PLO Starting Hand Theory, I'm Profoundly Confused

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, PLO noob here.

I have a bit of confusion about why JT98 is ranked in the top 10 PLO hands (better than KKxx). I would think this hand blocks itself from a straight to some extent? Since you can only use 2 cards from your hand.

Suppose you use the T and 9, the 8 and J in your own hand block your straight do they not. Am I looking at this all wrong? Why is something like AK89 or AKJT double suited not a better hand?

And more confusing still, why on earth is JT98 better than KQJT? :confused:

And then following that logic why is QJT9 not in the top 30?

Please enlighten me :D

Edit: Following the chart in The Pot Limit Omaha Book by Nguyen

Last edited:
Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, PLO noob here.

I have a bit of confusion about why JT98 is ranked in the top 10 PLO hands (better than KKxx). I would think this hand blocks itself from a straight to some extent? Since you can only use 2 cards from your hand.

Suppose you use the T and 9, the 8 and J in your own hand block your straight do they not. Am I looking at this all wrong? Why is something like AK89 double suited not a better hand?

these 2 combinations are good and outs are the same value.
but seniority is different.
Do you like more PLO or Hold'em?

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
these 2 combinations are good and outs are the same value.
but seniority is different.
Do you like more PLO or Hold'em?

Thanks for the reply.

I prefer to play NLHE. I'm just starting to dip my feet into PLO and get more into studying its theory. So I don't know yet which one I will like more :)

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
You use only 2 cards to make your final hand but all four cards can connect to a flop. The more cards that can work together the better. The strongest straight draw in holdem is up and down 8 outs in Omaha you can make 20 outs straight draws.

J1098 is considered great starting hand because it is highest combination that has the most straight possibilities 5 through Ace. KQJT only has 7 through Ace possibility.

Omaha is a post flop game the preflop percentages are a lot closer than holdem meaning you are rarely ahead by a lot or a big dog to anything. Hands are defined on flop.

Hi guys, PLO noob here.

Suppose you use the T and 9, the 8 and J in your own hand block your straight do they not. Am I looking at this all wrong? Why is something like AK89 double suited not a better hand?

Edit: Following the chart in The Pot Limit Omaha Book by Nguyen

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You use only 2 cards to make your final hand but all four cards can connect to a flop. The more cards that can work together the better. The strongest straight draw in holdem is up and down 8 outs in Omaha you can make 20 outs straight draws.

J1098 is considered great starting hand because it is highest combination that has the most straight possibilities 5 through Ace. KQJT only has 7 through Ace possibility.

Omaha is a post flop game the preflop percentages are a lot closer than holdem meaning you are rarely ahead by a lot or a big dog to anything. Hands are defined on flop.

Thanks, JT98 makes way more sense now :)

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It does seem like it blocks it's own straight. Starting hands are less powerful in PLO.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some players over use the blocker concept With running cards yes there are blockers but sum of all the wrap possibles minus the blocker make it powerful draw hand and sometime better than a made hand.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands