SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hiya all.

I've been recently playing in a UK Pub league called Redtooth. I'm sure many will have heard of it.

Anyway, the standard at the pub I'm going to is pretty average to say the least. There are a few decent players, but many have literally just started playing the game with limited previous experience, as the pub only just joined the league. So, after 8 games I'm currently top of the league, and have finished Top 3 in all 7 weeks I've played so far.

There is 1 Top player who plays, a guy called Johnny Kelly, who is local, not a pro, but has recently just played at the wsop and the Barcelona leg of the EPT. He's a very good player, and generous with his tips while he'e there. He talks through many of his plays etc.

Anyway, we were in a pot and I had bluffed at the river, can't remember what or why to be honest. He was going to fold, but then he asked me something classic, like, do you want a call? Apparently I stifled a little nervous laugh, its a friendly game with lots of banter, anyway it made his mind up to call me. Dammit!!

As part of the league, there is a regional final after each 13 week season, so around 6 weeks away I think. The Top 3 qualify from each pub, so I'm a shoo in if I turn up to a few more of the games.

So it got me thinking, my general game is solid, not spectacular by any means, but the biggest area I could probably improve in my live game, is getting clued up on some live tells, and not giving them away so easily. For the record, I know this isn't magic, and its not about spotting someones eye twitch when they bluff etc. But I just want some background and a basis, in case some spots do happen to come up when I play.

So onto my question.... Which book?

Mike Caro or Zach Elwood, or another altogether? I'm currently leaning towards Zach Elwood's book as it's newer?
Any thoughts would be awesome! Cheers

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why not read both? Watched the youtube video of "The Biggest Bluff" when cris moneymaker went all in on his bluff for like 2 or 4 million chips than the other player asked so you got Ace Queen or whatever card that were on the board and money maker did not answer and the other player folded. after money maker said the reason he didnt answer was because the player was asking the same questions to other players in teh game and calling when they answered..

Last edited:
jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello brother.
I celebrate your live poker experience that I really like.
If you are interested read this extensive article
I was very interested when the old cowboy talked about “there were opponents you could play without looking at your cards and you still beat them”
And other experiences. It's really very interesting.
Here in my country it is very difficult for me to buy your books, but if I could, I would definitely buy them.
Regards Carlos;);););)

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
the best book I think is the one you'll create in your head and have enough knowledge

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This "Phil Hellmuth Presents Read 'Em and Reap" is an older book, but good enough for learning to read body speech...

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im a fan of newer content these days so Zach Elwoods book appeals to me, ive got it and its really good - with more and more new players entering the game who have or are doing their homework on non verbal and verbal communication at the table, its a really good insight into our behaviours whilst at the table as well as away from the table - players today will go to amazing lengths for the slightest advantage over others so i vote Zach!

machinm19

machinm19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have only read Caro's so I will have to find the other. I can confirm the accuracy of many of the tells from Caro's book after first hand seeing them, it really is a great book.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
the best book I think is the one you'll create in your head and have enough knowledge

Would this be the same for wanting to learn Physics, Calculus, veterinary medicine or even just how to train your dog some obedience? If not, then why wouldn't it also be recommended to acquire information/knowledge on the subject of poker tells via a book?

max82nik

max82nik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Don't you think everyone should read Harrington's Hold'em book? This is a poker tutorial. Good old textbook. MTT and cash, online and offline. Don't you think so? Is anyone reading this book?

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't you think everyone should read Harrington's Hold'em book? This is a poker tutorial. Good old textbook. MTT and cash, online and offline. Don't you think so? Is anyone reading this book?
yes it was recommended through Katie well watch cardchat 30 day course videos.. I am only however only on chapter 3 my self maybe two where it tells you different style of plays and that you should use all in your arsenal..

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You would probably be better off finding sound ways to improve your game or improve your discipline than working on body language.

That call could have come from the player recognizing you playing too many hands and decided to call you or you're taking down too many pots without showing the strength of your hands once in awhile. You're sitting at the table quiet for hours then start talking to folks while in a hand might mean something. I mean it could have been anything so I wouldn't worry about.

I would look back and ask myself, "did I really have to bluff in that spot or did I bet enough giving them the right odds to call me in an iffy spot or did I bet too much to where they could afford to call me with a hand and it they lost the hand would be OK chip wise but it would really do damage to my stack or did I over play a marginal hand/a hand I probably should have not played preflop and took the hand waay too far?"

That's the type of stuff I would work on rather than body language but that's just me, lol.

If you see them away from the table and not playing then I would ask them politely and in a jovial manner why they called and they actually might tell you their reasoning since they're not playing other folks. This is another reason not to act in a bad manner when losing hands by the way, lol, but whatever.

Those old Caro vids are still on YouTube and Peter Navarro did some vids for wsop academy during the poker boom and they might be still around on YouTube if you hunt for them but again, I would spend your time on other factors other than body language.

Organize a Home Poker Game Poker Tells