How to play against an aggressive player

N

Normbure

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So when playing against guys that are going all in pre flop every hand what type of hand do u call this type of player with suited connectors pocket pair do u just wait for this player to lose or move

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I assume we are talking about the odd player that jumps into microstakes games to blow off some steam? I love those guys lol.

They never last long. I just fold unless I have something in about the 7% of my range. Something like 88+,KJs+, AQ+. Then I'm ready to gamble. You'll win more than you'll lose over time.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The aggressive player is constantly applying pressure rather than playing every hand. What you describe is more like a maniac. Premium hands against a maniac might give an advantage, but that's not certain.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only time they make a profit is when other players are upset.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way you describe is more ore less a player who does play bingo poker, someone who does not care to much of the tournament is he play but ofc there are players that play agressive like this apparently and can have profits but even so they need to have a strategy they follow.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the best strategies for playing aggressive players is to see as many flops as possible and then lure your opponent into a trap. If you get raised frequently, it is important to 3bet for value as often as possible.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the villan is really just open jamming... then wait until you get a premium hand and call.

N

Nik990

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm expecting a good hand against tact players, AJ and above, or a pair of JJ and above, and I'm already punishing such a negligent player :)

M

Memphis legend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this dummy playing a tournament against you, or is it live? if its a tourney, then your stack dictates what to do. Also, what's the structure? How often do the blinds go up? What's your stack size? What's your position? If I'm first to deal with the idiot, then a-10+, pocket anything. If another player calls, I gotta have A-K, and pocket Q's. If it's a ring game, gonna wait for needles, Kings, QQ, and slick. Blinds ain't goin up, and I ain't goin nowhere.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If villain is truly a maniac (committing many chips with mediocre hands) then you just widen up your calling and raising range.

If villain is a solid aggro reg, then you just tighten up and call more instead of raise in spots where you have a good but not great hand. Solid regs will only call you with better, and you wanna give him a chance to bluff. You don't wanna raise up the pot unnecessarily. Pick your spots to bluff. Value bet with big hands and bluff with crap in the right situation. Call with hands in the middle.

Also be mindful of the hands you show down with the reg because he might have taken notes on you based on those hands. Use that to your advantage.

Again, if villain is a dummy, just play your big hands aggressively. No need to overthink.

VanAlves

VanAlves

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wait for a decent hand and pay. there's not much to do:p

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not that hard to take these guys, I consider this an opportunity. I'm just sad when someone else gets all their chips before me !

Of course, it doesn't always go your way, but like all things poker it's about odds and guts.