Adrián Mateos vs Johnny Lodden, how would you have played this hand?

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi people! I really like how Adrian Mateos plays. I would like to know what you think of the way he played this hand and how you would have done it

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That was quite a hand! Props to Lodden to even consider calling. That was aggression over aggression Let me see if I got this right Lodden raise UTG rep
3 callers Flop dry board with ace Lodden check raise rep A-pair or better
Mateo calls with no draw or anything . Why? Then I get lost. It becomes a game of chicken. By the river Mateo can only win with a air bluff. He figures Lodden doesn’t have an Ace and makes Lodden fold but it was not. easy

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That was quite a hand! Props to Lodden to even consider calling. That was aggression over aggression Let me see if I got this right Lodden raise UTG rep
3 callers Flop dry board with ace Lodden check raise rep A-pair or better
Mateo calls with no draw or anything . Why? Then I get lost. It becomes a game of chicken. By the river Mateo can only win with a air bluff. He figures Lodden doesn’t have an Ace and makes Lodden fold but it was not. easy

Dont you think that entering a wet flop with a pair of 5 and against such aggressive opponents was a bit too risky (or directly an error)?

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont you think that entering a wet flop with a pair of 5 and against such aggressive opponents was a bit too risky (or directly an error)?
I question the check raise by Lodden on the flop He could have smooth called then it would be three to the turn. IDK why he check raised
My theory is that Lodden wanted to take down the pot right there with check raise with a dry flop.
Which thinking back to it was a good move
There was no flush or straight draws. Only caller would be A high or better.
Problem was the other player folded but Mateos didn’t fold on that flop
Why I don’t know either. He had no draw. He only had position. He must’ve play Lodden enough to know his game that he didn’t have Ace

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That was some hand. I rarely like answering "what I would have done?" because we can see the hole cards and percentages. If I was Mateos, I don't know if I'd have the guts to continue - if I did, then the all-in was the way to go.

What did it for me was the turn. Lodden didn't really give me the impression that he had an Ace. Lodden must have been considering an Ace in Mateos' hand for sure, maybe even a possible 9, but especially an Ace. Then the River comes up an Ace! What a card. Obviously, three Aces beats a pair of fives, but Aces and nines also beat Aces and fives - so Lodden can't be thinking of anything positive coming from an Ace. Perhaps too ambitious for Lodden even continuing with the pocket fives for this long. Mateos did a great job with the all-in bluff, but let us not forget what a great job he did at "selling the story" that he had an Ace. That is what I think Lodden probably put his hand on.

D

Dr_Robert

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Mateos played it well and with heart. But Lodden was the brilliant mind here, to consider a call for this long with such a crappy pair, what a player!

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands