Poker mathematic’s/any formulas I should be remembering?

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So far, I have always just looked and compared chips out comes when playing. I don’t know %’s or odds 3 to 1 and such I just know what looks good and what doesn’t look good when calling. Learning odds and having to use math to find % but just don’t know, it’s all so much, what should I be concentrating on?

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that we have to concentrate on things that we believe. You can learn it by three aproaches: math, charts or a program. You can mix them too. Knowing where you are and where you want to be and act in accord with your own plan is the most important.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You cannot accurately calculate the expected value equation during play using mental arithmetic (for multiple reasons :)) but understanding the concept and implications of the formula is pivotal in being a successful player.

You can however quickly and easily calculate the probability of hitting one of your outs, compare that to the pot odds you're receiving, the current and prospective strengths of your holdings and use that to help decide how to proceed.