Is mindset as important as skills in poker

A

azgeda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you think you should have a good mindset to win in poker or do you only need skills?

G

gnunes92

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Always and also keeping calm under pressure and make sure that sometimes even AA can loose

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
This question looks so simple but then think of what you see at the poker table and you notice that some people are only playing according to their feelings, allin play with the most impossible cards and you just think how can that be so when you get into this If you look at it you might think that it's just about the state of mind. But if you follow these people then you will quickly see that it is temporary happiness and it did not take them far. But if you watch people who play with their skills then you can see that they sometimes have the bad luck to lose because that's part of the game, but they get much further than those who only play according to their feelings. That's why I think that you need more skills, but you should also listen to your feelings, but if the skills say fold then you should also fold and leave the feeling out

4give4live

4give4live

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you think you should have a good mindset to win in poker or do you only need skills?

It is not only the psychological state that is important, but also the physical. I do not advise you to play in a state of even light alcoholic intoxication. Usually, nothing good comes out of it. Better to give up alcohol once and for all. Your body will be grateful to you.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We can consider these two characteristics equally important and must be associated with each other to be successful in poker.

Sulfuros001

Sulfuros001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mindset

Mindset is actually 80-90% of what poker is all about, luck is a secondary thing

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Every little thing matters in poker.

Leeyonah96

Leeyonah96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me. Mindset. I believe we all have the same skills but we have different mindset. If a person is lazy or have less concentration in the game then the player will surely tilt. If the player mindset is thinking that my life depends on the game and need to win. I think there is a higher chance that this player will win rather than the lazy one

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I believe they go together. To be a winner, you have to be strong both mentally and skill wise.

shim36

shim36

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker is a sport for the brain and the heart. If your mind is not calm, you can't see things calmly. Both are important.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
In general, I think that only smart people can have good skills. People who are not very smart must first become wiser, and only then will they be able to acquire good skills and achieve good results.

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe mindset is extremely important. You could be a very skillful player but if you can’t keep your emotions & thoughts in check, they can get the better of you.

Staying calm, relaxed, focused and positive are only going to enhance the skills that we have to increase our chance to win. Eating healthy, exercise and good sleep will help our bodies and minds to function more optimally.

We also need to understand and remind ourselves that variance plays a huge part in poker and we can’t control it, but we can control how we feel and how we react towards it especially when in a down-swing.

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tough and complicated question. I think skills will help you extract more money from the games you're involved in. Either you've made a good hand or not, you will manage to lose less and win more than anyone else who's below these skills. I'll try to seperate ''mindset'' from the concept of ''skill'' in poker.

Mindset is the main power behind everything where it will help control yourself overall and on the table. Someone who are looking for going full time in poker as a profesional should've set psychological strength in his head. And it's not made in a day or two. I believe it's like excercise which needs to be readjusted regularly everyday, maybe in every hours or necesary moments of the game. All the strategies or game skills won't help you in that. Also, it's poker mentality on its own though the guy with the best discipline in real life might lose control on the table and that will happen most if he/she knows the game and is a good player. Eventually the poker mindset is definitely other factor where most people lack (same for me but I don't dig for it anyway). However, you can't achieve that level of mindset without all those experiences. Either you win-lose big, or hit the bottom. I believe someone should dive to the deep, saw or better have been in all those aspects of the poker might later develop that mindset if he's commited to do.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Hi.
I think that the acquisition of skills and their development directly depends on the mental abilities of the player. Therefore, I believe that smart players still have a better chance of success.
Good luck.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi again azgeda. To have a positive mindset while you are playing is a skill in itself. If you can do that, you are ahead of the game, because believing in yourself as a winner, will take you farther than any other I know of. Hope that helps. GL

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Attitude, mental outlook as important as skills

Skills are needed for poker. To succeed, you also need to be fresh mentally and physically.
A positive, open, mindset is needed to keep you in the game, ready to respond. It is just as important to be in as close to ;peak physical condition.
Part of the physical prep is getting enough sleep, as well as not too much drinking.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having the right mindset is a skill and is needed. So is skill at the game itself.

J

jesusali1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really liked this thread, if whenever I play at a family reunion I get to lose and get upset more than I already am before, for that reason I think it is very relevant the state of a person, getting to control those emotions will make you think that not everything is bad that if not arriving in good times you could have good low rank cards.

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I think that mostly skills play a big role at the poker table, but a lot also depends on your mood! If you are in a bad mood, then it is better not to sit down to play, because with a bad mood you will not think about the game, but about problems that bother you and you will not be able to concentrate on handouts, which will have a very bad effect on your game. In a bad mood, you are more inclined to tilt, and as we all know tilt in this game is completely unnecessary! I hope I was able to help you at least, and I wish everyone not to experience tilt under any circumstances! Good luck at the poker tables!

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Poker is not a linear, but a dynamic game. To be able to win in poker means to avoid mistakes as much as you can and be able to dodge bad luck when it strikes. Thus mindset is as important as skill. Many professionals consider physical wellness equally important and work out regularly.
There is not a single point in poker you can focus on and disregard the others(except maybe blind luck-but that's unpredictable...). Everything counts.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think one thing does not interfere with the other.The picture of the player must be complete with bright colors-otherwise we have nothing to do in the game.Thought breeds victory!

M

MimiMLZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good mindset

Like everything in life, I believe that having very a good mindset is what makes you sucessful.

Bennoda

Bennoda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the mood is very important in poker because of this how you think how you play if you are in a bad mood you tilt make the wrong decisions poker sometimes doesn’t forgive

T

tamara822

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way of thinking is crucial in all spheres of life, including poker. If your mindset is positive everything is easier. With knowledge, skills and a good mindset, everything is achievable.