsop seniors and could share any appropriate adjustments in strategy

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The polite thing to do is notify the dealer when you notice someone dozing off & let him wake them up.

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've noticed that a lot of old guys at my local club have a really tight, traditional style. Their advanced age enables them to have great patience. They have no problem waiting around for nuts and only then giving action.

Of course, not all old guys are like this, but many are. There are LAG shooters from all backgrounds.

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that senior-aged players are either stubbornly tight or aggressive, nothing in between.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having turned 50, i was wondering if anyone could has some experience in the WSOP seniors and could share any appropriate adjustments in strategy

I do not have any experience in WSOP.....yet. I am playing in the Colossus with team Cardschat this year. A few years ago, I wanted to play in the Super Seniors event (65+)... I thought I would be one of the youngest, so I might have a stamina advantage over most players in their 70s, 80s and 90s. I finally qualify, and they lower the age requirement to 60...I decide not to play it because there were too many new YOUNGSTERS added. Besides, going as part of the Cardschat team gives me the opportunity to meet some of the players I have played against in the CC freerolls and meet Debi. I know it will be much more fun with others to hang out with.
My advice about playing against 50s+ players is also to play tight until you have a good read on your table mates...if you spot a weakness, try to exploit it...playing too tight for the entire time will limit your chances to chip up...wait for a monster, and all you will collect is blinds and antes.

Last edited:
D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am in my 60"s and can tell you that i don't play as loose as i did when i was younger. But i can last playing as long as the younger group.

Mortis71

Mortis71

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not have any experience in WSOP.....yet. I am playing in the Colossus with team Cardschat this year. A few years ago, I wanted to play in the Super Seniors event (65+)... I thought I would be one of the youngest, so I might have a stamina advantage over most players in their 70s, 80s and 90s. I finally qualify, and they lower the age requirement to 60...I decide not to play it because there were too many new YOUNGSTERS added. Besides, going as part of the Cardschat team gives me the opportunity to meet some of the players I have played against in the CC freerolls and meet Debi. I know it will be much more fun with others to hang out with.
My advice about playing against 50s+ players is also to play tight until you have a good read on your table mates...if you spot a weakness, try to exploit it...playing too tight for the entire time will limit your chances to chip up...wait for a monster, and all you will collect is blinds and antes.
And meet Debi.....cool guy ;):D:p

X

xxgsaint5501xx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that senior-aged players are either stubbornly tight or aggressive, nothing in between.

I think you are stereotyping far too extreme, I personally am 55 years old, I play both live and online. I am slightly on the tighter side, but also very tricky. I can four bet bluff. I check raise the turn with draws on occasion. I am a winning player, But if you look at me from the outside, you personally would probably just think I was tight, I would own you.

T

The Chairman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
time to confess

Actually I am 74, have cashed in multiple WSOP and other seniors events. I was curious about how others thought you should play. I find that most seniors are quite tight passive and easy to walk over. If they push back, FOLD. Of course there are exceptions - usually there is one guy who tries to run over the table. if you are patient, you should be able to bust him/her.
Of course this sometimes backfires - WSOP 4 years ago - down to 110 players. Agressive player (Allyn Shulman of card player fame and eventual winner) had come over my ep raise two times. She tried it a third time when I had QQ and she had 88. I had one of her suits covered, and I had more chips, but the other suit ran out. Happens.