Treat Your Poker Like a Business - Dusty Schmidt

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On Chapter 7, really enjoying this book! Yes it was written in the mid 2000's during the Poker boom, but I am learning a lot considering I am looking to play live games again very soon.

I learned about this book after seeing it on a bookshelf in an interview on the documentary
Bet Raise Fold: The Story of online poker.

I am not interested in online poker myself, but the book is really great at teaching you how to look at poker as a business...for online and live games alike!

5 Stars

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On Chapter 7, really enjoying this book! Yes it was written in the mid 2000's during the Poker boom, but I am learning a lot considering I am looking to play live games again very soon.

I learned about this book after seeing it on a bookshelf in an interview on the documentary
Bet Raise Fold: The Story of Online Poker.

I am not interested in online poker myself, but the book is really great at teaching you how to look at poker as a business...for online and live games alike!

5 Stars

Dusty Schmidt was a legend back in the day, all you really needed to know is that his online username was LEATHERASS. LOL Think about it. A real grinder's grinder, but he also had a column in Card Player Magazine every month. Dusty had it all.

So where is Dusty today? Your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps he took his winnings and rode off into the sunset. Perhaps he wasn't so good at running his poker business and went busto. It's hard to say because Dusty Schmidt just kinda sorta went away in the days after Black Friday destroyed and decimated the poker boom here in America. I think Dusty may have actually been Canadian, not certain, I think he played out of Vancouver?

Anyhow, just wanted to add my little useless blurb in the hopes someone knows how Dusty is doing these days. I sure hope he's healthy and hearty, and I hope his leatherass has healed a bit. :D

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He’s still outspoken as ever on Facebook 🤣, I believe he’s still playing poker and lives out west—though can’t say for sure.

His was a good book and a smart idea to write back then, when everyone was becoming a pro poker player. Can’t believe enough time has already passed since then to be able to say “those were the days” haha

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He’s still outspoken as ever on Facebook 🤣, I believe he’s still playing poker and lives out west—though can’t say for sure.

His was a good book and a smart idea to write back then, when everyone was becoming a pro poker player. Can’t believe enough time has already passed since then to be able to say “those were the days” haha

Yes he is lol. I love your emoji.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it would be awesome to hear an interview with him today!

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

I blocked him so long ago, this sure brought up some memories.:p
Yes he is lol. I love your emoji.
So he's calmed down and quit hating on women so much? I'm not going to unblock to find out :D

I think it would be awesome to hear an interview with him today!
No

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Bet Raise Fold: The Story of Online Poker.

5 Stars

that was a great book indeed, it contained a lot of useful advice that any aspiring poker player could benefit from.

I also remember reading an article about his visit to a brain doctor who said that all the multitabling, and constant decision making was really wearing down his brain and may cause him issues related to stress in the future.

I had a similar experience when I visited a naturopath... and that's why these days I play just a couple of tables.

When you're playing for profit as Dusty was (and I was in the past) pushing the volume and getting the hands in is the way to go. :eek:

When you're playing for pleasure though, I find that being able to take your time, process all the information and think thru every decision fully without being under extreme time pressure is the optimal approach. :D

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
that was a great book indeed, it contained a lot of useful advice that any aspiring poker player could benefit from.

I also remember reading an article about his visit to a brain doctor who said that all the multitabling, and constant decision making was really wearing down his brain and may cause him issues related to stress in the future.

I had a similar experience when I visited a naturopath... and that's why these days I play just a couple of tables.

When you're playing for profit as Dusty was (and I was in the past) pushing the volume and getting the hands in is the way to go. :eek:

When you're playing for pleasure though, I find that being able to take your time, process all the information and think thru every decision fully without being under extreme time pressure is the optimal approach. :D
I like your reply:) what is your take on this, if you have the time. I am not trolling, I watch and read a lot of poker. Just curious you're thoughts on this! BTW I have no idea why they glitch video in the digital world in this production, its insulting lol
https://www.amazon.com/Poker-Brain-Inside-Minds-Worlds/dp/B075SHR2MX

Last edited:
Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've never seen the movie, but the poker brain is certainly a cool thing
It's got a lot of self control built into it, much like a meditator or a monk has from the discipline of all their practice.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Before Black Friday most of the poker sites were offering fantastic deals. Sounds like Dusty sure knew how to use it to his advantage.