I know y’all are tired

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of hearing me complain, but I haven’t found ONE THING that has helped my poker game. I have read several books, taken several courses and tried numerous Apps and I feel like I have no idea what they’re talking about and if I did wouldn’t be able to put it to practical use.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The information is in your head.You might think you "didn't" learn anything but you prob did,,, learn to trust that "little man" on your shoulder,,, ;)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
of hearing me complain, but I haven’t found ONE THING that has helped my poker game. I have read several books, taken several courses and tried numerous apps and I feel like I have no idea what they’re talking about and if I did wouldn’t be able to put it to practical use.

The problem is possible how you are trying to learn the game. You can read a book every day for a month and learn something but poker is a game that needs to be learned smartly. You need to treat the learning process like a collage course. Take any good book and you should probably take months to complete it. Go through several pages and write note and then apply what your learning. Dont just try it a few times but really look into it. If your watching training videos the same thing. Dont mindlessly just watch. A hour vidoe could take a week to truly decipher in the mind and into a game. Yes its easy and there but again taking notes for everything and then one at a time trying out and adding to your game it it works will be much better for you. Document your results and learn from them, Poker is a simple game but also a very complex one.

Also remember as your learning, if you try it one or even 10 time and if fails does not meant it does not work. Review the play and see or try to see if you did it wrong. Take a bluffing lesson. If fails 10 times in a row, but you were doing it against a bad player who calls to much. It wasent the play that's bad but you picked the wrong player to bluff.

Mike Sexton put it perfectly. It take a minute to learn and a lifetime to master.

VikyGia

VikyGia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HI

You should watch videos of good players to know a bit how they think and how they play, however within a table only you make the decisions.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
reading is not always reading. some people read something once and get it right away, and other people like me have to read the same thing several times to get it. Take your time and learn what you can learn. and don't be sad if it doesn't work out as you Wanted to. Even the pro loses sometimes. Don't let yourself get put down if you lose one time because everyone wins or loses time, but if you learn the game properly you will end up making more profits

G

green_ruckus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of hearing me complain, but I haven’t found ONE THING that has helped my poker game. I have read several books, taken several courses and tried numerous apps and I feel like I have no idea what they’re talking about and if I did wouldn’t be able to put it to practical use.

I'm far from pro, but I feel like I've learned most by playing real games and doing "game-analysis" meaning that someone "coaches" you during a game (this is obviously only possible online). Otherwise going with your gut to begin with is a good start, to get a feeling for the game and helps you read your opponents better.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All you can do is keep learning and absorbing the information you can. Be a good student of the game and take notes, study your hands, analyze common spots or whatever works for you.

Some material just won't fit your playstyle or your learning style, but every now and then one or two pieces of information will resonate with you. We keep learning to find that one or two golden pieces of information.

Another thought is that even if you don't use something, others might...and this is a powerful thing. Simply knowing a strategy or playstyle exists might mean you can correctly label an opponent when they use it and by default, you'll know how to play against it (since you learn/study). :cool:

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience

Patience and time their are no natural born players this is a myth. Most players that win ocassionally having been playing a very long time or alot early on. Practice my friend and your day will come. Capo1014

L

LosJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, It helped to watch professional players playing. Because they show you, how to use all the things, you study with books in the game. And you might apply that for your poker game aswell.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not "tired", but you are not being particularly specific, which does not help anyone identify, what the problem might be. Like what games are you playing, how much have you played, and what are your results? Its all very fluid, and its much easier to help, if you post some hand histories in the hand review forum.

If you post say 10 hands, where you are unsure, if you played them well, then a picture will probably emerge, what you are potentially doing wrong. Or if maybe you are simply confusing bad luck with bad play. Poker is a game, where we can play perfect but still lose for long periods of time, which is usually referred to as variance.

Or maybe its mostly a psycologic problem. A headline like this indicate, you have low self esteem. Which is the exact opposite problem of many other poker players, where oversized egos are their biggest enemies. If that is the case, then just try telling yourself, that you are just as good as anyone else at the table. If you stick to microstakes games, all your opponents are not going to be poker geniuses. So no need to feel, they are way ahead of you, when most likely they are probably not.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Certainly, books etc. are not very useful.
Enter the whirlpool of more information.
If you do it all day, you will find one useful thing.
That's about it.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Reading a poker book is not like reading a fictional novel. You need to dig in and question what the author is saying. Find out why you are not grasping the concepts.

Are you trying to read a book cover to cover? Don't. Stick to one idea, reread if necessary, play some poker and look for opportunities to use the concept. Is the chapter about pot odds? Then play a few days and do nothing different than try to calculate pot odds. Is it about preflop selection and position? Focus the hands you choose to play and the positions you play them. go back and reread.