Learning curve of a donk

C

calicronic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
They seem to not have one. Whenever an all in call is made pre-flop it seems to me that that is the first notice of donkism. I know that's how I played when I started with free rolls. Took a bit of understanding to figure out that is not poker.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi and welcome, different people's learning curves aren't related to whether or not they are a donk, I don't think even 'donks' can be painted with a broad brush..

So different 'donks' will learn in different ways and at different rates I'd guess... :) :wink:

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just because a person plays poker, doesn't mean they care to get good at it. Some just play for the thrill of playing. After all, freerolls cost nothing.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi and welcome to Cardschat. It continue to amaze me, that so many people expect everyone to play well in a freeroll. Its free, so of course a lot of people dont even care, if they bust. "Go strong or go home" can even be a viable strategy in freerolls, because then you only spend time of those, where you have a decent chance of cashing.

If you think a little deeper about it, what is actually worst? To call an all in after 5 minutes with AJ knowing, you are probably going to be behind but with equity? Or play for an hour only to bust near the bubble? The first player only spend 5 minutes to win nothing (assuming he lost the hand), while the second player spend an hour to also win nothing. So who is even the real donk? :)

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also thought that calling is normal,but time has changed these thoughts...

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi and welcome to Cardschat. It continue to amaze me, that so many people expect everyone to play well in a freeroll. Its free, so of course a lot of people dont even care, if they bust. "Go strong or go home" can even be a viable strategy in freerolls, because then you only spend time of those, where you have a decent chance of cashing.

If you think a little deeper about it, what is actually worst? To call an all in after 5 minutes with AJ knowing, you are probably going to be behind but with equity? Or play for an hour only to bust near the bubble? The first player only spend 5 minutes to win nothing (assuming he lost the hand), while the second player spend an hour to also win nothing. So who is even the real donk? :)
As usual, couldn't agree more!

In fact, I made this exact play five minutes into yesterday's daily on Stars holding A7o on a K9A (double diamond) flop...

I was pretty sure after my pot-sized lead was check-raised that in all likelihood my solitary opponent was ahead and I might likely be drawing rather thin (suspected probably a set a bigger ace or air + flush draw) but at the same time- I was eating dinner, had lots of other things to be getting on with and was only dead to AA (which was high unlikely on this occasion).

As it turned out, K9o was tabled and no help was forthcoming on the turn/river.

I was glad to be out having invested a mere five minutes or so for a return of $0 dollars, having been able to say hello to friends like alienat3d and gaining a good amount of information for five minutes... :wink:

I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep i came to the realisation long ago that I just do not learn and will forever be the 'donk' at the table [emoji2]

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Reminds me of : "Mitt Romney spent $800m on not becoming president of the USA. I spent 65p and got the same result, except I have a Mars Bar. Winner"

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They seem to not have one. Whenever an all in call is made pre-flop it seems to me that that is the first notice of donkism. I know that's how I played when I started with free rolls. Took a bit of understanding to figure out that is not poker.
With 200BB on wednesday freeroll on GG I called an all-in with KK and run into AA. It hurt a bit yes. :)

EmiTou

EmiTou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a shame it gives me, I am anxiously waiting to be able to compete in the newspaper and there are people who only enter to go there in 5 minutes and they do not care to win or lose, play well or badly. But hey, not all people take it in the same way to the game.