How much do you chase?

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is another question that can go along with cash games or MTTs. I posted awhile back about calling the turn and folding the river. So this really goes along with that one. The question is simply how much do you all chase a flush, a str8, or to hit a set. I'm one that don't do a lot of chasing unless the cost is very little. What is your opinion? GL to you all today

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t pay too much to chase when you only have 4-16% chance of hitting.
Also depends on pot size, position and opponents tendencies and stack size.
If I’ve got the big stack, I’ll play looser and chase more, not that that’s a good idea🤔

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't chase with the purpose to make my hand. I will have some kind of plan when I continue.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The old poker saying comes to mind, "those who chase straights and flushes arrived on a plane but leave on buses".:D:D

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies you all. To be sure, I read them all. That's a funny one B1BOMBER, but it's very true. I'm more likely to chase to the turn and fold if I don't hit, because the odds go way down after that card. I don't even play to hit inside str8s Matter of fact, I don't even play those cards that can put me in that position. GL to you all

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not like chasing unless it is too obvious, for example, having an AK hearts and the flop drops TJ hearts, it is obvious that there is a great percentage to hit a flush and or straight or royal flush, but many times everything goes to waste and you hit nothing. But that's poker, it is bad to wait, better you have to ensure a good game with the flop and play it safe. Regards.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is another question that can go along with cash games or MTTs. I posted awhile back about calling the turn and folding the river. So this really goes along with that one. The question is simply how much do you all chase a flush, a str8, or to hit a set. I'm one that don't do a lot of chasing unless the cost is very little. What is your opinion? GL to you all today
i prefer to base it off my opponents fold equity and turn it in to a semibluff
I'd want a fold not a call, so if I think he isn't folding then I'm not betting my draw

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I don't chase with the purpose to make my hand. I will have some kind of plan when I continue.
Are you saying that you chase, but not to make a hand. :confused:

:hmmmm2:

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I don't like to chase unless it's too obvious, for example, having an AK hearts and the flop drops TJ hearts, obviously there is a large percentage to ask for a flush or a flush or a royal flush, but many times it all goes to waste and it hits nothing. But that's the way poker is, it's bad to wait, you better have to ensure a good game with the flop and play it safe. Greetings.

I totally agree.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends if its worth it and who my opponents are. also if i'm getting lucky or should I waited out.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your intent is to fold your hand, then you need to do so as early as possible. Folding a flop and giving up 3bb, is a lot better than folding a turn for -8bb or the river for -12bb.

Having 8 or 9 outs is OK, but chasing when we have 12 outs or more is a better plan.

If we are betting when we have >8 outs, then we are adding fold equity to our equation. This additional well leverage allows us to win without worrying about our outs. Be aware of who you are playing against and whether the fold equity is significant enough to do this.

So we are comparing how many outs do I need to call with vs. how many outs do I need to semi-bluff bet with?

Good luck and God bless.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies you all. One thing is for sure, when my BR is low, then it does make me cut back on any chasing I might do when I can afford it. And right now that's a problem. GL to you all

Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is anything but cards.

The old poker saying comes to mind, "those who chase straights and flushes arrived on a plane but leave on buses".:D:D
Well said and most importantly to the point.):hello:
I like the story of the Norwegian genius girl "Annette_15".At the beginning of her career, she won $ 9 in a freeroll and did not make a single deposit after that.(and she won many major tournaments and several million.).:joyman:There was such a moment:One day I sat down to play, and I got bored. To have fun, I took duct tape and taped my cards on the monitor. It was interesting to see how long I could survive playing blindly. It always seemed to me that in poker, cards do not matter much if you play thoughtfully and concentrate.:thrasher:For the sake of experiment, she signed up for a $ 4 tournament for 180 people and won it without looking at her cards, confirming Phil Ivey's phrase: "Poker is anything but cards."