Poker range

Jay R

Jay R

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you followed Negreanu vs Polk.. one of the takeaways was Polk’s playing style. He mentioned that he plays “range”. Also he felt there were some holes in Daniel’s game & he said in the heads up competition he felt he wasn’t the best player out there, maybe in top 10. So what is this range thing. I guess it’s the card combinations he will play or will not play.
I assume it’s not just the starting hand he is referring to. He doesn’t state his range, but my guess is he doesn’t play “stupid cards” as a rule. The 2-7, 3-9, 4-10.. Daniel is more apt to play them, thus his defeat.

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
I haven't seen Polk's interview so I can't comment on that, but I can say some basics about ranges.
Ranges can be complex. For yourself (unless you are the BB and nobody raises) your starting hand is your decision making point. Are these two cards good enough for me play this hand from the position where I'm at?

But of course, this goes much further. You also have to put your opponent on a range (if you know him at least a bit). You have to think - the flop came as (some random cards), with what types of hands my opponent is most likely to continue, and so on...

See also what CC's "own pro" have to say about ranges:
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/day-3/

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

I haven't seen that interview so I can't comment much ... what I think is that Daniel Negreanu is one of the best poker players in the world, even if he loses 1000 hands in a row, his poker career is formidable !!! it is part of the game to lose also even if you play very well if your opponent is lucky there is nothing to do, and it does not mean that it is better even if he wins !!! DANIEL NEGREANU THE BEST ...