Learning poker

T

Tiltmode1987

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you think you can learn everything there is to know about one particular game of poker such as Texas holdem? I think that no matter how long you've played the. game and how much you have learned, i believe there is always more to learn about the game. Texas holdem is always evolving. What do you think?

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just in general, we should never stop learning, improving, and trying to grow for our entire lives.

Specific to poker... no human being will ever "know it all". Poker is a game of adjustment to table conditions, so it is essentially "built into the game"... some call this concept the "metagame", and it is what makes poker so fascinating.

The metagame occurs when player begin to adopt a particular "hot" or "popular" strategy... this then creates opportunity for other intelligent players to devise a "counter-strategy" to take advantage of the popular strategy... eventually, players catch on and begin to adapt their popular strategy to reflect the adjustment... but then this allows other intelligent players to once again "get ahead of the curve" and adjust to the adjustment... and this process NEVER ends, it will continue until the end of time, because poker will never be a "solved" game, it is a game of incomplete information and there are just too many opportunities for +EV adjustments to be made.

I know many think "Game Theory Optimal" strategy is the end of this process, and perhaps it would be if players played perfectly... a very very small percentage of player MIGHT approach perfect GTO strategy, but the vast majority of poker players will never come close to GTO, because humans are not perfect robots, we are imperfect (and its not even close). The opposite of "GTO play" is "Exploitative play", and explotative will always be more profitable than GTO at any level of the game outside of the top 1% played at the highest stakes. Most of us won't ever get to that level, and that is why there will be proper adjustments to take advantage of the metagame until the end of time for almost all players.

My take on it, my opinions obv.

M

Mariadelaluz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We need to keep learning it.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree. Learning is an endless activity whatever the field of knowledge. When a person thinks they know everything and no longer need to learn anything in life, that person is doomed to failure. Poker is no different. There will always be more knowledge to be gained, even if you are a very experienced player.

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes

Do you think you can learn everything there is to know about one particular game of poker such as Texas holdem? I think that no matter how long you've played the. game and how much you have learned, i believe there is always more to learn about the game. Texas holdem is always evolving. What do you think?
in my opinion time passes and evolution comes with time the more you practice the more you have a chance of being a great player

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
You never stop learning, although it depends on the talent and ability of each person, but if you study and dedicate discipline to your game, you will improve without a doubt ... In my case, studying and improving my level. :D

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The game and the players are constantly evolving, the best way to adapt is constant study, watching the transmissions of winning players is pure gold, there you can learn too much:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that it is impossible to learn everything about poker, you can only constantly add and add knowledge! Even the most successful and the most expensive stakes players are constantly learning and learning new information about poker! As the saying goes “live and learn” these are very correct and wise words! Good luck to everyone at the tables and big wins!

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I agree with you, learning hold'em poker is very broad, there are a lot of situations to learn and to manage depending on the status of the opponents, the stacks...

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is no invincible strategy in poker, that's what makes it great, you can adapt to any style, you can study specific strategies and calculate the odds, but this does not mean that you know everything about poker.

KKillerss

KKillerss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just in general, we should never stop learning, improving, and trying to grow for our entire lives.

Specific to poker... no human being will ever "know it all". Poker is a game of adjustment to table conditions, so it is essentially "built into the game"... some call this concept the "metagame", and it is what makes poker so fascinating.

The metagame occurs when player begin to adopt a particular "hot" or "popular" strategy... this then creates opportunity for other intelligent players to devise a "counter-strategy" to take advantage of the popular strategy... eventually, players catch on and begin to adapt their popular strategy to reflect the adjustment... but then this allows other intelligent players to once again "get ahead of the curve" and adjust to the adjustment... and this process NEVER ends, it will continue until the end of time, because poker will never be a "solved" game, it is a game of incomplete information and there are just too many opportunities for +EV adjustments to be made.

I know many think "Game Theory Optimal" strategy is the end of this process, and perhaps it would be if players played perfectly... a very very small percentage of player MIGHT approach perfect GTO strategy, but the vast majority of poker players will never come close to GTO, because humans are not perfect robots, we are imperfect (and its not even close). The opposite of "GTO play" is "Exploitative play", and explotative will always be more profitable than GTO at any level of the game outside of the top 1% played at the highest stakes. Most of us won't ever get to that level, and that is why there will be proper adjustments to take advantage of the metagame until the end of time for almost all players.

My take on it, my opinions obv.

Absolute right. So, depending on the speed of evolution of the game, no one will be able to stay on top without studying and adapting.
Though to Exploit better one needs to understand GTO, but whoever has the better reading of others will always have an edge

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if someone somehow learned "all there is to know" for poker, then even that isn't exactly enough because the game is always changing and because you can never really seem to learn how the opponents are playing it.

I feel like poker is fairly simple to "learn" with practice, but extremely difficult to "master" if this makes sense :D

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can study in different ways. But no book can replace real practice. The theory in its pure form does not fit well with practice.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker is a game that is not finished learning, every time we play we make mistakes and we learn to correct them and improve, I think that playing a lot you learn much more, also if we want to be someday professionals in this beautiful sport we will have to study the game a lot and shape solid and winning strategies.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that it is impossible to know everything and any business does not stand still and develops further.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The world of poker is constantly evolving. You must make progress to keep up with it. That's it.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's possible to learn poker. Since new information constantly appears. How to play in a specific situation.

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Since there are countless situations in poker, I think learning basic poker skills is not enough, we need to be flexible, adaptive, and be creative in the plays.

vonabruch

vonabruch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in order to go through all the poker, you need to add luck to your studies) but you will always have to learn and develop and will never stop)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Well, to be specific is it is the people that change along with their playing styles. As none of us come from the exact same mould, none of our games are identical.

Therefore over the years you will face one different poker player after another who have all progressed and studied in a unique manner. So, there never will be a point where you have learnt to cope with one and all. Which is what makes poker endlessly fascinating.

duri32

duri32

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to learn all the time, otherwise the others will overtake you very quickly.

M

Memphis legend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
master position, and master reading your opponents, and you've got it down pat. Course I've never seen Pat. Don't even know if its a man or woman