I do much better in $5-$10 SNGs & MTTs than in Freerolls

B

bdc100

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SNG 6 or 9 seat: I'm in the money ~35%-40% of the time (I follow ICM strictly).

MTT ~500 players: I'm in the money ~30% of the time and have placed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd several times.

freerolls ~500 players (excluding CardsChat): I'm in-the-money < 10% of the time!

Freeroll players play 50%-70% of their hands and will shove preflop with anything, or shove flop with bottom-pair (or just call to the river and hit their unlikely runner-runner, gutshot, or set/trips). The luck factor is huge so there are few 'repeat' freeroll winners.

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm guessing your sample size isn't that big.

Play 50+ freerolls and 50+ MTT's. In the MTT's, play your best game. In the freerolls, play with a value bet mindset and don't be afraid to stack off with AJs preflop in the early stages. If you get sucked out by 92o then so be it. Just rejoin another freeroll later that day. As your sample size increases, the effects of variance will become less significant and you should find yourself in the top 10% of freeroll players more than 20% of the time.

Trust me, freerolls are far easier than $5 MTT's. You just seem to remember the suckouts far more often than the amount of times your AA does hold up against J4s.

A

Akwind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm guessing your sample size isn't that big.

Play 50+ freerolls and 50+ MTT's. In the MTT's, play your best game. In the freerolls, play with a value bet mindset and don't be afraid to stack off with AJs preflop in the early stages. If you get sucked out by 92o then so be it. Just rejoin another freeroll later that day. As your sample size increases, the effects of variance will become less significant and you should find yourself in the top 10% of freeroll players more than 20% of the time.
I agree with Matthew, that in freerols player skill is much lower... but variance is much higher... i think that what topic starter was talking about...
you get into many suckout badbeat situations with stupid freeroll autocallers...
i had JJ at SB early stage freeroll... utg limps, and collects 5 limpers behind... i made a huge raise about 12bb and had 2 calls... i pushed allin at 735 rainbow flop and had i call from 46o hand... this is the idea of freeroll. and of course freerols have their adjustments to be made as Matthew noticed. i agree totally

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That's why I don't really play freerolls anymore. One day I was actually about forty-five minutes into one when I won a huge multiway pot. I had already been in 2nd place before winning that pot. I should have been excited at nearly tripling my stack, but instead I became irritated when I saw the hands that my opponents turned over. It suddenly occurred to me that I had more than $1000 in my account and that I didn't need the aggravation of playing donkey-rolls. Even though I had an overwhelming chip lead, I wished the rest of the table good luck and left the game. Since then the only freerolls I have played are special freerolls or CardsChat games.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too much donks in the freeroll make it all about luck and sometime not worth the time playing and sometimes this donkey survive even to late phase,but it usually happen to freeroll with very large field.

L

LizardDan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion freerolls are best used as a supplemental when you're already playing another tourney. They aren't the greatest measure of skill, the play is far too random. But free is free!

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to play freerolls with less people. But in freerolls people dnt play smart they play every hand and beat you with hands like 72 or smtihng like that and in frerolls you have to have much luck thats why freerolls are hard to play especcially in early stages.

bprpm

bprpm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sits and tournaments of 5$ 10$ have better quality of players, it seems you're a good player and u can win, in freerolls a lot of bad players plays garbage hands, it's normal loose ces for 98 ou 97 something like this...
The quality of players increses in the bgiger buy in...

lois505

lois505

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too much donks in the freeroll , yes , that is right,they just all in and all in,That's why I don't play other freerolls , just play cardschat freeroll tounament then ok, anyway good luck mate

B

bdc100

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you Matthew ..human nature tends to remember 'bad' events and forget 'good' events (this reminds me of my medical depression ..the same thing).

Zupek

Zupek

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my humble opinion freerolls with too many ppl doesnt look like really poker should. Its more than bingo But its a good way to build ur bankroll from 0 ;)

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm like IntenseHeat, I hardly ever play freerolls anymore, unless it a forum freeroll. I do play the $500 freeroll at FF on Friday nights. It's worth the time and all the other crap that comes along with them. But back to the point, freerolls are very hard to play because of all the bingo players. But if you are cashing in the buy in MTTs 30% of the time, why even waste your time with freerolls? And looks like your SNGs are even better than that. Anyway GL to you.

Freeroll Passwords