When Should You Take a Break From Poker?

K

krezip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are tired, bored a lot. When you are angry and depressed, that will cause you to lose money. You can probably take a break if you lost a lot, after some thinking and relaxing you can get back all money, not if you instantly try to get it back.

couldn't agree more. If it's no longer fun or interesting then you're just burning the clock. Try to look at yourself from the objective of 3rd person and evaluate what you see.

B

BesseNuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When your brain is not doing well! Poker is logic, strategy! So you have to think a lot. You have to rest, sleep well, let bad beats go. Not to tilt. While something in poker is bothering you, you are no longer prepared to play!

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have the feeling, that you are tired from playing poker, of course, better to make a rest from poker for sometime.
If you are tired if playng poker, i,m sure, it will be really hard to show good results in the game, so, better just to have a pause.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have the feeling, that you are tired from playing poker, of course, better to make a rest from poker for sometime.
If you are tired if playng poker, i,m sure, it will be really hard to show good results in the game, so, better just to have a pause.
Yes, a pause was made in the game, but now the question is, how to understand that once again ready to play poker?

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes I end up playing much earlier than planned if failing in a row spoils my mood, I think it's better to stop than to play tilt

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When your brain is not doing well! Poker is logic, strategy! So you have to think a lot. You have to rest, sleep well, let bad beats go. Not to tilt. While something in poker is bothering you, you are no longer prepared to play!
I probably still have not enough rest, and my brain is not yet 100% ready to fight against formidable opponents!

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That hand was just a bad break brother that happens all the time you should of raised alittle more preflop to get the donkies out of the hand in the freeroll he may have called anyway seeing that he was a donk but that was just an unfortunate hand they happen sometimes more often then not your going to win that hand and you will have the 3600 in chips in your stack. So don't get disheartened by that one result and play on sir The poker God will be in tune with you soon and when they do you'll cash in the next tourney.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my break is usually from one day to the next or at the beginning of the day. At the end of the day I'm always playing

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Often the realization that you need to take a break comes after I lost extra money, but if it turns out to stop, then after I lost 3 tournaments in a row, the price for the tournament should not exceed 5 percent of my bankroll.

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you get to many bad beats and your start getting tilt, take a walk or best stop playing for the day go home relax. start fresh maybe even take some days off to cool down and be mentally prepare.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As soon as I lose interest in the game, I realize that I'm tired and it's time to relax, and then with renewed vigor again in battle.:secruity:

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Following reasons I will take a break-

1. Bad run of cards
2. Tilt
3. Bad mood
4. Bored of playing

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

1. Bad run of cards
2. Tilt
3. Bad mood
4. Bored of playing

1. Bad run of cards
2. Tilt
3. Bad mood
4. Bored of playing

Bored of playing

That's probably the worst moment that can come! God forbid it would happen again!
That's probably the worst moment that can come! God forbid it would happen again!

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I realize that I need to take a break from poker when I get hit with multiple bad beats in a row over a long stretch and than lose focus on my style of play and start making mistakes that I normally wouldn't.

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I realize that I need to take a break from poker when I get hit with multiple bad beats in a row over a long stretch and than lose focus on my style of play and start making mistakes that I normally wouldn't.
That makes sense.
I guess I don't get to the point where I need to take a break. I wish I got to play more per day. It is usually 1 to 3 hours per day. Then I might need to take a break sometimes. As it stands I would like to play more. not take a break.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That makes sense.
I guess I don't get to the point where I need to take a break. I wish I got to play more per day. It is usually 1 to 3 hours per day. Then I might need to take a break sometimes. As it stands I would like to play more. not take a break.
Play a day 1-3 hours is a little bit if you start playing in tournaments then it's time just to start playing! tournaments are 6-7 hours.

unnamed72

unnamed72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I realized that it’s high time to stop playing poker when I started hitting my older brother, I haven't been playing poker for 2 weeks, I just watch streams and read poker books

AMTTT

AMTTT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when the poker game is already tired and you do not follow what you are doing, and think how would quickly end the game on all tables

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Lol this is a very interesting question I play at 8:00 and understand that I must rest from poker when I see that I fall asleep in the chair. :D:D:D.

john harris

john harris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Same ole, Same ole..

Just starting to play again after 2 years break, first two tourneys I was beat by a 2 outer on the river. nothing changes:(:(

K

kelvin22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NEVER

Study more!! Play more!! Work harder!!
Agreed!!!
Imagine you're good at something else... like your job for example, to which you dedicate yourself very much. What happens when you stop practicing that job, only to find yourself after a few months/years, doing the same thing. Even though you may be good at what you do... practice is the mother of all learning, and without it, you might find yourself out of your league before you know it. Everything in life evolves, so does poker. I can say for a fact, (at least online), poker isn't played today, as it was played 10 years ago (in terms of strategy). In the end, it boils down to "What is your goal in poker", and "how far are you willing to go" in order to achieve it. Because if you do have a goal, and are willing to dedicate... quitting isn't an option.

Ropa

Ropa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you will stop playing poker completely, because poker is like it is...When you started playing it once and you liked it, then you probably never stop playing it completely, because....it's pretty much addictive...like drinking alcohol or smoking. But you can take some breaks and get few weeks off. Atleast i do that while im on downswing mode or lost my BR. Then i just don't play poker for a while.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stop when the Fun Stops !! I find that is when I cant keep my eyes open any longer...

Carpal Tunnel in the hand means I've held the mouse way to long!

Attachments

• Strong Hand.jpg
    Strong Hand.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 12
wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When Should We Give Poker a Break?

Many poker players say there are days when everything conspires for their defeat,and as much as they study, and play correctly, the variance ends up leading to the best,what would be the best way to try to overcome this gap when we play?
Some players say that a higher volume of game can at least decrease the percentage of the variance, is correct?
I believe that even if this statement is correct, the risk of losses is around 70% on days that the variance pulls its gains,there are players who prefer to stop playing for a few days, and in this way let the variance pass.

In which of these situations do you think fit?
Play more game ? or stop playing for a few days?

Ropa

Ropa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usally stop playing when i feel like that day isn't my day. Usually i don't play few weeks when i lost my BR and can't affoard to lose more money in poker on that particular month.