When you just lose and lose

R

redsfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just takes time.I ran bad all last week,could not get a break.No good hole cards,and if i did never hit a flop.Hung in there kept playing and Sunday in the Cardschat free roll at acr,things could not of went better.Got good cards,and got lucky on a few allin hands,and ended up winning the tourney.So it will usually change if you just hang in there,its part of playing poker.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey cardschat fam!
So recently I’ve just been playing a bunch of tournaments and playing very well.... but sometimes i just feel that bad luck gets the best of me and for the last few days I’ve just been loosing all in with like KK’s and they might have something like AJ or 77’s and always hit there cards!! Any playing advice to avoid this from happening all the time?

There's alot of relative information missing from your post - how many games are you playing on average per week? Per month? Do you have poker tracker or holdem manager so you can review these recent runs yourself? Mayne share them with a group of poker friends or a study group you are a part of - one thing that always helped me - and still does to this day - is having another set of eyes look at my play and give me an honest response.

Tournament poker is full of variance and it is a natural part of the game. Sometimes you will have days where you lose with AAs five time out of the six times you got them - sometimes days like that will run back to back and no matter how good you play it just isn't going to work out in your favor - that's just bad variance and the solution is to apply proper bankroll management and play through the variance. If you find yourself tilting and it seems to be getting the better of you - then do NOT try to play through the bad variance - playing through only works when we are doing our best and making good decisions.

You have to remember days like this are normal. Days can run back to back and turn into weeks that can turn into months - ive been there, I lost about 65% of my entire roll in the midst of a 4 month swing because I didn't drop stakes fast enough to help myself minimize the damage. I've gotten most of it back but the point is I could've lost quite a bit less had I done what I KNOW to do. So if you feel like you are on a bad run - I seriously urge you to get one or more people to look at your recent runs and give you some feedback on your play. Keep an open mind, you might not love what they have to day but you at least need to consider their opinions.

At the end of the day and in summary to keep from rambling anymore - this is how we minimize tournament variance if you are taking the game seriously and trying to make money at it:

Put in sufficient volume -- this means at LEAST 100 games per month - I work a full time job and sometimes work 6 days per week and still put in 125-150 games per month - so I know it's possible.

Use good game selection - stop playing massive field tournaments! It's hard enough to beat 400 dummies, so beating 1100+ entries is going to be waaaay tougher simply because there's more variance in that field. A good example is the $2.75/2500 gtd on ACR - play the $3.30/1500 gtd instead -- the 2500 top prize is generally around $350 while the 1500 gtd top prize is generally about $320 or so - the difference is the 1500 has half the field size the 2500 does because everyone sees a bigger prize pool for less $$. In a nutshell - because of the player field size, you are way more likely to ship the 1500 before you ship that 2500 - so good game selection is key.

Bankroll management - there is no substitute for good brm. Know your limits, and drop down when you need to do so. It will save you from bleeding dry.

Study! Use the tools and people at your disposal to get better constantly. I study at LEAST 2 times a week for 3-4 hours per session and most of the time it's more than twice a week. Trust me, there is always something good to learn in this game.

I hope this is helpful, good luck to you on and off the tables.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its variance! nothing you can do about it besides either taking a break from poker for awhile and then come back for lets say 1 week or so

maybe review your hands and see if you didnt play the hand correctly?

thats all i can really add to this! hope it turns around for you

Last edited:
A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my opinion i can only tell one thing.
stop complaining.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It won't happen all the time.And on your street there will be a celebration of victories.Sometimes you win with 77, don't you?)So be able to lose with the top pairs.

A

Addias

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
freerrolls for professionals

as freerrols have a lot of beginners is it normal to play a little harder, since they can get into hands with values well below what would be acceptable?:confused:

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as freerrols have a lot of beginners is it normal to play a little harder, since they can get into hands with values well below what would be acceptable?:confused:
you don't necessarily have to play 'harder' in freerolls, just a lot smarter than your opponents. make more +ev decisions and get your opponent to make more -ev ones, and you'll do fine.

after that, it's just a matter of running well to get deep and taking a freeroll down. since majority of freerolls will have large fields, taking one down is more of a matter of luck than skill. skill is great and it'll be the difference between you profiting or not in the long term, but large field mtts require a lot of luck. think about it, if you're in a 5000 field freeroll mtt, you have to get through 4999 other players to win it, so things have to really go in your favor to do so.

P

pepomjp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are on a loosing streak is better to take 1 or 2 days off.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

Hi FadedFamous. What you are saying is the same with me. Since I joined CC about a month ago I've played a few freerolls and the truth is that I have not even reached first break. Mostly I haven't caught any playing hands. But I don't let it bother me because I know my day will come. GL

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take some time off when that happens.

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi mate, be sure it's not about you. I bet everyone here experience this time by time. There's nothing to do unless you avoid shoving preflop, especially in tournaments it's always better to play more careful than cash games. At early stages you might play tight and not shove when the stacks are deep. I know at some points, there's no way to avoid this but it's all about luck if you're favourite but manage to lose. There are a lot enough loose players would play bunch of cards out of ranges, out of position. You wouldn't shove or call allin with AJ maybe but some people do. Also, I'm sure you've also been in the positive side of this stories too. So it doesn't matter how great poker player you're, don't expect to win or get paid on tourneys more often. You can go busted (even in first few hands) lot of times in streak, back to back but it has nothing to do with you, *your luck or skills. I mean yes it's all about badluck but not only yours. It happens to all of us.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been there many times. You can't really avoid it as bad beats happen. You gotta really love poker to brush bad beats off and keep fighting.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a "mini vacation". Step away from the game for 2 or 3 days to recharge the batteries. If that doesn't work then try 5-7 days. When you come back to play you should feel rejuvenated. And hopefully in your case rejuvenation will equal run good. Good luck.

WeAreHot777

WeAreHot777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its something normal when you lose it's a part of the game, but remember time by time you will start to win ;) just try to improve your game skills, and I think you're in a right place.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi mate, be sure it's not about you. I bet everyone here experience this time by time. There's nothing to do unless you avoid shoving preflop, especially in tournaments it's always better to play more careful than cash games. At early stages you might play tight and not shove when the stacks are deep. I know at some points, there's no way to avoid this but it's all about luck if you're favourite but manage to lose. There are a lot enough loose players would play bunch of cards out of ranges, out of position. You wouldn't shove or call allin with AJ maybe but some people do. Also, I'm sure you've also been in the positive side of this stories too. So it doesn't matter how great poker player you're, don't expect to win or get paid on tourneys more often. You can go busted (even in first few hands) lot of times in streak, back to back but it has nothing to do with you, *your luck or skills. I mean yes it's all about badluck but not only yours. It happens to all of us.
Agree completely! Shoving/calling shoves is a no-win strategy for me. I do a LOT better when I just stay away from all all-in hands.

Not to say that I don't still get involved in those hands - I just lose most of the ones that matter. In a tournament, after five hours of disciplined play, it makes no sense to "gamble" it all on one hand unless you need to.

Last edited:
T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately I lose 50% of the times with AA. Yesterday I went all in with pocket aces and a guy called with 103 and won with a two-pair. And once I did the same thing and a guy with K2 bought 222 and won. I am afraid now to go all-in with AA especially close to the money.

shim36

shim36

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The possibility of bad things happening also exists.

You have to think about whether you need all-in.
If you have a short stack, that's fine, but going all-in with a deep stack is a problem.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Might be a good idea for that player to take a break from the game and clear his head. A few days off might be the best medicine for this run of bad luck.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good tournament players will almost always exit the tournament on a bad beat hand or a cooler.

the reason is, good players rarely get their chips in bad, and when you get your chips in the middle with a better hand than your opponent, you've done your job.

but that's no guarantee of anything. If you get all in preflop with Aces against your opponent who has Kings, you are an 81% favorite to win the hand... but that means 1 time out of every 5 times this situation happens, you will lose. 4 times you'll win but the one time you lose is the one you'll remember, because it's likely in a spot where you get knocked out of the tournament. Or a hand like 66 which you flopped a set and got all in again somebody with a QQ overpair to the board... and the river comes the Q to knock you out. This stuff happens, over and over again. It's the nature of a tournament player's life. LOL

We're looking for those rare few occasions when these hands DON'T happen to us. Maybe you get more aggressive and steal more blinds, which means you have a bigger stack to absorb these crushing beats. That's one way to try and overcome it. But it's gonna happen, and the biggest help a poker player can give themselves is the ability to laugh it off and shrug it off, even when it keeps happening over and over. Hopefully you DO win a tournament every so often, because that little bit of success is enough to carry us all thru the dark days when we can't seem to win anything. The phrase I always use is almost a religious one - "Keep the faith". Mindset is important in this game, if you let it crush your soul, it will... so don't let it!!

This is one of the best responses I’ve seen to this question that has been posed in different ways for as long as CardsChat has been around. The key message is that you do remember when you lose with these hands more as it’s usually what ends your tournament.

I’ve busted 12 straight times where I’ve been the favourite, not even a flip. It was pissing me off a lot until I read something similar to above. The next tournament after I busted this way, I took note and realized that I had won when others were all in against me and I was the favourite 4 times previously but I just remembered the last one most because it hurt the most as we were nearly in the money and it would have given me a healthy stack had I won. Don’t get discouraged and good luck.

RVTR7777

RVTR7777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you forced your opponent to call with the worst odds, then you did everything right. Luck doesn't depend on us. Some players are willing to take more risks at your table. They will lose much more often than they will win. Therefore, you must continue to play your strategy and put your opponent at risk on the edge of the abyss. Luck is not infinite.
Maybe it would be great if you took a break for a few days, review some of your games it would be great to learn how to fold pairs to go ahead tournament good luck.Fold top paers will go further.:deal:

Highsolation

Highsolation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there's no clear way of knowing when a downswing will end, but if you keep making +EV decisions, in the long run it should be profitable...I've done this and currently in a downswing :(

A

Anahita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
recently, every day with bad beat every hand not just 1 or 2 it’s happened almost in every hands losing with KK,KA,JJ,QQ,AQ,1010, k10 repeatedly but I don’t get mad nor angry about my competitors and did not throwing things to other players
It’s just a game and I am a challenger

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hang in there, don't let it get to you.. think big picture.

In poker, you can only play and strategize so much. Even with the best probabilities, eg, pocket AA KK or suited connecting cards, its just that, a probability. The only thing you can't control is the cards after the river.
Play your poker game the way that works for you, stick with what works. I've been through some nasty variance myself. It's hard to be patient, but eventually the variance will balance out and you will win the coin flips, and when you are favored.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
and for the last few days I’ve just been loosing all in with like KK’s and they might have something like AJ or 77’s and always hit there cards!! Any playing advice to avoid this from happening all the time?

Obviously there is no advice to avoid bad board runouts. Or for that matter running into the top of our opponents range, like when we correctly open jam KJs for 13BB effective on BTN and get snapped off by KK. This is a part of the game, we cant control. We can however mitigate the effects of variance by having a solid bankroll and a solid mental game, so that running bad dont cause us to also play bad (tilt).