Learning GTO poker : where do I begin?

F

Fida

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really want to learn GTO poker to up my game. That said, I feel like there's so much to learn.

A member here said to me trying to learn too much at one time will do more harm than good. And that's exactly how I feel every time I read some guides about GTO poker.

So where do I begin?

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you are starting to learn the basics of poker. There is no point in mastering GTO without the right level of knowledge. I say this because you will not be able to apply GTO properly.

M

MrUnlikely

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen many GTO poker Apps/trainers. I am just getting started too, but I like the fact I don't need to enter ranges etc and just need to play hands with feedback. I only did it for 5 minutes but am thinking of continuing because I felt I was learning something. I want to find which one is best but have no idea. I think the important things are appearance and UI, and what data is preloaded. I think it should be similar to the game you want to play.

Obviously, you need to understand the situation so you can generalize the hand. For example, you 3-bet pre and get called by MP. Flop comes QQ7. How do you play it? I don't know, but I think you could generalize that situation to apply it to similar situations.

I don't know about setting ranges etc but that is probably important but I think you can get the basics first before thinking about how ranges, stack size etc effect play. maybe?

I think making flashcards would be a good way to study.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Unless you're playing higher stakes &/or where players are playing GTO... it's not optimal.

M

mikeajax15

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start from the bottom

- learning ranges from differrent positions. (RFI , 3betting , flatting etc.)

- observe other player at the table and get a feeling of their ranges. And how your range is interacting vs this range.

Betting, checking, x raising.
Betsizing and the why behind it.

Small steps and patience.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What is your current level of ability and current stakes that you are playing?

GTO is a total misnomer in my opinion. It suggests that applying Game Theory is the Optimal method of playing, but in reality it couldn't be further from the truth. If you are playing against the perfect GTO player and you play perfect GTO, then both players would break even (variance aside), but no one can actually play GTO perfectly because we are humans, not super computers.

At micro and low stakes GTO offers the least value because no one can play anything close to GTO. Instead, you should be focusing on developing a sound fundamental strategy and learn to exploit player pool tendencies and specific play leaks that you may have picked up on.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really want to learn GTO poker to up my game. That said, I feel like there's so much to learn.

A member here said to me trying to learn too much at one time will do more harm than good. And that's exactly how I feel every time I read some guides about GTO poker.

So where do I begin?

Thank you for posting.

The first place to start is GTO preflop charts. By learning what to open or 3 bet or 4 bet pre is the very first step. Then post flop we are refining our range on each street based on those charts.

When you are studying GTO charts you want to study both spots not just your spot.

So if we are raising on the BTN and get called by the SB we need to know what GTO range is calling there. Effective stack size is the GTO chart we look at.

Effective stack = SB50bb---BB 25bb--- SB uses the 25bb GTO chart to decide preflop actions.

DM me if you want to know where to get the best free GTO chart App.

Hope this helps
:):)

M

MrUnlikely

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your current level of ability and current stakes that you are playing?

GTO is a total misnomer in my opinion. It suggests that applying Game Theory is the Optimal method of playing, but in reality it couldn't be further from the truth. If you are playing against the perfect GTO player and you play perfect GTO, then both players would break even (variance aside), but no one can actually play GTO perfectly because we are humans, not super computers.

At micro and low stakes GTO offers the least value because no one can play anything close to GTO. Instead, you should be focusing on developing a sound fundamental strategy and learn to exploit player pool tendencies and specific play leaks that you may have picked up on.

So, I have played probably a 1000 GTO hands on GTO trainer apps over the last 2 days and that was my introduction to GTO.

Two things I have noticed is that the apps don't explain why they recommend certain actions. They recommend a small or large bet, but not a medium bet. Why? I can only guess and if my guess is wrong then it is probably harmful. I guess that small bets almost ensure value but value is small, also small bets induce raises and make betting the next street easier. Large bets increase fold equity, increase pot size to get more value, and is probably good when you want to inflate pot size or get a fold, like when you have the nut flush draw.

Second thing I have noticed is that GTO seems to be almost no pressure strategy. Aggression or pressure seems to be one of the key characteristics of winning play. You induce folds, preventing V from realizing equity. You make stronger hands fold, you make people scared to bet in case they get raised, allowing you to realise more equity. You build bigger pots which allows you to get max value when you have premium hands, you play bigger pots which makes most players uncomfortable and they overfold- players generally don't want to get it all in with one pair.

GTO so far seems to be take almost no risks, although I do note there was commonly a 20% all in option when SPR was 1.5:1 or less and I had nothing. I am not sure if that would work at low stakes....they will call with weak flushes any straight, sets, good 2 pair. Higher stakes I think they could fold more. I was surprised that it didn't like me betting a straight when board paired or flush was possible.

I also found that it seems some apps actually use data from real player pools, any trainer that uses data from real player pools would be a highly effective trainer and I think if I had the ability to try different styles against such a program it would be very effective. It would be great to know if 4-betting in 5% is profitable, and I want to know if going all in pre with AK is profitable in ZOOM. I think maybe not.

I wanted it to tell me how to play TT on QQ6 board. It kind of tells me, but the answer is check fold? or check call fold. MAybe that is the right answer. Maybe I have not learned what it was actually telling me. I tended to notice the main recommended action, and sometimes not notice that 15% of the time it should be a raise.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All preflop stuff 30-15bbs.