Why do people stall?

L

londog72

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a question I think I know the answer to but I'm curious what u think. why do some people stall and run the clock down?:cool:

I might be wrong but I think people stall for a couple reasons. first some may think that's a way they will be able to make it to the end. but the main reason I believe is quite frankly because they are new and just don't know the game. I will explain why it's just dumb to play slow in next post

ok here it is...why it's just dumb to stall. the faster u play the more hands u get to see...the more hands u see the more chances u have to win a hand which means the more money u can win. its like this let's say u play so slow u only get to see 5 hands in an entire game while the other table played ten times faster and saw 50 hands...who will potentially win more money the slow guy who played 5 hands or the fast guy who played 50...hmmmmmm really it's just common sense and very irritating to watch such moronic playing amongst. I don't understand why those dummy's can't figure it out it's like they are playing just to irritate the real players. anyway I hope u all like my post and give me your opinions on this:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People always stall when it gets close to the bubble if they're shortstacked. And even more stall because they try to snipe a cash by joining in the last few minutes of late reg. Early game? Most of the time I'd say it's because they're playing in multiple tournaments.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, lets look your example. Lets say you are close to itm, but antes and blinds eating you alive. Would you like to play 5 hands while in other tables can play 50 hands or the opposite? And where would you see more busts? In 5 or 50 hands? I believe stalling when its one or two people to bust to reach itm, especially if you are shortstacked its an accepted strategy of the game. I mean, its online, we have clocks, we cant stall forever. You should see it happening in live tourneys though. I've seen a hand in Youtube that a player stalled like ten minutes or something, holding kings cause he feared to call the shove and go bust, so instead wait for someone else to bust before calling.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The fewer hands an unskilled player sees, the fewer opportunities his opponents have to exploit him. The fact that the fewer hands one sees, the fewer hands one has to gain valuable experience & progress as a player, probably the best greatest advantage online poker has over live play, is apparently lost on some folks.

Of course the staller may just be multi-tabling & is in fact getting to the hands on your table as quickly as possible. :joyman:

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The stall to make the money with a short stack is the most common reason. Other than that I want to see as many hands as possible. I guess you could make a case where you might be stuck at a table that you are obviously out skilled than stalling might be beneficial to play less hands and hope the table breaks.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like stalling when only 5 players left to get ITM. I am not the only one because I see the game quickly go to a snails pace every time things get close to ITM.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People stall close to the money because they are trying to make it to the money.

Other times people are mass-multitabling so they may not be as quick to make decisions.

Some people are just not paying attention to the table so they are constantly running their time bank. They also could be having internet issues.

Lastly, they could just be a jackass as well but I think this is rare.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed getting close to the bubble is a natural stall time, letting other tables do the work for you. I find stalling any time other than that in online poker is just a pain for the other players. They are either multi gaming, which I can understand or are sitting there with their hoodie and sunglasses. My time is precious so it is my main irritant after regular and horrible bad beats.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I myself don't like when players stall especially at the beginning of a tournament.

People don't have all day. Almost in the money then maybe I understand.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i have seen players stall as a tactic. it makes some players really mad and you can tell who is mad by the chat. the staller wants to tilt you and take advantage of it. tell me you havent made a bad call just to knock out someone that you thought was stalling. I say this because i have had experience with a player stalling and i started to complain in the chat and he said this is the way i play and i cash a lot. i dont know if he did or didnt but he stalled from the first hand till the table broke. then again it could be multi tabling or even muti tasking like others have mentioned. as far as close to the bubble we are all guilty of stalling at one time or another there.

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
one of the reason could be is its bubble time,
another reason is that he wants to make the opponent think about what kind of hand he's got and hope that he makes a mistake,
or he is just plain stupid.
:bandit::bandit::bandit: