True Online Winning Rule #1

ddg373

ddg373

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never Deposit to a site that offers free $ tourneys.

If you can't cash in a field of random freebuy players, what chance do you really have against skilled players?

feel free to add

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you. As far as actual game play goes, I would say the number one rule is learn to fold. :)

Last edited:
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This makes no sense to me - can you elaborate?

mich1976

mich1976

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Never Deposit to a site that offers free $ tourneys.

If you can't cash in a field of random freebuy players, what chance do you really have against skilled players?

feel free to add

I think you are wrong, playing in free tournaments is a bit different game than for real money. I think it's best to learn to play at minimum rates and play on 1 table.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you think there is a skill gap between freeroll players and .10 MTT players, you're greatly mistaken.

freerolls and buy-in games are not the same. That can be said for skill level, though if you're comparing freerolls and the very bottom of the buy-in micros, it's very similar. However, structure of the games can differ very much. If you think a freeroll with 50 BB starting, only paying top 10/1000 players and a $1 MTT with 100 BBs starting, paying 15%/1000 players is the same, then you're mistaken.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are good for practice but people will play differently in them to tournaments where they put money in - a lot more loose shoves in freerolls when people have nothing to lose.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depositing is good if you have the ability/funds to do so because freeroll grinding is brutal. Yes, you can build a bankroll from the freerolls but don't use freeroll success as a sign that you will be successful in real money tournaments. In freerolls you will get paid off way more than in a real money tournament with your big hands. Different animals.

Also, depositing usually gets you some bonus $ to unlock. Plus playing for real money has rewards for playing in raked games.

The key is to play enough volume to get a sample size to tell if you are good or just on a good run of cards.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are good for practice but people will play differently in them to tournaments where they put money in - a lot more loose shoves in freerolls when people have nothing to lose.
I don't think freerolls are good for practicing anything. Even if you decide that you will play good and try to improve in freerolla there will always be players that don't care and don't even try to win unless they make a big stack. Winning in freerolls is down to who runa better not who is better.

K

kelvin22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Money will be money to everyone. Whether it comes from freerolls or paid games. Don't assume that paying players don't engage in freerolls, because they do, and more often than you think, and some times, it's actually them, that are always going allin, because they don't actually care if they win or loose, it's potentially free money. In my opinion, freerolls are a waste of time, because inevitably, you will have to play a few good hours until ur ITM (that is if you survive that long), time which could be spent in a paid game, with more odds and a better structure.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats reverse real life poker :D

I think its harder to cash in freerolls than normal tournements because
theres alot of bingo going on, and many players dont really care about
anything and do a ton of random stuff thats impossible to predict.

When people have paid for a tournement, they are more likely to play
in certain ways, and your actually able to play more poker and less bingo.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are not only useful for beginners. They are convenient for players who can not afford to make money on the site, but at the same time they want to play cash or a tournament with a fee.Sites increase attendance using freerolls, attracting new players.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hahahahaha everybody miss the point here.This theme is all about adding your own online winning rules not to argue about the first one.My rule is:"Never sit on the table with full bankroll".As for your comments about this dude post, he is absolutely right and just reconcile.I mean if you don't agree and it's not true why then you all play cc tournament???

509fio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A little hard to compare (for example) on-demand ACR freerolls to CC freerolls. The fact that they are even apart of an online poker community kinda says to me that they are at least a somewhat educated recreational player. CC freerolls just play better than most.
But two things to add for rules though.

FPS is bad, don't do it. ABC until the table dictates otherwise.

Good play, patience, no spew, no hero calls and solid decision making creates a winning player. Take your time and be happy with +5bb an hour. The hardest thing for most of us I think. We all put so much time into it and expect wicked results now when in reality +5bb/100 hands is not a bad winrate over time.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree....

I think it is much easier to make it ITM in a $50 MTT with just 150 players then in a freebie with 1978 players and only 50 places paid...

The strength of the field is not the only factor that determines if a tourney will be profitable...

Poker Rules - Poker Games