Poker Mathematics

Dutydog

Dutydog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are the best books on Poker Mathematics? I’m reasonably competent at maths and pretty good on probability, but certainly not super advanced. So I’m not looking for anything too complex.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What are the best books on Poker Mathematics? I’m reasonably competent at maths and pretty good on probability, but certainly not super advanced. So I’m not looking for anything too complex.

I have a list of pretty good and useful books. Each of these books contains valuable information and it all depends on you and your perception.
Jared Tendler "The Mental Game of Poker"
Ed Miller "Texas Holdem for beginners"
Ed Miller "Professional NL Holdem"
Ed Miller "Small Stakes NL Holdem"
Andrew Seidman "The Easy Game"
Tri Nguyen "The NL Holdem Workbook"

But still, our community has a great free course that will help you improve your skills much faster and achieve good results.
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The bible for this sort of thing has always been the book written by Bill Chen and Jerrod Ankenman, entitled quite simply "The Mathematics of Poker".

But I'll warn you - even tho I don't own the book and never read it myself - most people say it is extremely difficult to deciper their math and their words to put it all into a format that can be applied at the tables.

The books listed above my post are quite a bit more readable for the average player, altho the Jared Tendler book has no real math, its all about the psychology aspects of the game, great book but nowhere near a math book of any sort. Ed Miller is fabulous, I read everything I can find from him but his books are quite expensive (for me anyways) and thus I don't own them all even tho I wish I did. Don't know Seidman book nor Nguyen book.

I suppose if I had to recommend a math book for basics, I'd go with Sklansky's The Theory Of Poker, and he also co-wrote a book with Ed Miller called "No Limit Hold'em Theory And Practice" which I think is excellent (I believe it was mostly written by Ed Miller who really is a terrific poker writer).

P.S. I suppose any list ought to have "Applications of No-Limit Hold em" by Matthew Janda on it, read the amazon reviews as proof... but again, I do not own the book nor have I ever read it. But the reviews tell it all, and someday I hope to have a chance to peruse it.

Last edited:
Rockyfour

Rockyfour

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All you need to know, is that you can x2 your amount of outs to figure out your basic probability per card.

Flop a set about 1/7.5 times, make a pair about 1/3.

And that's really all you need to know lol.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Statistics of Poker by Steve Selbrede, is a super easy book to understand and apart from showing you mathematical statistics it gives you real life examples of how they work when making it real at the tables, it is entertaining and it helps you a lot to improve your poker style. Regards.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All you need to know, is that you can x2 your amount of outs to figure out your basic probability per card.

Flop a set about 1/7.5 times, make a pair about 1/3.

And that's really all you need to know lol.

You insult the creators of so many good books about poker by thinking that it all comes down to this. It is as if you said that mathematics is summarized in that two plus two is four, it would be an offense for any mathematician, the same you are doing with any lover of poker statistics, you can not summarize everything so roughly, I imagine that that kind of thinking it is reflected in your game. Regards.

Rockyfour

Rockyfour

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You insult the creators of so many good books about poker by thinking that it all comes down to this. It is as if you said that mathematics is summarized in that two plus two is four, it would be an offense for any mathematician, the same you are doing with any lover of poker statistics, you can not summarize everything so roughly, I imagine that that kind of thinking it is reflected in your game. Regards.
lmao, I am crusher okay, I'm not a mathematician.

Mathematics are barely relevant in this game. Like this game requires very basic math skills to play properly.

Random1609

Random1609

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a list of pretty good and useful books. Each of these books contains valuable information and it all depends on you and your perception.
Jared Tendler "The Mental Game of Poker"
Ed Miller "Texas Holdem for beginners"
Ed Miller "Professional NL Holdem"
Ed Miller "Small Stakes NL Holdem"
Andrew Seidman "The Easy Game"
Tri Nguyen "The NL Holdem Workbook"

But still, our community has a great free course that will help you improve your skills much faster and achieve good results.
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/

Thank you for sharing such useful information. It will be interesting for me as a beginner in poker to read these books.