Polished Poker: Vol I - Free Poker Ebook

M

MaDaMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Finished reading it.
Good nice read, i finished most in a few hours last night and polished the rest today.

I am really interested to see the hand history books since there aren't many things like this around.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Finished reading it.
Good nice read, i finished most in a few hours last night and polished the rest today.

I am really interested to see the hand history books since there aren't many things like this around.

Cool... what was the most interesting and/or helpful to you do you think? How would you rate it overall compared to anything else you've read about poker?

M

MaDaMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cool... what was the most interesting and/or helpful to you do you think? How would you rate it overall compared to anything else you've read about poker?

Well as luck has it i have read a loooot of poker bokes.
Super system oc,Negreanu, Helmuth, Annie Duke, Phil Gordon, How to crush microstakes, mid player poker books....a lot.

Rating it is a little harder. I have found a lot of nice successful tips in almost every book. Yours stands out in the EV section and in the defending blinds and mental game aswell. It is like dining in a restaurant vs a home cooked meal. It has a more nice warm approach.

I am not versed in the EV region to be honest, because until know i haven't played much cash games. Your book has helped me a lot understanding EV better and the fact that there are those tables with EV on dry board and all those options that is actually really helpful.

I also liked the parts on the mental games and it was a real good read with defending blinds and the options you have which i haven't seen in ANY poker book, not as detailed anyway.

I really look forward for the hand history book and honestly i could be hundreds of pages and i would love to read it. There are people who buy hand histories,but i haven't had much luck in finding info on that.

I work in advertising as a art director so if you need some front page work done on your cover at least i would happily help you :)

P.S.: I hope i got my point across. Sorry, i wrote this in the break of a tournament.

Last edited:
Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Minor math gripe:

There's 12 combos of a given offsuited hand, not 16. There's 16 combos total (s and o) of a given unpaired hand.

Other than that and a couple of spelling errors the book is excellent so far. I love the tension count bit particularly.

Last edited:
T

tosha_79

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
=(((
I am not happy that I did not respond to a message

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cannot wait to check this out, as I have played mostly MTT's, so this should be cool! Thanks for making it available to all.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well as luck has it i have read a loooot of poker bokes.
Super system oc,Negreanu, Helmuth, Annie Duke, Phil Gordon, How to crush microstakes, mid player poker books....a lot.

Rating it is a little harder. I have found a lot of nice successful tips in almost every book. Yours stands out in the EV section and in the defending blinds and mental game aswell. It is like dining in a restaurant vs a home cooked meal. It has a more nice warm approach.

I am not versed in the EV region to be honest, because until know i haven't played much cash games. Your book has helped me a lot understanding EV better and the fact that there are those tables with EV on dry board and all those options that is actually really helpful.

I also liked the parts on the mental games and it was a real good read with defending blinds and the options you have which i haven't seen in ANY poker book, not as detailed anyway.

I really look forward for the hand history book and honestly i could be hundreds of pages and i would love to read it. There are people who buy hand histories,but i haven't had much luck in finding info on that.

I work in advertising as a art director so if you need some front page work done on your cover at least i would happily help you :)

P.S.: I hope i got my point across. Sorry, i wrote this in the break of a tournament.

Great, thanks for the feedback. It's appreciated. It will be interesting to see what people like the most. I'm sure there are certain chapters that will stand out more than others. When I write, it's hard to get a sense of that. I want to cover so much, but also can't over saturate the reader.

I'm heavily debating about doing the standard route of having a second volume with more of the topics I wanted to cover, but didn't put in the first one, or doing a workbook next, and then a 3rd volume with more theory topics. I'll sort it out when I get back and sit down to write. Both sound appealing.

Any ways, checking out what people say in here, and I'm glad everyone likes it so far. If there's something you don't like though either, don't be shy.

Alright, back to the beach... just amazing out here.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Minor math gripe:

There's 12 combos of a given offsuited hand, not 16. There's 16 combos total (s and o) of a given unpaired hand.

Other than that and a couple of spelling errors the book is excellent so far. I love the tension count bit particularly.

Yup, already saw that and one other similar mistake. I'll correct it when I get back. I don't think it takes away from the point, but definitely want to fix it. Thanks.

G

Goathair

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi John, hope the honeymoon is going great.

Just wanted to say thanks for putting the book up for free, some really good stuff in there. I'm definitely looking forward to the workbook stuff.

K

Kkingpoker30

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it easy to say story anyone but more peaple in real lost the money and it is hard. in my opinion

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you!

Back now... back to reality! Hope everyone is enjoying the book. I'm going to make a couple of minor fixes, put a new version up and then open this up to any questions, etc... I'll try and lead a formal discussion of the book here soon. Want to give people some more time to read through it, try some of the ideas, etc..

Hi John, hope the honeymoon is going great.

Just wanted to say thanks for putting the book up for free, some really good stuff in there. I'm definitely looking forward to the workbook stuff.

A

A9ofHearts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks a lot for doing this John. The book seemed really good, however I did have some formatting issues putting it on a kindle.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks a lot for doing this John. The book seemed really good, however I did have some formatting issues putting it on a kindle.
Thanks again.

You're welcome. Is there any special software to convert to Kindle? I haven't looked into it, but I'm interested in checking it out. When did you download it, because I re-formatted it after initial release. I guess the very last editor changes messed up a lot of formatting that I didn't notice. It's all been fixed now.

R

RiverOfDreamz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can actually just email the pdf format to your kindle address - and it will download to your kindle. You can find your kindle address in your amazon account details. Format was fine on my kindle when I did it that way - but I have one of the old ones, not the fire or anything like that. Will be reading your book tonight while at work - thanks for the download.

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't you have to put "convert" into the
subject line to get it into a mobi format?

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can actually just email the pdf format to your kindle address - and it will download to your kindle. You can find your kindle address in your amazon account details. Format was fine on my kindle when I did it that way - but I have one of the old ones, not the fire or anything like that. Will be reading your book tonight while at work - thanks for the download.

Ok, thanks. I'm going to make some printable formats.

It's funny, on 2+2 someone made a post about the ebook in their publication forum a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea who made it, but they asked some pretty simple and honest questions about it. The other day I responded and put some info about the book. No links to anything, and nothing out of the ordinary.. and they deleted the thread. They seem to be hyper afraid of any competition at all. Wonder why... :)

A

A9ofHearts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're welcome. Is there any special software to convert to Kindle? I haven't looked into it, but I'm interested in checking it out. When did you download it, because I re-formatted it after initial release. I guess the very last editor changes messed up a lot of formatting that I didn't notice. It's all been fixed now.

I used an online converting website to change the format, so it might not be anything on your end. Also, I don't really remember when I downloaded it.

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use Calibre to auto convert and send pdfs etc. to my kindle. Doesn't do too bad a job and it's free. You set it up to send them to amazonusername @free.kindle.com

catchitfool

catchitfool

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks John i just reg my email and cant wait to read, nice story and get back to you soon.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use Calibre to auto convert and send pdfs etc. to my kindle. Doesn't do too bad a job and it's free. You set it up to send them to amazonusername @free.kindle.com

Cool, thanks. I'm going to look into this and see if I can have a kindle download link too.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Havent used my Kindle for ages but though you could just drag and drop PDFs onto your kindle

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A Kindle version would be awesome!