Playing against a set

black1diamond7

black1diamond7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
guys how do you know we are against a set when we hit top pair top kicker?

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
You can't know for sure, but you can put villain on a certain range. If his range contains lots of sets and strong hands then you should play more cautiously.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely one of the tougher things to smell post-flop. Ultimately it's about gauging the strength of your hand at that point and determining if what you have can beat a majority of plausible hands your opponent can hold based on the action so far and any knowledge or history you have with the villain in previous hands.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If this is a passive opponent and suddenly he raises on the flop, then the weakest hand he can have is 2 pairs...

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In practice, you cannot possibly know this. I can only guess if the opponent persistently calls you or reraises you. But this does not mean that he really has a set.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If this is a passive opponent and suddenly he raises on the flop, then the weakest hand he can have is 2 pairs...

I strongly agree. I learned that the hard way. You should not even call in that situation even if you have pocket aces.

D

dukgen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually if that player is putting all his chips in (solid, doesn't bluff), then chances are its a set.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually get a huge re-raise from an opponent on the flop or turn. Because a large number of draws are closed on the river. The main thing is to pay attention to the size of the bet. It is always more than 3-bet.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on how to play top pair with top kicker.
You flop a pot-sized bet and get called by your opponent.
Оn the turn, you bet the pot again and get a call from your opponent.
On the river, the opponent goes all-in.
Your bet of 0.7-0.6 pot on the flop is called by your opponent.
the opponent re-raises on the turn.
On the river, the opponent goes all-in.
In one word, the opponent must show a desire to put on the stack on a seemingly safe board.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
You can't be sure about it, you can sometimes guess it, but you only know for sure when it comes to the show down. But whether you should always risk playing until the show down is another question. Everyone plays his game as he thinks it suits him best. But if I suspect that what is on the table and the type of game of my opponent that he has something like a set then I would just fold. Of course only when I think I am at a disadvantage

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first thing you need to know is, "TPTK is not a great hand." It's not bad, but one is unlikely to stack anyone (or be stacked) with it. As a general rule, calling an all in with TPTK is bad.

As other have already written, one has to watch Villain's play. Every street Hero needs to be thinking of a reason for Villain's play, "Why did Villain call by bet?" "What could she have?" are question one should ask after every play.

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
strong, they always end up hitting hard. more when I think I have the best hand.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is impossible to know 100%. One can only admit the possibility of the existence of a set.

V

Vinao182

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
man I think the danger of betting against straights isn't even high pairs, it's Three of a kind, I've fallen out of several tournaments going all in with Three of a kind, and lose to ridiculous straights kkk, I went to see the equity on connected boards are close to 34% for Three of a Kind against 66% for straights, good to know

Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!
It seems to me that it is difficult to find out that the opponent has a set ,but it is possible from the range of his hands,the size of bets and notes on the opponent.But only if he is a nit or a tight passive player.The aggressor -it is not readable.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
to the villain

:deal:eliminate before the flop because after the flop all is lost check fold