Most important thing that improved your game?

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, number 5# (and 4#) is my favorite. I have studied a lot of theory, doing different exercises etc, but the biggest part of mastering mental game (which I think is the most important part of being a good poker player) is that you enjoy playing poker.

Playing for money is the worst thing to do (you can't control results, the root of the tilting). I have to remind myself all the time why I am doing this - it is finding an enjoyment playing the game itself. It is the truth in every area.

The sad thing is that there are not many courses on this topic - enjoying (more) playing poker. Can you share some tips on how to improve this area?

Valera979

Valera979

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

What is the most important thing you learned about the game and would like to pass on to new players like myself? Imagine that you were teaching yourself when you first started playing, what would you tell him? And what to focus on more and what not to focus on?
First of all,avoid posts in games.If your cards are not 100 percent won, then do not make onlin at all!

And I've also noticed that when I play aggressive poker, I quickly fly out.And now I play carefully, from the defense.And it pays off.Recently, I have been using this tactic for 80 percent of the games to win prizes

On June 20, he played in the Neymar freerolls. 200 $ 5 shinty go prize money. But alas he took 201st place)

Last edited by a moderator:
Porras2424

Porras2424

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not long ago I had a worrying streak that the negative variance lived, slept and even accompanied me to all the rooms, thanks to the work of improving my strategy and occupying the CC tables ... by the way, for those who are interested They can help them in poker strategies ... thanks to cardschat that gives us free tournaments and many more help ,,, a month and a half that the line went free fall, I managed to master my fear, the useful, until now Tempest passed and with patience and a lot of study, I am again straightening the line that little by little, it is already going up, I have already won several dollars, playing cash in not $ 10 and. Not $ 5 ,, bad streak tournaments in the CC tournaments, lately .but little by little, we will win some ,, the most important thing of all is learned, even to lose, it is a learning ... last three months ,, luck friends ,, all winners ,,

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The biggest boost at the initial stage for me was the study of range by position. Read Herrington's book on MTT. Don't read his book about cash only. Now his book is not relevant, but you will understand how to think correctly.

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I started listening to the Thinking Poker podcast, and that plugged me into the broader poker community and a wealth of associated content to explore and think about. Really opened my eyes to how it is a lifestyle and not just a game.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
FUN

Watch every season on the pokerstars youtube channel my favorite is THe Big Game 6Max. Phrase said by Phil Hell... th:deal::angel:at is poker someone has to lose. accept defeat and start the journey

Bugi

Bugi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most important lesson I've learned is to be patient. That helps me go to the next hand if I catch a cooler which happens fairly often. I keep playing until I'm tired. Then I get busy with other things that have nothing to do with poker.

If I recognize that I'm playing poorly I'll just stop and come back tomorrow. I ran long distance in middle school. That's all about pacing and endurance. So is poker. Patience begets endurance.

T

tuca_rp_pokerstars

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Read books and articles, learn about ranges and odds. Choose your own range. With this the number of big mistakes reduce.

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are going to start from scratch, do a poker school course, or many. Start with the (I am guessing pretty great ?) Cards Chat one available right here !

At least you should get a good over-all grasp of the "science" of the game, before blowing any hard earned dough.

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've improved my river bets and my bluffs a lot.:joyman::eek:

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have patience, watch video's, don't get angry and wait for good cards.

italorohdrigues

italorohdrigues

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say to myself to keep it simple. Don't rush throw the basic concepts and fundamentals, settle your ranges from all positions and strategies, stick to them. Focus on your pre flop game first and learn more as you get experience by playing... a lot. It gets easier every day. Understand that the main goal of the game is to maximize profit, understanding how the game works will make you spot what others are doing wrong and you can exploit them, that sums today's poker.

P

Player1472

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Discipline

I found that discipline to play only when you have an edge is probably the most important for me as a poker player. I could recall times when I was tired or not fully well to play but continued to play. Discipline to play only playable hands within reason, too is a part of the game. The above mentioned items probably improved my game the most.

I

iLoV3P0ker

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I watch strategy videos and follow streamers on Twitch. And most important think is just a own plan for playing.

davidkimtai89

davidkimtai89

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to make a call rightly , i alway miss out a winning hand , i think we need to have positive feeling , when we think optimistically we will have more high hands , hope you have much experience and learn from mistakes we will get won .

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good preflop strategy. I play no limit longhand games. It is very important to play with position and with good hands. In this way you avoid headache situations because you either have the clear best hand or you can fold without problems. Aggressive play is also important. If you bet you have two chances to win. Either the opponent folds or you win in the showdown. It increases your equity.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
To me the big thing is not to overvalue your hands....DO NOT GAMBLE...and always remember the fold button!!!!

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
To me the big thing is not to overvalue your hands and DO NOT GAMBLE !!! Remember the fold button...It comes in handy

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Patience!
Above everything else, Patience and Practice in that order have improved my game, some players say that "Poker is a marathon, not a sprint," You need to pace yourself and wait for the right opportunity's to amass chips and eventually win.
You also need to learn how to walk before you can run, nothing ever comes over night and to be a good player you have to learn how to suffer the bad beats and suck-outs which will hit you from time to time, but eventually you will be on the better side of them and a better player for your trouble.
It really does not matter what I play for, Match sticks, Jelly beans, Peanuts or Money, I play for the fun the game gives me, the social interaction, and the interesting conversation, so really Money is way down on the list, and is not what drives my passion for Poker.
It's Fun and an enjoyable game,Win or Lose does not really matter, it is all about how you play the game.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience and practice this are two set of skills that are important in any aspect of life not only poker and definetely are important into poker too )

M

malibuflo1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not to increase the pot with any card you have, you will be able to give up the hand if the pot is not big

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
#1 Understand bankroll management so you can take emotions out of the game
#2 Learn the fundamentals of a solid strategy, keep it simple in the beginning
#3 Learn how to find good games where you can have an edge over weaker players
#4 Play when you are feeling good, and play for enjoyment (not to 'make money')
#5 Fall in love with learning, and studying, and practicing regardless of the results

For a quick start check out this playlist: http://gripsed.com/win

Or you can join my site (completely free) and get access to my entire library of teaching material going over exactly what you asked for... what I wish I'd learned when I first started playing poker :)

My game was improved by two books:

1) poker-igry-razumaW poker-igry-razumapoker-igry-razumapoker-igry-razumaWinning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time inning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time

2) Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Timep poker-game-razuma oker-game -razuma

Recommend!

Top 10 Games