Pot control, SPR related question

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The quick reminder: SPR - stack-to-pot ratio. For example, if effective stack 30bb, pot 10bb, then with 30/10, SPR gonna be 3.

I read somewhere, when you have top-pair+ on a flop and your SPR is three or less, you bassicaly should stop care about sets, two pairs, overpairs and stack with your opponent.

Does it mean that I should not let the pot go above 30bb with a top-pair, when play standart "op-raise call HU" situation?
I want to know how much can I spend on c-bets (if I decided to) with something top-pair alike whith effective stack above 25-30bb.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't know the answer
but I guarantee one thing , you will receive a bunch of answers if your questions be less complex and specific.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like BullXT, I'm not really sure either.

What I will contribute is (regardless if this statistic is true a lot of the time or not) that this sounds like a guideline by math via pot odds and not something to implement blindly.

Even "Top Pair" is extremely vague. We are HU in the scenario provided and I hold a hand like T5o (Woolworth's this hand is sometimes called because that was the name of a well-known "Nickel and Dime store" back in the era of Doyle Brunson becoming well known). Now the Flop comes with 5, 4, 3, all suited and matching none of our cards...you expect us to want to ram and jam to stack an opponent with our measly pair of 5s here? Especially against a tight player showing resistance, there is too likely a chance they connected with this coordinated and wet board better than we have...at least enough to justify some caution. Top Pair is overplayed far too often by amateurs and a weak pair of 5s (top pair) is a great example of something extremely vulnerable.

I'd feel much better about Top Pair on a board of A, Q, 4 rainbow when we hold the famous "Big Slick" (AK).

I don't know the specifics on SPR applications in this scenario, but the absence of accounting for things like the board runout or coordination (or even player types and ranges for opponent) makes me highly skeptical of advice like this.

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a guide I usually use (SPR is flop SPR):
SPR <8.85: 3/4pot bet at flop and turn will essentially render you all in by the river
SPR <7.63: 2/3pot bet (same)
SPR <5.49: 1/2pot bet (same)
SPR <3.66: 1/3pot bet (same)
SPR <2.86: 3/4pot bet (same)

note: I created my own software to aid me with this, and other stuff, during play.

anyway, with SPR of 3 and having top pair, if you double-barrel 1/3pot, you are firing with a total of 30% of the stack that you have when you start the flop. and you'll be left with less than a pot-sized stack by the river, and hope that your top pair holds by showdown.

it's a matter of fold equity. the general rule of thumb is that if you have to bet 20% of your stack, you might just wanna shove if you still have fold equity.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SPR is just a guideline, and there are certainly situations, where it will be completely fine to stack off top pair good kicker with an SPR of say 3-6. It all depends on the specific opponent and board texture. With an SPR of more than 6 folding top pair should normally be strongly considered, if the opponent wants to play for stacks. But again this is just a guideline. If I have AK on A72 rainbow, and a complete maniac check-jam the flop, then I am probably not folding, even if the SPR is 10.

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know the answer but I guarantee one thing , you will receive a bunch of answers if your questions be less complex and specific.
...Which will be look like this :D
To evaluate we need more information. How were the bets? Your stack? Start, middle or end of the game?
But ok. In short, how to not overplay your hand?

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SPR is just a guideline, and there are certainly situations, where it will be completely fine to stack off top pair good kicker with an SPR of say 3-6. It all depends on the specific opponent and board texture. With an SPR of more than 6 folding top pair should normally be strongly considered, if the opponent wants to play for stacks. But again this is just a guideline. If I have AK on A72 rainbow, and a complete maniac check-jam the flop, then I am probably not folding, even if the SPR is 10.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/624U9C6s5

I think here is good usage of that. What about you?