Gus Hansen - Every hand revealed

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just finished it and is great, it’s amazing how completely different his style is from say Dan Harrington, yet they both are able to get to top spots when they play. I have a lot of points highlighted in the book...can discuss them if anyone has read it. There is a method to his madness and it all makes perfect sense, although not for online, not for online at all lol. 14 million dollars lost is a good enough reason to know they don’t work online lol

I will admit, I have tried a few of his tactics online and they do work. But only sparingly, it really does come down to the read of each player of each hand live with his methods.

I can talk a lot about this book and ideas, but really only from a live game perspective.

Last edited:
Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just finished it and is great, it’s amazing how completely different his style is from say Dan Harrington, yet they both are able to get to top spots when they play. I have a lot of points highlighted in the book...can discuss them if anyone has read it. There is a method to his madness and it all makes perfect sense, although not for online, not for online at all lol. 14 million dollars lost is a good enough reason to know they don’t work online lol

I will admit, I have tried a few of his tactics online and they do work. But only sparingly, it really does come down to the read of each player of each hand live with his methods.

I can talk a lot about this book and ideas, but really only from a live game perspective.

I have to admit I love this book. One of my favorites and from one of the great of that time. Actually you should look up what Gus says about this book now. He did not regret writing it but once people read it a lot of what he would do stopped working. HE said one issue was nobody believed he had a hand when he bet and was getting called a lot and started losing.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to admit I love this book. One of my favorites and from one of the great of that time. Actually you should look up what Gus says about this book now. He did not regret writing it but once people read it a lot of what he would do stopped working. HE said one issue was nobody believed he had a hand when he bet and was getting called a lot and started losing.

Haven’t copied notes to spreadsheet to review again and memorize.. but in my head - it’s wild how he 1. Never bluffs (not never, but not in his forte) 2. Always Plays from the small blind. 3. Never limps from button (as nobody should, but hellmuth likes it) 4. Hardly ever limps - that is standard from all - limping accomplishes nothing. “Limping attracts limpers and you get a limpeeed” - Annie Duke lol sorry had to throw Annie in there on limping. 5. Re-raises the raiser from small or big blind.

It’s mind boggling why everyone limps...I don’t want to start a thread on why limping is ridiculous because I will piss everyone off.

Lol I am just going off of memory, one of my favorites is if nobody has contested the pot, take it! That works online or live, no question.

I would love to repost ideas after I enter notes into my spreadsheet and process it a bit more, but yeah, he did exploit himself way too much...but from my perspective, it will work with the “gamblers” just not the pros lol

Mix his methods and Harrington on Hold’em (inflection points) - can take down any local live tourney without even blinking lol

Last edited:
Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It’s mind boggling why everyone limps...I don’t want to start a thread on why limping is ridiculous because I will piss everyone off.
It depends....betting out or raising is usually better than calling but there needs to be a rationale. You don't do that just because it's "standard procedure." Sometimes limping creates a honey pot where pot odds/reverse pot odds now create a completely different situation which needs to be addressed differently. It's like everyone is on the same tightrope and that rope is now being plucked...should you try to curl your toes to get a better grip, should you start jumping up and down on it to scare everyone off or should you jump off to safety...the margin of error gets more slim as more cards are on the board.;)
I for one wouldn't be pissed off because I'm curious if this is something you do generally. I'll 3 bet anyone with anything to see what they have sometimes or I'll limp all the way and either bluff at the pot with nothing or have the nuts.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends....betting out or raising is usually better than calling but there needs to be a rationale. You don't do that just because it's "standard procedure." Sometimes limping creates a honey pot where pot odds/reverse pot odds now create a completely different situation which needs to be addressed differently. It's like everyone is on the same tightrope and that rope is now being plucked...should you try to curl your toes to get a better grip, should you start jumping up and down on it to scare everyone off or should you jump off to safety...the margin of error gets more slim as more cards are on the board.;)
I for one wouldn't be pissed off because I'm curious if this is something you do generally. I'll 3 bet anyone with anything to see what they have sometimes or I'll limp all the way and either bluff at the pot with nothing or have the nuts.
Limping has merit, especially in not being predictable, but limping for most is not a strategy, it is standard, and it is sad.

I have a limp ratio when I play, but it’s not to see a cheap flop generally, it is to disguise a strong hand or to look for a set, or to just set a pattern to not be read.

Limping should be a strategy for sure, but all I ever see is limpers wanting to see a cheap flop. And it is sad:)

Limping is toxic :)

Last edited:
Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing is for sure, mid pair is a force, online or live...man his work with mid pair is dope lol

A8 is turning point with aces.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Limping is toxic :)
You're funny and you're right it's toxic. Pots are usually small and you go on auto-pilot. At these kinds of tables when playing live I'll know the waitress well because I will have called her over about a dozen times to ask for another drink.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands