How to improve "people-reading skills"

Loyal_Flush

Loyal_Flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone!

I'm online player but I'm willing to play live soon. Is there sources to improve our "reading mimics and body language" that help us on poker? Is there any book or course you can advice me? I think that will help me not only on poker, also in my life.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like psychology (in general, not just in poker), but an old technique is "people-watching" in the same way that some bird-watch. Literally sit down at a park bench, mall bench, crowded restaurant or whatever other public place where you can observe many people.

Then simply observe what is going on around you. Notice "patterns" like tells for emotion and try to get a sense of details. If you are really ambitious, you can even go up to some of the people you are watching and straight up ask them: "hey, I just noticed [fill in whatever you observed], is this correct?"

This "training" drill is something a lot of body language experts and secret service agents practice to hone in on body language. I know this isn't strictly "poker" based learning, but it can certainly improve your poker game indirectly if you become good at this drill.

L

legrantjames

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Check out Daniel Negreanu's MasterClass, he offers some good tips on live reads!

Loyal_Flush

Loyal_Flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like psychology (in general, not just in poker), but an old technique is "people-watching" in the same way that some bird-watch. Literally sit down at a park bench, mall bench, crowded restaurant or whatever other public place where you can observe many people.

Then simply observe what is going on around you. Notice "patterns" like tells for emotion and try to get a sense of details. If you are really ambitious, you can even go up to some of the people you are watching and straight up ask them: "hey, I just noticed [fill in whatever you observed], is this correct?"

This "training" drill is something a lot of body language experts and secret service agents practice to hone in on body language. I know this isn't strictly "poker" based learning, but it can certainly improve your poker game indirectly if you become good at this drill.

Wow... Thats amazing exercise! I'm grateful! I'll try that as soon as possible. You're right, maybe that's not directly about poker but i'm pretty sure it will help a lot! Next step would be analyse people who are trying to hide their feelings. So that will help about poker. Thank you so much for advice!

I really love that forum. When i ask for some help someone come and write amazing advices like that. I'm grateful!

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh by the way, as far as poker books on tells go:

Two options might be, "Read 'Em And Reap" by Phil Hellmuth and Joe Navaro
or Mike Caro's "Book of poker tells." The former book I enjoyed, but I never read the second. Heard decent things though. :)

Loyal_Flush

Loyal_Flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh by the way, as far as poker books on tells go:

Two options might be, "Read 'Em And Reap" by Phil Hellmuth and Joe Navaro
or Mike Caro's "Book of Poker Tells." The former book I enjoyed, but I never read the second. Heard decent things though. :)

Thank you again! I'll check them as soon as possible! :) Wish you good luck with all of my heart mate!

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check some good players as Daniel Negreanu, 0human and many others who got a great course where people can improve their skills, also i suggest playing at least once a month in a big tournament - 100 bucks or more if it possible to see where you at.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty sure there is a poker book dedicated to poker reads called the science of tells or something

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
img.php
[/IMG]

Loyal_Flush

Loyal_Flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check some good players as Daniel Negreanu, 0human and many others who got a great course where people can improve their skills, also i suggest playing at least once a month in a big tournament - 100 bucks or more if it possible to see where you at.

Thanks mate! Negreanu is one of my few fav players ever! Really good on hand reading even when he plays against of true "poker face" players. Thanks for advice and i'll check his reads even one more time!

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m pretty sure there is another book like this, but I didn’t see it. Good chance one of them is at your local book store

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KOOL THANKS NICE JOB ON WIN

Thank you again! I'll check them as soon as possible! :) Wish you good luck with all of my heart mate!

Thanks for the kind words and glad to help out; I like positivism like this and I seem to sense that from this forum as a whole (despite the fact that this forum thread is fairly new and "normal" at a glance). :)

B

BigSlickk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Look at their eyes or where their eyes are looking at exactly. One whose eyes are darting all over the place is obviously excitable and more oft then not are not holding a made hand and are not 100% confident.

Look for repeated actions by a player and make sure to watch every hand til conclusion. The biggest mistake live players can make is when they fold they fiddle on their phone or read a magazine.

Loyal_Flush

Loyal_Flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look at their eyes or where their eyes are looking at exactly. One whose eyes are darting all over the place is obviously excitable and more oft then not are not holding a made hand and are not 100% confident.

Look for repeated actions by a player and make sure to watch every hand til conclusion. The biggest mistake live players can make is when they fold they fiddle on their phone or read a magazine.

Nice advices! Thanks!

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks mate! Negreanu is one of my few fav players ever! Really good on hand reading even when he plays against of true "poker face" players. Thanks for advice and i'll check his reads even one more time!

Anytime bro. Keep grinding!

Thiagon

Thiagon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When we always play with the same people it is easier to understand each other's game.
When playing with strangers we need to study techniques on how to deal with each type of player.
Over time it becomes a natural thing.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So one of the true arts with reading people , is of course... Constant play. Everybody has their own styles and own feel when it comes to reading people. I feel if you aren't willing to pay for it you will never fully understand reading people. By paying for it I mean paying for information at the table. Sometimes you have to make a Large call to gain true intel over somebody. I've made a $100 call knowing I was going to lose but I had to see his cards and it turns out I was right . So that $100 investment turned into a $500 comeback.

Darkray

Darkray

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more you play poker, the better you read people.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good advice. Do you watch TV series online? I will usually bounce around between binge watching a TV series. I remember I watched every season of high stakes poker. I was pretty much on top of my game at the time.

S

sergey3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow... Thats amazing exercise! I'm grateful! I'll try that as soon as possible. You're right, maybe that's not directly about poker but i'm pretty sure it will help a lot! Next step would be analyse people who are trying to hide their feelings. So that will help about poker. Thank you so much for advice!

I really love that forum. When i ask for some help someone come and write amazing advices like that. I'm grateful!
It is easy for me to read ordinary people, but it is much more difficult to count professional actors and, accordingly, poker players. After all, they can first show their patterns, and then use them against you. We need real game experience, I don’t think that passers-by will be able to teach if this is not given to you by God, thanks to him for that.

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's something you're born with. Either you got it or not.