Dodgy Live Poker Meetup - Should I return?

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
So I've found a game which is beatable. My buddy won it last week...another buddy came third.
The game is in the basement of a seedy pub.
Only about 45 players (5-6 tables).
Buy-in is 20 GBP.
Tournament. NLHE.

The problem I have is thus: I no longer trust they other players (or at least, some of them).
I had my tobacco nicked from my pocket...had a couple lighters also stolen...and in a cash game, it seems someone either stole cash or addded chips to their stack without paying...as we had more chips than cash when it came time to cash out. So although I had profited in the cash game, there was insufficient chips to pay for my winnings. This pissed me off.

So do I go back?

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
I'm picturing the shady cardroom in "Rounders" after your comment 🤣
If they don't watch the stacks of the players I wouldn't return.
Don't they have surveillance ?

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't return to this game or at least not play any of the cash games, only the tournament.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I've found a game which is beatable. My buddy won it last week...another buddy came third.
The game is in the basement of a seedy pub.
Only about 45 players (5-6 tables).
Buy-in is 20 GBP.
Tournament. NLHE.

The problem I have is thus: I no longer trust they other players (or at least, some of them).
I had my tobacco nicked from my pocket...had a couple lighters also stolen...and in a cash game, it seems someone either stole cash or addded chips to their stack without paying...as we had more chips than cash when it came time to cash out. So although I had profited in the cash game, there was insufficient chips to pay for my winnings. This pissed me off.

So do I go back?
You should never go back there.

This is the biggest reason in my mind...."there was insufficient chips to pay for my winnings."

They were just ripping you off and not interested in making sure you want to come back.

Find another home game that pays you your winnings!

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You can usually find beatable games like this that are better organised and more trustworthy than that particular one seems to be.

You shouldn’t have to deal with people stealing from you and definitely the prize kitty and chips should be safe and secure from interference.

What did your friends have to say about the baccy and chips not matching the buy ins?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing in "seedy" games is just not worth it. The risks are too high for a small possible return.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Unless I knew the person well who ran this game who would work to make sure it never happens again, I probably would not go back.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the owner is playing and eating Oreos, I'd leave immediately!

But you answered your own question, if your getting your pocket picked there is no reason to think the game is on the up and up.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You have 3 friends who play, talk amongst yourselves & extend invitations to others the 3 of you agree upon & soon you have your own friendly, regular home game.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
...ah so they stole from you and then when it was time to pay out they stole from you again?.....,
and the question is should you go back?....
how about NO...

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
a number of the really big home games in Los Angeles are very soft ..... plenty of rich businessmen, athletes, actors, etc . but the rakes are huge and you need a connection or invite to get in . this is the real kicker : some of the strongest players have to forfeit an extra 10% or more of any profits at cash out time ! i have a friend , a successful MD that also happens to be a strong tournament level player , and he gladly pays this double rake to gain admission to such juicy spots . i assume ,of course , that food ,refreshments and ample security are provided .

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would never go back for no other reason than that you had your lighters stolen. If you have thieves you'll have cheaters so it wouldn't be worth the bother for me.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
you folks make the answer seem obvious.
I did not go back last week (I had to work) -- though my mates did.
Mates left empty handed...but hopefully not empty pocketed.

It's not an actual card room, per se. It's a poker group arranged on google meet up which meets in the basement of a dingy pub.
Maybe find another.

... and to the person who suggested the home game -- we have a weekly home game online and a monthly home game live. This game replaced one of the weekly online games.

Thanks for your replies folks. all good insight!

Organize a Home Poker Game