What’s most important thing in poker?

Jay R

Jay R

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is most important thing in poker is analyzing your “spot”. When I play I am not phased in the least by all-in’s, overbetting, bluffs, or even to less extent bad luck.
I learn something from all good players & that has developed a basic Gameplan. It’s not perfected, but evolving. For example we have Doug Polk (microstakes) in the poker news.
What did I pick up watching & listening to him? He mentions “range” is how he plays. Is this spot in my “range”. I haven’t further examined what he exactly means, but to me it means I rate my spot is it in my “range”
So for example if you decide to play a spot you should develop your own range. Think about the cards you’re playing. Think about how big the blinds are. Think about you’re position.
Think about what your opponents might do.
Is this “spot” with it? Poker pros are congenital bettors. They will play any spot at any time for any amount. That was Negreanu’s downfall.
But we are not in that league, so for us we have to start with what “spots” we will play & which ones we fold. Look at your spot & decide if you’re going to play it.
One thing for starters is if the betting hasn’t gone over twice the big blind & you think you’ll get a look at the flop or next card (Negreanu likes to see the next card… good strategy if not too expensive) play that bad starting hand. But play it in context of whole tournament.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
All spots are inportant in analyzing a hand. The issue with poker is the game is ever evolving and every player is different. Just saying a spot in important would not be wise as every move made by a player changes everything. This is what I love about the game an why its never boring for the same. Any hand can be a fold raise or call depending on the situation and spot.

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well said.
From my point of view I try to play speculative hands at a low price and it is impressive how much you can win with those hands just by paying a blind.
also knowing when a premium hand is beaten and you have to let it go is important.
know when to stop bidding.

I

itsallgoodie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ranges are important but being able to adapt to every situation and understand that every player will sometimes make some wild plays is very important also.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience and picking the right spots to bet and to check.

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well said.
From my point of view I try to play speculative hands at a low price and it is impressive how much you can win with those hands just by paying a blind.
also knowing when a premium hand is beaten and you have to let it go is important.
know when to stop bidding.
I play a lot this same way. I like see the next card if it isn't too much. Learning your opponent and always watching and waiting for them to show a sign of weakness on a hand, then exploit that hesitation.

I also find it rewarding to pull of a nice bluff and get the other player to show you they had the better hand. I don't always show my bluff, but there are players that it is just well worth showing just to tilt them.

Oh yea having the best hand has its perks too.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
POSITION, Patience, Stack..

Position is huge. Need Patience to keep from overreacting. Need Stack to stay in available opportunities. Need Luck; your pocket pairs avoiding 4 suits on the board, or a made straight on the board.

AQA272

AQA272

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play within your bankroll and dont tilt. Simple

GL!!!!

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When playing poker, it is difficult to single out something most important because in poker all the details are important - bluffing, the correct size of the bet, the choice of the starting hand, the correct bankroll management, the analysis of the play of other players at the table !!! All these details are the key to a successful game !!!

P

pete_ferret

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournaments - Patience at the beginning and then mixing up your play so other players cant get reads on your playing style.

Cash Games - Dont know, keep losing. lol Maybe aggression??

VikyGia

VikyGia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Opition

The most important thing in poker is to make the best decision when it comes to which hand is the winner according to your position at the table.
It is important to note that the hands are with some probability but the difference between winning and losing is what you can hit on the flop, turn and river.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the most important

the most important thing is to analyze your cards know the winning combinations the possible odds the position you are at the tables think about the possible cards of your opponent

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The person asks the question and answers it himself. It's wonderful.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that the most important part of poker is luck. If you are unlucky, then whatever you do in the prizes you will not pass, perhaps the minimum prizes, nor the pleasure of such a game will be.