Open ended straight draw on the turn

Sdub2020

Sdub2020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you shove or fold or call to half of your stack bet?

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Do you shove or fold or call to half of your stack bet?

It depends...

On about a gazillion factors...

One of the vague fundamental 'rules' of poker that always stuck in my mind was: 'don't call on the draw'..

You're (generally speaking) usually better off either folding or raising instead.

One of the key considerations would be stack sizes and who is the effective stack etc etc..

Who are you playing against? What are their tendencies?

What stage of the game is it?

Shipping half your stack or more with air + a draw (even quite a good one) seems a tad risky for me..

If you think you can get the opponents to fold, then shove. If not... Fold.

$0.02c

Sdub2020

Sdub2020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for giving me something to think about. This particular hand work out well because I caught the straight. When I think it out it is a risky play.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try posting an actual hand history for review in the cash game or tournament forum. That will give you much better feedback.

Sdub2020

Sdub2020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the tip can you post a link to the spot I should post hands

B

bealpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the turn. You need around 20% equity to make the call, however factoring in implied on you can call wider. As you are calling off half of your stack your implied odds of hitting the straight wont change much as you dont have much left behind in terms of spr, however as you have not stated what the size of the pot was on the turn i cant say wether its profitable or not. Instead i will give you an example hand to help you understand.

Say we get to the turn with our OESD pot is $2000 we have $1600 behind and villian covers us. If villian bets $800 here we have to call $800 to win $3600 giving us an equity of 22% as our chances of hitting OESD are around 16% this is not profitable. Thus we fold although with our remaining stack we have implied odds to call because it will be pofitable if we hit. We have to look at our situation if we miss and we will be left in a toug spot with a small amount of chips more than 80% of the time