Is it worth buying a poker book to study?

teteuc2

teteuc2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you think it really pays to buy poker books to study or only online video content is enough?

FernA9ndo

FernA9ndo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is totally personal, whether you like to read books or watch replays. Books about fundamentals are in the vast majority of times the best.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't compare because I haven't read any poker books.And video periodically review...

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you think it really pays to buy poker books to study or only online video content is enough?

You can find more free stuff on the internet that books are really just for enjoyment if you really want to have it to read.

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is good to read and learn from books, but unless you can really afford it i think it is better to learn from experience, and instead of buying poker books go to the internet and join forums like CC and pokerschool online in pokerstars... :) :)

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Knowledge is power. you need to improve your game any way you possibly can. Books and videos but dont limit yourself to just poker learning. Watch some good videos on reading people. Watch others play and figure out why the did what they did. Talk to other players learn from them. Listen to other players. There is a world of knowledge out there and like I said knowledge is power.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Nice question , information is all over on the internet and online coaching content is constantly updated plus we have Twitch.

As above posters already mentioned it is up to you. I like books and I like underline key phrases , fold the pages and all that but I don't think that if you never read a book you will lack valuable info.

If you are a book lover then yeah go for it :) You will have it forever in your library :)

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If possible, it will not be superfluous.
Unfortunately, I do not have such an opportunity, so I study everything that is just on the Internet.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The biggest advantage of online poker is the opportunity to play a lot of hands (experience). As far as studying, as said above, whatever format you get the most out of should be your choice.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi
Usually I only read books online. The books I would like to buy are quite expensive. During this year I read two books: Andrew Seidman "The Easy Game", Ed Miller "Texas Holdem for beginners".

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it really depends on what type of learner you are.

The way I like to use a book is to read on a specific strategy or topic and then try to apply it to my game, then go back and re-read to ensure I am applying it correctly. I never recommend reading a poker book cover to cover and expect to be able to apply all the concepts. Break it into small pieces.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

'It Depends'
Do you want to get better at the game... or do you want to keep doing stuff like calling out of position with hands that have huge reverse-implied odds? ;)

Of course poker books are worth it! Have you read any so far?

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone learns differently so I first ask, can you read a book and retain anything from it? I know that sounds a bit demeaning, but some people can't.

Personally I find a lot of value in a book, I can read and stop to think about what I read at my own pace. I can put something I learned into action and easily refer to it as I am playing. I can also easily go back and reread. Also lots of books contain charts and diagrams that are useful as you play as well.

Another book I like is Harrington On Hold-em Vol 3. It is a workbook that has you play through hands. When I find that I have gone off the rails and am play too loosely, its a good book to think through scenarios and get my head back on the right track.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

I had a teacher who always said:
The one who knows...do it
The one who don´t.....teaches
Thats a lesson!!!!
Rgds

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nowadays with internet and youtube most things can be for free. I suggest playing for free then low stakes and some days try to learn online and it will all click sooner or later. but everyone has their own style so try to build your own and see how most people play to try to beat that kind of play.

AdonisPimenta

AdonisPimenta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nowadays you have so many options online that make the idea of buy a poker book a waste of money. Cardschat has a ebook and a course to help you start on poker life.'

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as people above me say its to each their own.

there are videos online aswell and probably forums with the most important stuff from a book aswell.

few googles and you should have something close to a book

F

fersical

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you think it is really worth buying poker books to study or just online video content is enough?

Everything works in my opinion !!! Already something extremely important as you acquire experience deberias utilizar un software de apoyo para poder mejorar el juego!!

Hay mucho software y una amplia gama de precios.

C

chuckycheese

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think so. I think practice, practice, and more practice. patience and more patience. it is a game of more luck than skill. except for high limit poker. there money talks and bs walks

Bobbybones1950

Bobbybones1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely Youtube. Search Jonathan Little, Nick Wealthall and Gripsed
:icon_stud

Also the Free Poker Course offered here in Cardschat

K

Kenorgcom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can if you want, but practice playing works for me.

Maekz1999

Maekz1999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think so. You can find everything online for free. Also I like videos over books because it is faster and better to understand. Don't waste your money on books I guess :)

F

flyinghas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have a lot of free content online. but it depends on you.

teteuc2

teteuc2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
'It Depends'
Do you want to get better at the game... or do you want to keep doing stuff like calling out of position with hands that have huge reverse-implied odds? ;)

Of course poker books are worth it! Have you read any so far?

Hello friend, I didn't even remember this topic, but thanks for the answer!

But are you upset by today's tournament?

If I'm playing wrong, this is good for you as a connoisseur of the game to profit in the long run :p