What's one thing holding you back from poker success?

TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are your strengths, weaknesses and what's holding you back?
Finally, what are you doing about it?

Jilty

Jilty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think diet and exercise plays a big part, I have a disposition I'm working on so when I eat I keep it healthier or try to and over the last couple of months I've lost some weight have more energy and I exercise regularly considering what I was doing.

Poker math I'm working on is pot odds recognising VPIP.

Last edited:
MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Good question!

Strengths -

Expert knowledge of the game, Great mental focus, low emotion, single and no kids, ability to read tells on players live, I'm really good at changing my style based on my poker environment, I'm very patient, very good at picking the most profitable tables

weaknesses -

Leveling, taking my time, thinking through EVERY decision going into auto-pilot

What's holding me back -

Time, one good bink in the right tournament

What are you doing about it -

Currently working on changing job positions to have more time available, So hoping for an awesome 2019

TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good question!

Strengths -

Expert knowledge of the game, Great mental focus, low emotion, single and no kids, ability to read tells on players live, I'm really good at changing my style based on my poker environment, I'm very patient, very good at picking the most profitable tables

weaknesses -

Leveling, taking my time, thinking through EVERY decision going into auto-pilot

What's holding me back -

Time, one good bink in the right tournament

What are you doing about it -

Currently working on changing job positions to have more time available, So hoping for an awesome 2019
Solid strengths... regarding the live reads, is that something you actively look for or do you notice something first then look out for it to see whether or not it's a tell?

I ask because I play live a lot and when I have previously actively looked for tells, Ifound the sessions to be more draining and the tells I get are not always reliable.

Are tells a part of the game that you actively work on improving?

In what way is leveling a one of your weaknesses? Where do you feel/ Think you go wrong?

Just to clarify, do you mean you take your time thinking through every decision or you need to take your time thinking through every decision?

I can relate. Sometimes I find myself on the turn facing a raise/ check raise with no recollection of how I got there. It's usually with marginal hands and usually the right decision in most cases but concerning.

Do pardon my barrage of questions.

Best of luck for 2019

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Solid strengths... regarding the live reads, is that something you actively look for or do you notice something first then look out for it to see whether or not it's a tell?

I ask because I play live a lot and when I have previously actively looked for tells, Ifound the sessions to be more draining and the tells I get are not always reliable.

In what way is leveling a one of your weaknesses? Where do you feel/ Think you go wrong?

Just to clarify, do you mean you take your time thinking through every decision or you need to take your time thinking through every decision?

I can relate. Sometimes I find myself on the turn facing a raise/ check raise with no recollection of how I got there. It's usually with marginal hands and usually the right decision in most cases but concerning.

Best of luck for 2019

Both, I'm always watching my opponents and generally live at least the places I play people just don't realize what they are giving off, as far as how fast or how they play with their chips, how they stack their chips, people still look at their cards early, and then how they hold the cards in their hand... the length of time people look at the board, when they look back at their hand, and many others

No, it has just become a strength over time.

I seem to give people too much credit... the sad truth is that most players aren't thinking as much about a hand as they should.. and I catch myself making a play assuming my opponent is at a level that they really aren't

I listed this as a weakness because I feel like I need to spend more time thinking longer through each decision. Making sure I am understanding the entirety of what is going on in the hand rather than just assuming and being on auto pilot

I don't mind that's what we are here for.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a lack of patience and deliberate decisions...

ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My weakness is that I often can't stop ..I try to deal with this and blocked on the room access to such games ,spin and go ,cache ..I rarely play knockout tournaments ...in MTT and SNG games, I usually go to plus each time improving their game ..I make scores for every tournament I play

weezy1312

weezy1312

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
i read a book few months ago and since then never studied on my game and didnt improve much , but with experience on the games i am picking few flaws and trying to improve but on a very slow pace. so id say no studying is my weakness , no much time to study , just enough time to play the freerolls and few other tournaments at that time , its the perfect time for me , the game starts just after i get home take a shower and eat and have some rest :D couldnt pick a better timing for those tournaments XD

C

ChuckNola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tilt is my main nemesis. I get too emotional and one bad beat in one tournament affects my play in a completely different tournament.

unnamed72

unnamed72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fear of losing money. my first deposit is $ 100, I lost everything in one day, now I only play freerolls

S

SkorpiosMC

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My pros: Analytical mind, decent sense of exploiting opponent's weakness
Never break my bankroll management even if the stakes are kinda boring
Targetting and playing with fishes.

My cons: Swings can be disastrous with my decisions
Sometimes trying to catch up with my losses
Lack of proffessionalism concering schedule

badboydean00

badboydean00

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have found learning the algorithm helps me be more successful...... its like playing computer roulette......you cant win consecutive hands ie 3 or 4 on the trot

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Time - really the only thing holding everyone back from the making all the money in the game you want. If your playing 100 games a day and playing 20 hours a day. sooner or later you find the table that can do no wrong for ya and you will offset all the other losses so rinse and repeat this everyday for the rest of your life, YOU WILL MAKE MONEY AND NOTHING IS HOLDING YOU BACK

Lethalbetz

Lethalbetz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management is worst weakness for me. Also not buying in for alot. Its usually big bank take little bank.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thanks for this question, it makes me examine myself. - What is holding me back. I will start here because this bothers me the most. I had a very good first 6 months of the year. And then I lost the drive to play everyday. I am trying to get myself back into my daily routine. This is not just about "playing" I stopped exercising regularly, I really started eating a terrible diet. I allowed myself to be distracted by outside things which I had no control over.

My strengths are that I keep a fantastic database, I have learned how to review my hands. I have an engineering background so keeping a spreadsheet and analyzing actions is "interesting" (i know it can be incredibly boring to some) to me. Even if I "tilt" during a session, I will never forget about my bankroll and will stop before I self-destruct.

My weaknesses are : I am getting older and my brain is not as fast as it once was :). I have taken too much time away from the tables. I sometimes make plays that are "personal", especially in Mtt's. My skill level is not good enough for me.

I am keeping this in general, when it comes to my weaknesses, I am very hard on myself. This helps me to study but I think it is one of the issues that keeps me off the tables sometimes. I am making this year- 2019. A complete year of study and moving up in stakes. I have the bankroll. I just have to FOCUS. I wish everyone achieves what they want this year.

TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for this question, it makes me examine myself. - What is holding me back.

You're welcome.

I will start here because this bothers me the most. I had a very good first 6 months of the year. And then I lost the drive to play everyday. I am trying to get myself back into my daily routine. This is not just about "playing" I stopped exercising regularly, I really started eating a terrible diet. I allowed myself to be distracted by outside things which I had no control over.

I get the sense you're a lone wolf as far as poker goes? Is that the case?
What are your thoughts on aligning yourself with someone at the same level as yourself or higher, with the same goal and drive as yourself. (For emotional support and reviews etc.)
My experience has taught me that No matter how much I'd like to do this alone, in poker it's always best if you have support and a completely separate life from poker.
I don't not mean for this to be condescending if that's the vibe you go.
If you had someone with your vision, he/She would have told you to fix up the moment you start going off course.

Do you keep a journal of your sessions and emotions?

My strengths are that I keep a fantastic database, I have learned how to review my hands. I have an engineering background so keeping a spreadsheet and analyzing actions is "interesting" (i know it can be incredibly boring to some) to me. Even if I "tilt" during a session, I will never forget about my bankroll and will stop before I self-destruct.

In the book "The mental game of poker" it is advised that quitting because of tilt is not control over tilt as it affects your volume and ultimately your bottom line.

Do you quit when you are tilting or when you reach the end of your planned session?

My weaknesses are : I am getting older and my brain is not as fast as it once was :). I have taken too much time away from the tables. I sometimes make plays that are "personal", especially in Mtt's. My skill level is not good enough for me.

Getting older could be an advantage. Patience, wisdom, experience and vision.
With age and experience, it's a lot easier to see things in the long term lense. At least in my case that has been the case.
There's a lot more to that least of course but that would be up to you to determine what strengths age has given you.

I think the only weakness is endurance and maybe caution to the point of risk aversion. The former can be resolved with endurance based trainings at the gym and the latter by plugging mental game leaks.

I am keeping this in general, when it comes to my weaknesses, I am very hard on myself. This helps me to study but I think it is one of the issues that keeps me off the tables sometimes. I am making this year- 2019. A complete year of study and moving up in stakes. I have the bankroll. I just have to FOCUS. I wish everyone achieves what they want this year.

Recently left my job to focus on poker for 2019. If I make it great. If not then I can tick that off my potential regrets.
I make bank playing live cash but slightly struggling with transitioning online. Mainly BRM.
What things do you have in place to maintain your BRM?

TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Majority of the reply is in the quoted answer. Not sure why the last part isn't

TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management is worst weakness for me. Also not buying in for alot. Its usually big bank take little bank.
I think the weakness is your mental game regarding BRM. If you are aware of a weakness and that weakness is not resolved.
The weakness is no longer the weakness, your resolution to that problem is what becomes your weakness.

What steps have you taken to resolve your BRM issue? How efficient are those steps? What could you do different to improve the outcome.

I ask these questions because I too. Learn and ask myself the same questions as I ask you.

We grow together.

fadisn

fadisn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management, patience and luck for sure !!

N

NarcisoAlfa

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The lack of banking slows me down, I'm usually good at reading opponents' tells and about that, I try to play freeroll to get a good bench and feel in my element
:boxing:

N

NarcisoAlfa

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The lack of banking slows me down, I'm usually good at reading opponents' tells and about that, I try to play freeroll to get a good bench and feel in my element

J

jofieloviedo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Time and knowledge

I guess what it is holding me back from my poker success career is time and I still have too much to learn. I guess I play good but I still need to bepatient and think cause most of the time I think they are bluffing and they are not but I guess my ego takes me to think that. I guess my ego makes me lose too much money most of the time and I guess if I learn to play with a strategy and follow it I could success in poker

T

turkishsilvers

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think food and alc and sleep are the most key, have to mantain those to be succesful

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing when I shouldn't be playing i.e not playing my best. When I'm scared or anxious to lose money or win money back that I've lost. Also playing at stakes I'm not comfortable in. Then there's bankroll management, every time I've gone broke, it's because I was playing with my full, half or third of my bankroll. Most of the times, I got it from freerolls but still.

When I make my first deposit this time around, I will make sure to follow strict bankroll management and play only when I'm really in the mood and right mindset to play.

A

animalitymk3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some things that held me back were my families background against gambling as conservative Christians. I probably would have had an easier time if family were not so against it. Bankroll managing is a bit of a weak point for me too.