What are your poker mistakes?

dartwind

dartwind

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the most important things to know in poker is knowing what are your mistakes are and how to fix them.

Everything you can do in poker can be a mistake if it's done at the wrong time. But first let's be clear on what a mistake is.

You have made a mistake-

If you win anything less then winning the most money you could have with a hand you won with.

Or-
If you lose anything more then losing the minimum money with hand you lost with.

You can make a lot of different mistakes to not win the max or lose the min. The better you are at maximizing the money you win while minimizing the amount you loose the better a player you are.

There are a ton of other mistakes in poker.

What are your mistakes and how can you fix them?

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest mistake has been to play higher stakes without a bankroll and losing my little bankroll several times xD hope can fix that mistake soon ������

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hmmm... this is shaving a bit too close to the bone. Asking people to give away their weaknesses? I know what mine are and I'm working on them, but revealing them is suicidal.

But in the spirit of the question, I'll consider it as a review for people I know from one of my poker clubs (names changed to protect the innocent)

Dick: Unmarried (40s) man. IT Professional. Status: Casual player. Only plays in Club.
Notes: Weak, wide and passive. Calls any bet holding top pair. Always shoves his sets.

Monty: Unmarried (20s) man. IT Professional. Status: Casual player. Only plays in Club
Notes: Loose and somewhat aggressive. Bluffs river too frequently after a checked turn. Slow plays trips ALWAYS.

Dirk: Separated (50s). no job details. Casual but serious. Text book early 2000's poker. Tight-ish. Aggressive-ish. Predictable & straight-forward. Rarely bluffs.

Jammy: Long term rel. (40s). Serious. Plays several hours several times per week.
Very TAG. Takes advantage of call-stations. Folds to pressure without top pair or better. Capable of 3/4-bet. Tends to want to "Take pot down" rather than extract value.

So essentially, the mistakes boiled down to:

- Folding too easily
- Unrealistic bluff story /actions don't add up.
- Not enough 3/4-bets

- Playing too wide / playing too many hands
- Overvaluing marginal hands from early position

- Ignoring position (about half of them do)
- Not enough folding when they know they're beaten and unlikely to improve.
- Too passive

Oddly, this abbreviates to FUN POINT...
So remember to exploit your opponents' FUN POINTS!

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

Last edited:

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My poker mistakes is not giving credit to the opponent when they have a hand thus losing a lot of chips.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a live game if you are ever all in 3 players or more always flip your cards at the end because you might win a side pot. Once I saw my opponents hand that beat me so I mucked my cards without realizing he was low stack all in and the side pot between me and another opponent was bigger and I muck and gave him the side pot for free, my hand was better than his.

Julthefreak

Julthefreak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend

Unfortunately, I often make the mistake of assuming that I have the better hand and that my opponent is probably just bleating anyway. In addition, I sometimes play hands that are rather unusual like 7 8 offsuit. Too often I hope on a street even though I know it's not that likely to get one.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling alot of 3 bets, this can be a mistake, it depends. Sometimes it can be profitable ;)

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
MY mistake in poker would be to reach a point where I lose patience with a player, I focus so much on that player that later I lose track of the game and let myself win because of my impatience and anger. What would be the solution, focus only on the game not the players, ignore the player who is disturbing the table and have patience like a saint, lol

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the most important things to know in poker is knowing what are your mistakes are and how to fix them.

Everything you can do in poker can be a mistake if it's done at the wrong time. But first let's be clear on what a mistake is.

You have made a mistake-

If you win anything less then winning the most money you could have with a hand you won with.

Or-
If you lose anything more then losing the minimum money with hand you lost with.

You can make a lot of different mistakes to not win the max or lose the min. The better you are at maximizing the money you win while minimizing the amount you loose the better a player you are.

There are a ton of other mistakes in poker.

What are your mistakes and how can you fix them?

I made a video which outlined the biggest mistakes I made in my poker career.
The cool thing was that making this video took a lot of weight off my mind and instantly led to me playing a lot better.

The main mistakes were related to either not preparing properly, focusing too much on results and the short term, and being in a rush to move up limits.

I think it's a great exercise for people to write down their mistakes (as you have offered them here) whether it's in a public forum or in a journal. Going thru this process brings a lot of awareness to common issues which is a major step in the direction of fixing them!

Thank you for giving this opportunity to us! :icon_thum

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmmm... this is shaving a bit too close to the bone. Asking people to give away their weaknesses? I know what mine are and I'm working on them, but revealing them is suicidal.

But in the spirit of the question, I'll consider it as a review for people I know from one of my poker clubs (names changed to protect the innocent)

Dick: Unmarried (40s) man. IT Professional. Status: Casual player. Only plays in Club.
Notes: Weak, wide and passive. Calls any bet holding top pair. Always shoves his sets.

Monty: Unmarried (20s) man. IT Professional. Status: Casual player. Only plays in Club
Notes: Loose and somewhat aggressive. Bluffs river too frequently after a checked turn. Slow plays trips ALWAYS.

Dirk: Separated (50s). no job details. Casual but serious. Text book early 2000's poker. Tight-ish. Aggressive-ish. Predictable & straight-forward. Rarely bluffs.

Jammy: Long term rel. (40s). Serious. Plays several hours several times per week.
Very TAG. Takes advantage of call-stations. Folds to pressure without top pair or better. Capable of 3/4-bet. Tends to want to "Take pot down" rather than extract value.

So essentially, the mistakes boiled down to:

- Folding too easily
- Unrealistic bluff story /actions don't add up.
- Not enough 3/4-bets

- Playing too wide / playing too many hands
- Overvaluing marginal hands from early position

- Ignoring position (about half of them do)
- Not enough folding when they know they're beaten and unlikely to improve.
- Too passive

Oddly, this abbreviates to FUN POINT...
So remember to exploit your opponents' FUN POINTS!

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

It's only suicidal to reveal them if
a) everyone in the forum knows your online names and where you play
b) you don't expect to fix those mistakes

which i'm sure you will!!!

Z

Zepushka1975

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the video. It was very instructive.

The cool thing was that making this video took a lot of weight off my mind and instantly led to me playing a lot better.

The main mistakes were related to either not preparing properly, focusing too much on results and the short term, and being in a rush to move up limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z36XsMtSv0&list=PLBrNnyWekagOWtgX5zf2f0zFY3OxMUD4X&index=1&t=71s

I think it's a great exercise for people to write down their mistakes (as you have offered them here) whether it's in a public forum or in a journal. Going thru this process brings a lot of awareness to common issues which is a major step in the direction of fixing them!

Thanks for the video. It was very instructive.

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
MY mistake in poker would be to reach a point where I lose patience with a player, I focus so much on that player that later I lose track of the game and let myself win because of my impatience and anger. What would be the solution, focus only on the game not the players, ignore the player who is disturbing the table and have patience like a saint, lol
I have exactly the same fault, most of the time I am above average with a good stack, and I always lose because of a player who annoys me by the way he often steals the blinds and the suddenly I lose patience and I start to play badly

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My worst mistake is won lots of tournament, got a great bankroll, then the poker site shut down. :eek: Every things gone, include my money. :(

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
and I make my mistakes most of the time for lack of concentration!

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the overconfidence and not knowing when to leave the hand

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Playing out of position, bet sizing, over-valuing weak hands

dartwind

dartwind

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z36XsMtSv0&list=PLBrNnyWekagOWtgX5zf2f0zFY3OxMUD4X&index=1&t=71s

Evan, Thank you!

Awesome video too! I've actually been following you, and your poker advise, for some time on Youtube and I believe you are one of the best poker coaches that I have found. You have a way of expressing ideas and concepts that I easily understand and absorb. Thank you for giving back to poker and for helping me improve myself.

To All, Check out Gripsed Poker Coaching and on Youtube- Gripsed Poker Training.

dartwind

dartwind

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing out of position, bet sizing, over-valuing weak hands

These three things is where I made a tremendous leap in poker.

I was playing any two cards aggressively anywhere and almost always going broke until I learned to study range charts and the power of position.

I was always afraid to loose on the turn and river so my bet size was way to big. This meant the weaker hand would fold, and I would win almost nothing, or the better hands would call or raise and I would loose everything. This happened over and over again. After studding proper bet sizing, and removing that fear, I began to make money at poker.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I can breathe again!

Great vid! Much more useful than I was expecting. So I've been writing down my mistakes...and it is starting to look like I do more things wrong than I do right! (A bit depressing actually...But only at first.)

The comment I appreciate most however is your comment on seeing each session as a practice. Just putting it in this perspective has taken a weight off my mind. I had a bit of a crisis a couple weeks ago where it seemed nothing was going right. I had tried to absorb too much information and was making too many changes, and not doing it well. It got to the point where I was almost afraid to go back to the tables. I had set my expectations so high that it was interfering with my ability to play. It's almost like I can breathe again!

Now, I'm looking forward to getting back to the virtual felt...and have a renewed excitement. Writing the mistakes down also makes it far easier to keep myself in check.

Thanks for putting in the time to say what needed to be said!

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

kbuinowski

kbuinowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are your poker mistakes

My mistakes is mostly that I don't stay patience enough to play. but some time i can set and be patience enough to be able to cash the tourney.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For cash games. It’s playing more deep stack 3betting more. Play more low suited connectors in position
Bluff and semi bluff more. Check raise more as a bluff. Etc.

Also there are some opponents that for whatever reason in cash games have my number and can outplay me. I can’t read them or they can read me well. Some of the really tricky players in cash games I have to sit with them for several hands over months before I can get a handle on their tendencies. This is reason I prefer tournaments. Cash is more of a grind

Last edited:
KasyakoFF

KasyakoFF

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think my mistake is that I play too few hands! sometimes good cards don't go and the blinds just eat up my pot ((

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest mistake is playing when I'm tired. I get a bit reckless and tend to hero call in spots I should fold and compound my mistakes. Best to just walk away when you're exhausted and come back fresh.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if it makes a mistake, poker has the potential to win its hand.
Therefore, It will not try to correct the mistake at all.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At times play to loose and near bubble playing too tight I need too work on patience.