The Power of Position (Day 1 Course Discussion)

Sinqui3526

Sinqui3526

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a big problem that I have whenever I play poker. I recently started playing it and I have learned many things but what I still don't know is in which positions to pay or raise or fold with certain hands.

B

bigthereal

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
position is very important!
Dealer is the best seat :)

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Good start to the course. The material is presented in an easy to digest way. There was nothing in there that I hadn't seen before but I think this is a great tool for new players.

Looking forward to reading more

T

Tux97

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is paramount. Also, it can change across streets. I mean, if you open pre-flop from MP and all fold after you except the blinds, then you are effectively last to act from the flop onwards [emoji106][emoji846]

HristoHristov

HristoHristov

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hadn't been login at Cardchat from a long time, so for me was a pleasure to going through the forum and to found this Poker course.
Day 1 was very interesting and fun, so I will keep my focus and will try to go through all videos.
Here I believe will find good forgotten from me poker trues which I almost have stopped use in my game.
Thanks a lot, I got back my willingness for a play!
Hristo

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position is one of the most important things in poker, for example, I consider the position of the small blind to be the worst.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the nice words guys, good luck in the course + keep us posted on your progress!

M

masha535

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The position at the poker table is a factor that many novice poker players significantly underestimate. Your position at the poker table can (and will) have a significant impact on winnings / losses with the same starting hand. How skillfully you will use this factor will determine the profitability of your poker sessions.
Before you start any of your starting hands in Texas Hold'em, you should always be aware of your position regarding the position of the dealer (the position of the "dealer" is often called the "button").
  • The nearest positions immediately to the left of the button are called early positions. They use the abbreviation EP-early position.
  • The nearest positions directly to the right of the button are called late positions. They use the abbreviation LP-late position.
  • The places between early and late positions are called middle positions. They use the abbreviation MP-middle position.

A2ub3

A2ub3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is a critical concept in poker. Playing in position is very profitable, while playing out of position is not. If you are in position, it means that you are last to act so you can see what your opponents do first. If you are out of position, you are first to act, which puts you at a disadvantage

jeanpierre1279

jeanpierre1279

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When someone asks me about the "value" of position, I like to tell them that any value we get from being in position is only achieved by taking action on the additional knowledge we receive. If we play passively when we are in position, we have no advantage and position now means very little.

When we see wider ranges proposed when in position, it is not because our QTs has more equity when we are in position. It means we may be able to actively play QTs when in position and be successful.

Do you guys agree with this?

I completely agree. When you are in position your QT gains more strength because you are seeing who played before and their position. If you are someone in UTG but you are a looser player, you can defend your position (in the case of small blind or big blind) and go push. I have had such good gains.

C

celtics33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wizcup, You should generally fold almost any offsuit broadway hand in late position facing an early position raise. Against a very loose opponent, calling with KQo would be reasonable. But as a rule of thumb, you should fold there because you're too easily dominated and these hands don't play as well as the suited broadway hands.

We'll go into a lot more detail on this in future days of the course too :)
interesting take. im just curious as to why the suited factor would play such a significant role since it only really means about a 3% added advantage to your hand.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
An interesting concept that the course caught my attention is the 'Relative Position'. In this sense, identifying this type of player mentioned in the course, having the possibility to choose to sit right before him can be interesting.​

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
interesting take. im just curious as to why the suited factor would play such a significant role since it only really means about a 3% added advantage to your hand.

Great question. First, 3% isn't so bad! But that figure is also only for all-in equity match-ups. Suitedness adds more than that when it comes to post-flop playability. More frequently you'll be able to profitably continue at the flop or turn with flush draws (or flopped backdoor flush draws) holding a suited hand. The effect is enough to make many hands playable that would otherwise be folds.

S

somersetlad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just starting the course. Been on a downswing so the though of coming back on here and coming back to the basics might be a good thing

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just starting the course. Been on a downswing so the though of coming back on here and coming back to the basics might be a good thing

Definitely, taking a break with some study always helps. Good luck when you return to the tables and let us know if you have any questions as you progress through the course.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is my favorite article, the best, knowing how to play from the position in poker will make you a winner, you will always have advantage over your opponents, with some aggressiveness you can dominate the hand, you will not win in all hands if you are in good position, but being always will give you the advantage, I have seen players who dominate the position very well, experience counts a lot

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It is THE critical factor, which starts a good course in a game and it is a very valuable guard of the efforts we make to go higher!

dunc1189

dunc1189

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks both, just watched the first days video and looking forward to the rest - especially the hint about more in depth discussion on heads up play, find this quite a weak part of my game. In terms of relative positional play, this is something i really need to enact more at the table. Do you advise playing much tighter opening ranges if you still have a maniac left to act after you who is prone to 3-bets?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks both, just watched the first days video and looking forward to the rest - especially the hint about more in depth discussion on heads up play, find this quite a weak part of my game. In terms of relative positional play, this is something i really need to enact more at the table. Do you advise playing much tighter opening ranges if you still have a maniac left to act after you who is prone to 3-bets?

Glad to hear you're enjoying the course! :)

In general, yes I agree and would tend to tighten my opening ranges with a 3-betting maniac to my left and I would further the adjustment by 4-betting the maniac way wider than my default range when the player 3-bets me.

O

observador22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I liked day 1, being able to understand how valuable positions are and more. I would like the videos to have a subtitle in Spanish, since my English is medium, anyway very grateful for this contribution!