What are the best tips for beginners in poker?

MauroMMMM

MauroMMMM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to know what you think are the best tips for those who are starting to play poker. Thank you.:cool::cool:

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
The best advice would be to start reading and viewing many games before you lose money! The temptation is great to start playing but the results will surely be different from the expectations you have.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is very important to learn, to develop your game even with the help of online materials such as the knowledge material on Cardschat. It is important to have possible conversations with hand analyzes with peers here. Listening to podcasts and watching videos can also be a great help. For beginners as well as professional poker players alike.

RimworldDoctor

RimworldDoctor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My best advice would be: remember that you don't have to win EVERY time, just 51% of the time. It's hard for new players to understand plus-EV plays. This mentality also stops you from tilting after you lose a 4:1 advantaged flip.

It's going to happen, but if you win more often then you lose, you'll be a winning player in the long-run.

L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is to learn a lot and analyze your game and first try to create a tight aggressive game style.

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is to start playing only freerolls to gain experience, build up a bankroll and watch tutorials. And then you can start playing tournaments of 0.10.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Be patient.
2. Do not spend your own money, build a bankroll by playing in freerolls.
3. Always follow the bankroll management.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot control. Don't needlessly inflate the pot with sub par hands.

youri

youri

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no substitute for studying the game, understanding fundamentales and playing a lot. There is a saying about poker which says '' Poker is easy to learn but takes a lifetime to master ''.

Take your time and love the game and please don't slow play ACES, the poker gods will punish you.

P

padman400

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think playing cash games and lots and lots and lots of hours just playing smallish stakes.

Study is good, but hands on playing and then reviewing your hands afterwards for me is the best way to learn.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Start from the basic fundamentals and learn from there. There is plenty of material out there to get you started in the right direction. Don’t read too much at one time as you will not remember too much. Learn a little at a time and go from there. Then study, study study when you can. Best hands for studying are the ones that make you think or tank on.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important thing is not to rush to gamble. Play with virtual money for half a year. Then earn your first bankroll on freerolls. And only then try yourself at different tables. I personally started like that.

emanuelorteg

emanuelorteg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good hand does not always win, remember that there are 5 more cards to go

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to give general strategy tips, so I won't do that. But my best advice for a beginner would be:

1. Create a bankroll management plan (and stick to it)
2. Related to the first point; read up on what variance is and how this relates to the kind of game you want to play.
3. Study (in whatever way, talk to friends, do hand reviews, watch some videos etc.)

Gl mate!

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good advice here. I'll add: bluff less and value bet more. :) Sounds simple, but too many beginners try to "make moves" and "stone cold bluff" opponents by bet size alone. This is extremely exploitable if not done in moderation since you will just be building the pot with sub-optimal hands and giving up on value for your best hands.

This advice helped me a lot when I first started. I didn't value bet enough and I bluffed too much :D Apparently, lots of beginners did the same.

O

Oksana55

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play, do not be discouraged, learn and learn

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First three things I would focus on as a new player:

Starting Hand Selection
Position
The importance of folding and not wasting money chasing hands.

PokStorm

PokStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learn, learn and learn. Then practice, practice and practice again in as many freerolls as possible to develop what you have learned. There are a lot of interesting things on this forum, you just need to spend a little time there.
Like that, you should have some basics quickly. ;)

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please establish your own "rule".

And as You felt by yourself every time You played, the "rule" is raised, please update.

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only advice I can give is "No matter how good you are (you can be the best player on the planet) if you don't have the right mind set and did not develop mental muscle you will eventually go broke!"

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First - do not get overwhelmed by information. There are thousands of boker books, articles, videos, forum posts etc. how to play poker. Forget all of those things, they will make you only confused as a beginner.

First thing beginner should to know is not how to win, it is how to stop losing money! Basic investor's rule, and yes, poker is investing. In every pot you have to make risk analysis, that's why pro poker players are almost without exception a great investors.

You don't need to be even a great player to make money in poker; the secret is bankroll management. Before you deposit money into poker site, study everything possible about this topic. I lost many deposits because of lack of information on how to maintain a proper poker bankroll.

When you deposit money into poker site, I recommend depositing 100€/$ and play only at the lowest stakes. During this time read this book: https://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Poker-Like-Business/dp/1580423116.
This is my favorite poker book. It will tell you should have a HUGE banrkoll compared to the level of stakes you play, that will make you tilt less when you face downswings (or even upswings, google: achievemephobia.)

And of course, learn some basic strategy of some game type and stick on it until you crush it. My recommendation is to play only simplest games and easiest to learn - Hyper Turbo (turbo and regular as well) Heads Up Sit and Go's. By playing this game type, you can make improvement extremely fast. And in general most of your poker decisions are against one person.

Whodahustla

Whodahustla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tips?

Tip #1. Have REAL expectations. The best loose, the best have lost and the best WILL continue to loose.....so that means you will too!…but you'll WIN too! If you stay consistent and observant to the game...in time....you'll win more.

Tip #2. Know that you will loose A LOT of money!....I guess this is sorta connected to Tip #1. You WILL loose a lot of money. All the greats have lost a lot of money. Some of them would be broke if it wasn't for company endorsements. This is why not everyone plays poker. It's not easy to loose a lot of money and you know what they say, "If it was easy...everybody would be doing it.

Tip #3. This tip I learned the hard way! Be kind and patient to WHOEVER is in charge even if they do something f*cked up. Whether you're playing online or live. Whether your speaking to the technical department or a higher up. The moment you show the slightest hint of frustration they will label you as addicted to gambling and they WILL suspend your account. Then, they will make you go through hoops to get your account reactivated. They love finding a reason.

Tip #4. (I learned this the hard way) Never go into settings and exclude yourself from a Poker App. Your gonna lose a hand one day and feel like your ready to quit(but you're never really gonna quit) you can just stop playing for a day or two but never ever ever ever exclude yourself. If you do it sends a message to the Federal Gaming Association and you will be Excluded from EVERY SINGLE SITE for the duration you put. There's no way to fix it. I have to wait until 2024 before I can play online again. Even though it was a self- exclusion.

Tip #5. Make sure to have a good mixture of online and live games. I believe I would have made a lot more money if I had played more live cash and poker tournaments but the convenience of online poker got me. People in general see more gains in live poker. (After Corona of course)

Tip #6. (Personal preference) Never go all in without an Ace in your hand.

Tip #7. (Personal preference) Once you get more than what you made.......get out. I don't care if it's a dollar. There's always tomorrow. This method had me withdrawing from the ATM more times then I can remember LOL! $$$:D$$$

Tip #8 Never enter a tournament if you got something planned because tournaments are an ALL DAY THING!

Tip #9 (Personal preference) NO FISHING!!! Fishing will have you broke and tilting 9 times out of 10. If the flush or straight didn't come out on the flop or in some cases the turn. Don't call big bets hoping one will come out on the Turn or River.

Tip #10 Have fun but play to win! I've learned that although method and skill is important..in most cases it boils down to two things....WHO'S THE MOST FOCUSED? AND WHO'S GOT THEIR EMOTIONS IN CHECK? If your not in a good mood then don't even start. You got the rest!...........Good Luck!

Poker Tips