Exposed card during deal in tournament

C

CJDude12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Boy, do I have something to talk about, here.

Last night I was playing in a holdem tourney at a local legion. Dealer wasn't great.
As he started to deal the second hand I decided to play that evening, he accidently exposed a card from the middle of the deck. So he decided to make that the first burn card.
There was no real objection from anyone at the table, including myself.

I have AJo in position to the guy who went all in preflop after I initially raised.
He has pocket Tens
Everybody else folds.
I call.
Flop runs out 89J
TurnQ
I don't even remember the river, because obviously I was busted.
Out of anger I just left and went home.

Well, This morning it came to me that he had exposed that card accidently, and made it the first burn card.
If he hadn't done that, that 8 on the flop would've been the first burn card, and would've blocked villans straight.
And obviously if that had happened, I most likely would've won the hand.

At this point I believe since I went home, I don't have any leverage to ask for my buy in back, or something. I'm so frustrated and feel like there is nothing I can do, so I guess I'll just have to let it go.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Was the dealer right to use that exposed card as a burn? Should I have objected to playing the hand after that?

Delenia

Delenia

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have never seen this happen, but you would think there would be rules addressing it. I checked the Tournament Directors Association rules and the wsop tournament rules and did not find anything addressing this particular issue. I would be interested to find out if anyone knows the proper procedure for this.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
...Dealer wasn't great.
As he started to deal the second hand I decided to play that evening, he accidently exposed a card from the middle of the deck. So he decided to make that the first burn card.
There was no real objection from anyone at the table, including myself.....

fd021ceff0b30cd78693513a5b504905.png

[FONT=Open sans, sans-serif]
[/FONT]​
According to Robert's Rules of Poker v11, the exposed card should be replaced by the burn card. In this situation (by literal interpretation), the burn should go into the stub at the point the exposed card would have been and the exposed card becomes the burn. This rule has always been observed in any cardroom I've played in and has served my home group well, and makes perfect sense. However, I don't believe that I have ever experienced an exposed card from the middle of the stub. While the rule doesn't make a specific exception for this situation, it also does not specifically address it. If I were the TD, I'd ask if the specific spot in the stub was known - if so, follow rule above. If the spot is not known, and it could be part of the board (one of the top eight cards here), well, I'm not sure. :hmmmm2:

EDIT: Oh yeah, you never, ever, use the actual first burn card on the board. That doesn't jibe with the idea of using the exposed card as the burn.

RE EDIT: This may be more complicated than I thought. I'm rereading Robert's Rules.

Last edited:
roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I too have never seen an exposed card from the middle of the deck. However as the rule states 1 card then becomes the burn 2 cards is a misdeal. I have seen both many times in tournament play. The most common being a dealer exposes say the 4th players card the deal continues as normal and the card is replaced by what would have been the burn card.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play misdeals.
its optional , thats why the dealer asks
if you agree then u agreed.

If its a misdeal
I say misdeal and we reshuffle even if I have AA.
its a misdeal. period
stop rabbit huntin

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once you have all agreed you all have to live with it, sounds like nobody knew the proper rules, no use crying over spilt milk after the fact, you needed to object in the moment or it's to late no matter the correct rule

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Boy, do I have something to talk about, here.

Last night I was playing in a holdem tourney at a local legion. Dealer wasn't great.
There was no real objection from anyone at the table, including myself.

I have AJo in position to the guy who went all in preflop after I initially raised.
He has pocket Tens
Everybody else folds.
I call.
Flop runs out 89J
TurnQ
I don't even remember the river, because obviously I was busted.
Out of anger I just left and went home.

Well, This morning it came to me that he had exposed that card accidently, and made it the first burn card.
If he hadn't done that, that 8 on the flop would've been the first burn card, and would've blocked villans straight.
And obviously if that had happened, I most likely would've won the hand.

At this point I believe since I went home, I don't have any leverage to ask for my buy in back, or something. I'm so frustrated and feel like there is nothing I can do, so I guess I'll just have to let it go.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Was the dealer right to use that exposed card as a burn? Should I have objected to playing the hand after that?

The things that starts with mistakes end up with mistakes.

Personally I ask gently to shuffle up and deal/distribute again.