Can somebody please explain

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
position to me? I have read and studied a number of different formats and all I hear is position, position, position. The problem is half the time they’re talking preflop and half the time postflop and they never tell what they mean or explain. I just don’t understand.

Navin Sarabjeet

Navin Sarabjeet

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
SR
Chips
position to me? I have read and studied a number of different formats and all I hear is position, position, position. The problem is half the time they’re talking preflop and half the time postflop and they never tell what they mean or explain. I just don’t understand.

Hello,
When they are talking about position they mean that when you are in the early positions(ep) pre- flop(means before the first 3 cards are dealt) such as under the gun( UTG is 1st to act after the Big Blind), UTG1 and UTG2 you should not enter the pot with weak and mediocre hand only premium. such as AA-JJ and AKo-AJs
Then you have the Mid positions such as Lowjack(LJ) and High Jack(HJ) you can enter the pot preflop with a little wider range than the premiums
Then you have the Late positions pre-flop such as Cutoff(CO), Button, Small Blind(SB) and Big Blind(BB). Here you can play a much wider range of hands

As for Post-flop. This simply means AFTER the flop (1st 3 cards) is dealt

I hope this explains a bit

Good luck:)

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,
When they are talking about position they mean that when you are in the early positions(ep) pre- flop(means before the first 3 cards are dealt) such as under the gun( UTG is 1st to act after the Big Blind), UTG1 and UTG2 you should not enter the pot with weak and mediocre hand only premium. such as AA-JJ and AKo-AJs
Then you have the Mid positions such as Lowjack(LJ) and High Jack(HJ) you can enter the pot preflop with a little wider range than the premiums
Then you have the Late positions pre-flop such as Cutoff(CO), Button, Small Blind(SB) and Big Blind(BB). Here you can play a much wider range of hands

As for Post-flop. This simply means AFTER the flop (1st 3 cards) is dealt

I hope this explains a bit

Good luck:)

Not really. Why is the button supposed to be the best position even though there are two players left to act.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Not really. Why is the button supposed to be the best position even though there are two players left to act.

You are of course right. The big blind has position before the flop. After the flop and for the rest of the hand, the button has position and the blinds are first/second to act.

Having position means you are the last to act. The last to act (position), can change throughout the hand.

The button is last to act on all occasions, except before the flop. Before the flop, the button has position on all players, except the SB & BB. So that means, it is the last to act most of the time. That is why, it is the favored position.

Acting last, you have some information re the strength of your opponents hands and they do not know what you may or may not do.

Hope that helps and good luck with your poker.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your looking for "exact" numbers,,you won't get them,,,that's the beauty/curse of the game. :deal:

T

theproko

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the button is the best, thats because is the last to act after pre-flop

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
yeah. sometimes if you raise and knew the big stack was going to go in, you may not have went in the hand. being button, since u bet last, you know if the big stack is out of the hand already and can play accordingly.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Theory Of Poker, David Sklansky
Chapter 17: Position

In all poker variations acting last is best because in acting last a player has the most information to make a decision (opponents have already acted). Acting first is the worst position because the least amount of information is available. As a player when you have last position you should make the most of it.

Advantages of last position....
  • End the action means no fear of a raise behind
  • Can flat or raise when a bet from early position is made
  • Can bet when checked to from early position
  • Can get a free card when checked to from early position
  • Can slowplay a monster hand
  • More hands are playable
Threats to last position...
  • Check-raise from an opponent in early position
Advantages of first position...
  • Check-raising opportunity
  • Betting out and then re-raising (3betting) to a raise (2bet)
  • Drive players out by raising (2betting) a raise (1bet) from last position
Threats to first position....
  • Checking a big hand hoping an opponent in last position will bet - but the opponent doesn't bet (takes the free card)
  • Bet out with a calling hand and get raised by opponent in last position