How to play J-J

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way to play J-J is almost the same like A-K, you have to play it very aggressively before the flop, because it's a very good starting hand, but after the flop in most cases this hand become very weak, for exemple if an A ok K or Q comes in the flop.
So, be very agressive before the flop, and very carefall after the flop. This is the key of playing this hand.
Many players forget that everything change when the flop apear! Even if you have A-A, you need to be carefal if a dangerous flop comes like T,J,Q or any ather three cards with same color...
So, depending of the flop you need to bet or check-call, but not check-raise exept if you make a very strong hand in the flop.

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In EP I use it almost to set mine because I am thinking that any callers likely have overcards. The good thing is that if you bet pre-flop then you may be able to take the pot down with a c-bet. I often trap the set of jacks, somehow a jack never makes people nervous like an A or K.

In late position with no open raise my hand is stronger as less likely premium hands behind. I will be more agressive in these spots.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The way to play J-J is almost the same like A-K, you have to play it very aggressively before the flop, because it's a very good starting hand, but after the flop in most cases this hand become very weak, for exemple if an A ok K or Q comes in the flop.
So, be very agressive before the flop, and very carefall after the flop. This is the key of playing this hand.
Many players forget that everything change when the flop apear! Even if you have A-A, you need to be carefal if a dangerous flop comes like T,J,Q or any ather three cards with same color...
So, depending of the flop you need to bet or check-call, but not check-raise exept if you make a very strong hand in the flop.

Many factors influence how to play this hand. :deal: I think you should play more aggressively (raise-raise) and be careful after the flop. Raising allows you to fold any weak hands and increases your chance. But the situation may be different, and say, for example, if the flop comes 2 or 9 or T instead of A or K or Q and your opponent has a pair T. What will you do?:joyman::smile:

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am very careful with such pairs until I can more fully assess the situation with ranges, opponents' bets, position[emoji32][emoji32][emoji32]

Igorek1313

Igorek1313

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
50 to 50 more there is nothing to add !!!:jd4::cool:

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes I decide not to play this hand aggressively preflop especially when opponents who play tighten raise before me or when I do not want to take risk risk with my stack..JJ has already made me lose a lot of chips then I always try to choose the right spot and be more careful with this hand.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its already been said - but for the sake of the discussion - for me, it is indeed player dependent. If I were facing an open from a pretty nitty player ONLY opening premiums - then I tend to play Jacks passively as I would 88, 99, etc. Against players I dont have much info on or LAG players I am almost always aggressive pre - and then navigate post flop. Its easy to over commit with Jacks - but a little tougher to fold them when the time comes :)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This reminds me of the joke:

"There are three ways to play pocket jacks, and they're all wrong." :D

aGreen

aGreen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed with author, playing with JJ like with AK, but JJ mutch better at the low flop

vuk011

vuk011

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play JJ in the same way as 77-TT lol it's only one pair though, it's not good to overestimate it.

kbuinowski

kbuinowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with Jacks depends where i will be seating at if i'm the big blind if no one raises i would just check. to see what comes out on the flop if nothing higher than a jack i would bet the heck out of it. but most of the time if some one has an ace they are not going any where for the most part.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think JJ is good but not amazing hand. I like to open for a raise, raise limpers, or call a raise with it. I will also call a 3bet, but not cold call a 3bet with it since most players will have QQ+AK and even loose players will rarely have worse than me. I never 4bet or call a 4bet with JJ for the same reason. On the flop if I was the aggressor I c-bet 100% if checked to. If I called, I like to just play it very straight foreword.

nikolaevich87

nikolaevich87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes I decide not to play this hand aggressively preflop especially when opponents who play tighten raise before me or when I do not want to take risk risk with my stack..JJ has already made me lose a lot of chips then I always try to choose the right spot and be more careful with this hand.

I agree, aggression with Jacks is not as inappropriate, as with Lady DD, a very dangerous game happens, I lost a lot of oaz, these hands are against ak or kk, it doesn’t matter, the main thing is to slowly play the takub hand, so I decided after the bumps !! !

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Set mine

I play jacks with a standard raise and hope to flop a set or at least get a low flop. If I do flop the set then I will trap. If I don't flop a set but get the low flop I will bet big. If the flop comes out with big cards then I will play it small or fold. I don't call all-ins with jacks, but if short stacked I will go all-in and call all-ins.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Obviously, it depends on your position, but in any case, with such a hand, I prefer an aggressive game.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think there is 1 recipe per whole card combination that is "the right play"...

You make yourself readable and will be exploited by good players, because you will only win small pots and lose big ones...

Depending on position, opponents and stack sizes I would mix just about any possible play with JJ. Could be limping in the hope to trap someone and pay me well for my set, could be an aggressive raise to get rid of mediocre hands and just have 1 opponent whom I can put on a kinda small range, could be 2BB bet that I make with lots of hands to not give my opponents a clue about my hand via bet size...

If JJ is profitable for you then you are playing it right ;)

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my experience, the general tactics of playing with the pocket pair JJ:
1. Raise from any position in the amount of 3bb or call the opponent's raise. If there is a 3-bet, then fold.
2. Play better against one or two opponents. If three or more players are playing on the flop (not counting you), the pocket pair JJ loses its power.
3. In the presence of overcard on the flop (A, K and Q) it is necessary to make a check, call or fold on the raise. With a safe flop and no raises - necessary to play aggressively, squeezing opponents out of the game.

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when I get a Jack I play very carefully.And I go to all only if the Jack on the table.This pair often loses..And she wins no more than the other couple before ten.

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing JJ under the gun, or two or three places from the blinds, is agonizing, If you make a big raise, what are you going to get called with that you are beating? That's the ultimate dilemma with pocket jacks. I don't like to four bet with jacks pre-flop. But I will almost always call. Folding JJ isn't very hard, especially since there aren't many flops that will make the player with JJ happy.

A

AngelBLR_Poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have JJ and there are no cards on the table, above J, then play aggressively, if there are a-Q cards on the table, then you should play carefully and not raise high stakes

CptRunBad

CptRunBad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty table/player specific. You should be playing this hand different ways depending on who is in the pot with you.

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is some good advice on this thread, thank you