How to play "Pair of Ducks" (22)

R

robcubus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my several years as a poker player, I have realized that I still do not how to play the hand pair of 2, or as many call it "the pair of ducks" :2s4::2h4:.
Any advice you can give me, or let me talk as you play this hand. I would thank you a lot.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Set mine mostly. Can call a bet or two sometimes on a good board like a paired board or a board with a straight draw.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The game with a pair of ducks does not differ much from the game with any other small pair of cards. Your task is to look cheap on the flop, and try to catch the set.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Usually I limp with them at late positions, when it is still cheap. In earlier positions I often fold them.

jimmy andres

jimmy andres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello I just try to equalize as little as possible as this is not a very strong hand and can easily be overcome if the trio does not hit so if for the turn I did not hit the trio I retired and I would retire sooner if they made one He ****s very hard before the turn.

Sergio_uy

Sergio_uy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check or fold pre flop.

After the flop if the 2 fold does not come out, unless anyone bets there I prefer a check

onondaga

onondaga

Ukraine
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my several years as a poker player, I have realized that I still do not how to play the hand pair of 2, or as many call it "the pair of ducks" :2s4::2h4:.
Any advice you can give me, or let me talk as you play this hand. I would thank you a lot.

Must be played very careful, think if dont get stronger after flop it not worth to bluf with this hand ,especially in multipot. ofcourse u dont need to fold if bet size from opp is too small. :D but if you are to cool (hiper-Shark) and dont want to lose you can go allin and get set on turn or river

HennieP

HennieP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you're in late position (cutoff or button) you may try to see a cheap flop with deuces. In any other position fold. If you do see a flop and miss then check fold. If you make a set on the flop then your best payoff will come from someone who makes top pair or two pair.

Even if you make a set though keep in mind that someone else might easily have made a bigger set. If the betting gets out of control be careful. Also keep in mind that a flop like AT2 could easily turn your hand to dust if the turn card is another A or T and someone is holding AT for example.

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I even had 4 cards, I was afraid of 4 cards higher for a couple: (- 2.2.10.10.10.) This is garbage.

T

Thenightrain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
totally agree with you

good luck at tables!!!

Agreed, get in for cheap, try and hit a set or walk away. Unless you're running low or heads up when it becomes a shove / more powerful hand.

Mini1380

Mini1380

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually fold them as they end up getting me in trouble.

B

Bagdalac4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just call to see the flop. I had several situations with 22 that it gives me four of a kind, or full. But if someone go all or big raise, just fold. Not worth to risk.

Mini1380

Mini1380

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would u rather a♥k♣ or 2♣2♦?

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if it is still cheap, i would want to see the flop and hope for the third duck. if i dont get it id fold on the turn.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Risk at a small bet you do not lose much, and wait for the duck if the players do not raise it and may fall on the flop or turn, but there are players who give everything on pair 22 and they pass

E

effece

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
22 are my favorite, the way to play them depends on the game, whether it is cash or mtt, as always depends on the position, and any that enter the hand, if we are only 2 or more of 3. in this case, when several Enter the hand, I prefer the raise, in the other an all in.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The game with a pocket pair 22 is reduced to a simple strategy - fit or fold. If got a set - play further, if not - fold. Play a pocket pair 22 without improving on the flop - is very expensive. Pocket pair 22, I try to play only in the last three positions.

Last edited:
David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Risky set of cards, my advice fold fold, fold

Dibsmaker

Dibsmaker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play 22 only if someone don't reise. If after flop is bad i don't blef...

sergik1992

sergik1992

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often play such pocket pairs with limp to watch set on flop.