Cowboy Poker: do you have the guts to play?

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In the USA, there is a contest played at rodeos where the contestants sit at a table in the middle of a rodeo arena and an angry bull is turned loose in the arena. Anyone who gets up and runs away "busts out" and the last contestant to remain seated wins the game. The general theme was that the cowboys would actually have to play hands of poker while the bull was running loose in the arena but nowadays they usually don't bother with the cards.

Prizes usually run in the range of a few hundred dollars. How large of a prize would you need to join?

Are there any games or sports in your country that are called "poker" but don't necessarily have anything to do with cards?

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the USA, there is a contest played at rodeos where the contestants sit at a ш in the middle of a rodeo arena and an angry bull is turned loose in the arena. Anyone who gets up and runs away "busts out" and the last contestant to remain seated wins the game. The general theme was that the cowboys would actually have to play hands of poker while the bull was running loose in the arena but nowadays they usually don't bother with the cards.

Prizes usually run in the range of a few hundred dollars. How large of a prize would you need to join?

Are there any games or sports in your country that are called "poker" but don't necessarily have anything to do with cards?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImtoWZxNFtw
Hello! Interesting entertainment, judging by the video I'm not sure if I would agree to participate in this. One question: "What were the cowboys going to play?" Best regards, Sergei

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL .. It looks fun!
Nice thread David

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perhaps hardly anywhere else in the world there is a game associated with cards, but cards do not participate in the game.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hello! Interesting entertainment, judging by the video I'm not sure if I would agree to participate in this. One question: "What were the cowboys going to play?" Best regards, Sergei

The exact type of poker such as Hold'em vs. Omaha, etc. was never a real consideration because the contestants would have been focused on what the bull was doing anyway.

Yauhenik

Yauhenik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty interesting, but I don’t think I could join, well, maybe for 100k)

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The risk/reward factor is abit skewed. :eek: i would do it for 10K.:rolleyes:

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Pretty interesting, but I don’t think I could join, well, maybe for 100k)

The risk/reward factor is abit skewed. :eek: i would do it for 10K.:rolleyes:

I'm thinking even more money personally or just say you couldn't pay me enough. There are videos where people fall and wind up getting stomped by the bull repeatedly. Broken arms or ribs are one thing, but spinal injuries would be what I'd worry about and you often don't recover from those.

It's more about the bragging rights than anything else if you're just playing for $100.

Kid_M

Kid_M

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This isn't something id be interested in trying for any money lol, maybe I value my life to highly lol

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Cowboys were & are generally known to be a couple bottles short of a six pack pack at the best of times.

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Play "chicken" sitting at a table facing a bull?

NO F$#$@#!! WAY!

Last edited:
M

marcoslopezbl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In San Fermin, Spain, every 7th of July there's a local event that basically consists on letting a horde of bulls run rampant along the streets of the city. People come from all over the world to basically get in the way of a raging bull. It's the city's best touristic attraction and I'd reckon its main source of income as well.

As for the "game" in the video: no thanks. I've played high stakes but never that high.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Min. prize would have to be 1,000. I am in.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ignorant me. I thought this thread would be about getting pocket Kings preflop lol - I was not expecting this.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean if they pay any medical bills id do it for no less than 5k

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Cowboys were & are generally known to be a couple bottles short of a six pack pack at the best of times.
I'm silly enough to give it a go, but I'd lose, I'd be outta there as soon as the bull was heading in my direction. :rofl:

:bandit:

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I was reading a book about a family in Utah who have a number of people who traveled thousands of miles a month just making the rounds on the rodeo circuit, the veterans have broken multiple bones multiple times. That kind of stuff really catches up with you when you start getting older, it's not a lifestyle I would be looking to get into.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are just some things that I will never understand.

Possum: "Hey, I have an idea. Lets all be somewhere, where a large angry animal, that can easily kill all of us, will have a go at us. We will not have any protection. Maybe some of us get out without getting hurt"

Skunk: "Yea. Sound like fun."

Gator: "Yup. Lets just get sum cheap beer and whiskey, and if we get killed, maybe we wont know".

Bull: "And some say animals are stupid"

(Only one of the above is a REAL animal)

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
There are just some things that I will never understand.

Possum: "Hey, I have an idea. Let's all be somewhere, where a large angry animal, that can easily kill all of us, will have a go at us. We will not have any protection. Maybe some of us get out without getting hurt"
Sounds like Aussie rules football, just substitute large angry animal with large angry mob.

:)

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just saw this thread, but I had a good laugh at it.
Thanks. :D

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's funny of course)) But for a couple of hundred, I personally would not go) If a couple of tens of thousands. But I'm afraid there will be those who will go for so for the sake of fun))

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess I would only play if I was allowed to bring a red flag, so I could wave it in front of my competitors.

H

HerbPuffer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen this live a cpl times. Also, the rodeo seesaw is pretty fkn nuts.

These aren't rodeo clowns in this one. These are the guys from, "JACKASS", the TV show. Rodeo clowns do do this for prize money, though.