georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Hello - i want to ask everyone of you something....

...We hear the term ''marginal hands" a lot when discussing poker. Which hands do you think fall into that category?

:)

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The middle strength hands like KT, QT, QJ, K9, JT, some connectors and suited connectors and low pairs

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say QJ suited is marginal, 9 10 suited... pretty much just mid range hands that have flop equity is what i would say. For example a lot of players open range is marginal, that's why we 3 bet and 4 bet to make them get rid of the hand before they gain any equity. I;m sure we all have different ideas of what a marginal hand is but that's my take.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anything from about QJ to about 44 preflop, but I actually use the term marginal to also mean post-flop holdings of things like mid-pair, draws, etc.

THEBLUEJAYY

THEBLUEJAYY

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello - i want to ask everyone of you something....

...We hear the term ''marginal hands" a lot when discussing poker. Which hands do you think fall into that category?

:)
lol happens that my favorite hands are marginal 6 9 5 7 j 10 even 2 7 is playable for less than 300 chips i usually hit two pair or 222

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the board and when the announcer is saying it usually AK can be a marginal hand at the river right?

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll add position to the mix. Hands like KQo or A5s are perfectly reasonable to open the betting with on the button, but could easily be considered marginal if you're opening with it from UTG.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Isn't there a CC member/guru with the id Marginal?
So: marginal hands are the hands played by Marginal:p

The middle strength hands like KT, QT, QJ, K9, JT, some connectors and suited connectors and low pairs

I would say QJ suited is marginal, 9 10 suited... pretty much just mid range hands that have flop equity is what i would say. For example a lot of players open range is marginal, that's why we 3 bet and 4 bet to make them get rid of the hand before they gain any equity. I;m sure we all have different ideas of what a marginal hand is but that's my take.

bottom of your range in different situations

Anything from about QJ to about 44 preflop, but I actually use the term marginal to also mean post-flop holdings of things like mid-pair, draws, etc.

lol happens that my favorite hands are marginal 6 9 5 7 j 10 even 2 7 is playable for less than 300 chips i usually hit two pair or 222

It depends on the board and when the announcer is saying it usually AK can be a marginal hand at the river right?

I'll add position to the mix. Hands like KQo or A5s are perfectly reasonable to open the betting with on the button, but could easily be considered marginal if you're opening with it from UTG.

Great answers.

I think, "all hands pre-flop are marginal".

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play the midrange suited connectors when two or more players have shoved before me. They are often doing that with AK, AQ, and AJ which means that marginal hand's odds of coming home are at its highest.

00ff25fa4d928d0196ba968d11082bfc.png

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands