How to play the Big Stack

Jay R

Jay R

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Inevitably you will be in a tournament winding down to the end & you’re sitting next to someone with 100,000 chips & you have 10,000 chips. How do you play the Big Stack?
Very carefully. Don’t try to suck out on Suck Out King. Realize he’s bluffing by over betting, but he’s not stupid. Play your blinds carefully & try to flop nuts, not a draw.
Might have to be willing to be patient. If you get your cards Big Stack is easy mark..

lovemetender

lovemetender

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Big stack tournaments requires lots of time in front of the computer.
You must be patient and have a litle bit of luck too.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I prefer to play a big stack loose and aggressive. Put your stack to work for you.

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Exploit strategy is good for big stack in mtt

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When i have a big stack, i always play the bully... [emoji23].
But dont be careless coz you might fall into a setup.

aleomar86

aleomar86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to be patient, and play each hand with intelligence, usually when you attack someone with more chips, you are usually a dead man, but it is not always like that.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Inevitably you will be in a tournament winding down to the end & you’re sitting next to someone with 100,000 chips & you have 10,000 chips. How do you play the Big Stack?
Very carefully. Don’t try to suck out on Suck Out King. Realize he’s bluffing by over betting, but he’s not stupid. Play your blinds carefully & try to flop nuts, not a draw.
Might have to be willing to be patient. If you get your cards Big Stack is easy mark..

I don't think only about the villain stack, if i'm under 20BB with ante, I use shove fold strategy.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You are waiting, as much as you can, for the good chances to grab them!

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With deep stacks, there are a lot of nuances, for example, some hands change in value, suited ace is better than shallow suited connectors, connected cards matter more than suited, and playing more loose or tighter - I think it depends a lot on your opponent.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The big stack is nice because you cover everyone (so one bad hand alone can't bust you) and also because you aren't in danger of being blinded out. Personally, I like the the bigger stack gives you more freedom and maneuverability.

Sometimes this means loosening up and being a "bully" and other times that means sitting tight and waiting for good cards without concern for being blinded out in the process. I think it depends more on table dynamics and tournament structure (or game format for cash games etc.).

What I DON'T do is just loosen up preflop and change little else while bullying others. 3-betting wildly and splashing chips and junk hands preflop is a good way to lose your own stack quickly. Don't forget that you are just as susceptible to variance and bad beats - regardless of stack size.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The way you play a Big Stack can differ greatly depending on your table image and previous hand history with the specific players involved.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my cases, as a rule, with such stacks, cards are dealt to me, which contribute to my early loss. Probably so that the game does not drag on for a long time.

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play in position and agressive put the presure on the table.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Hi.
I think the main thing is to be patient. In my opinion, you just need to wait for a good opportunity to have a real chance to double the stack.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Naturally, against a big stack, you need to play more aggressively than usual. But don't forget about reducing your normal opening range.