ScoobyEdu

How about some fun games?
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello FRIENDS !!!

Today I woke up with this thought, do I study the right way?

But beyond my doubt, I thought about people who are starting in poker and have the initial question: HOW TO STUDY POKER?

So I decided to create this topic so that we can discuss this subject and I know that each one has a different way of studying, as well as a different strategy.

I hope that we can here in this topic centralize the information on this subject... as well as some software that you use for your studies....

Thank you all!!!

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hello, I analyze certain hands after the session, I look at something in the solver, well, I need to play more, practice is the best training

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the time I study videos, sometimes articles on poker

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
To study poker, you need a variety of tools and methods.
Here are some things I think need to be incorproated into your study.
1) The Cards Chat 30-day course. It's a must to start with.
2) Hand reviews. You need to review every session you play and identify your leaks.
3) HUD reports. If you have a HUD, reviewing various built-in reports can be insightful.
4) poker books. I think that ,. these days, it is a good idea to read a book or two on GTO. You don't have to play like a robot but it helps to know the rules the robot is following. I like Jonathan Little's Excelling at NLHE. Dan Harrington book was OK. Read a Mike Carro book many years ago about tells... not useful for online, but if you play live, it is very useful.
5) Poker training sites: there are loads. PokerCoaching.com (Jonathan Little). GripsedPoker. Cards Chat. DPO.
6) Poker training Apps - DTO Poker is good for getting feedback on your play. Lots of tools here for improving your play.
7) Poker Videos: It is good to watch poker training videos, but not all that useful watching high stakes poker.
8) BRM training. If you are serious about making some money, you really need to manage your bankroll. Fun, gambly plays need to become infrequent.
9) Maths: you need to come to grip with all the maths involved which should be driving your decision making. You probably do an OK job of estimating probabilities, but to be great you really need to know your stats better.
10) player notes: you shoud be generating a LOT of player notes when you play and you should be reviewing them and editing/clarifying them on a regular basis.
11) set goals: You need to set goals for yourself to get better. It isn't magic. You don't just sit down and get rich playing poker. That isn't the way it works.
12) Measure progress: What are you setting goals for if you aren't reviewing progress and addressing issues along the way.
13) Play some poker: apply what you have learned in the previous steps to your game. Then review your play afterwards and continue the cycle.

Cheers,
JT

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
How do I study poker? There are enough information technologies and smart texts and smart video courses in our time. But all this is theory. It is known that theory without practice is a dead child of nature. Therefore, the main focus of my poker studies is practice, practice and practice again.

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my opinion, the best way to learn Poker is by watching the professionals. There are many internet videos where there are professionals of the time who dedicate themselves to creating videos where all their hands are analyzed, all the possible plays in different renowned tournaments. There are many videos that are also commented by professionals, these are the ones to pay special attention to if you want to learn, always seeing logically, the reason why plays such as bets, folds and checks are made according to the textures of the flop. and the study ranges present
Hello FRIENDS !!!

But beyond my doubt, I thought about people who are starting in poker and have the initial question: HOW TO STUDY POKER?

So I decided to create this topic so that we can discuss this subject and I know that each one has a different way of studying, as well as a different strategy.

I hope that we can here in this topic centralize the information on this subject... as well as some software that you use for your studies....

Thank you all!!!

D

Dellamora999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, for beginners, there are many good videos on youtube where pro players teach the basics, but I also recommend reading books about poker such as "the green book of poker - Phil Gordon" he teaches very well and has many strategies that work until today. Another highly recommended book is the “mental game of poker” but this one can be more "boring" for a beginner and of course "the math of poker" is something to study too to lose less to variance then watch the professionals playing because just watching a beginner won't understand the entirety of the play right ? He will see the winning hand but not the play behind it.

leoniq888

leoniq888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, colleagues. I read poker books, but only those that deal with mathematics. And most of them I watch tournaments with professionals, and make parses.

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Great current study alternatives are YouTube videos (of course, you must select the video you are going to watch well) and support software. There are several software that help us evolve.

kringoo

kringoo

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
2) Hand reviews. You need to review every session you play and identify your leaks.
3) HUD reports. If you have a HUD, reviewing various built-in reports can be insightful.
4) Poker Books. I think that ,. these days, it is a good idea to read a book or two on GTO. You don't have to play like a robot but it helps to know the rules the robot is following. I like Jonathan Little's Excelling at NLHE. Dan Harrington book was OK. Read a Mike Carro book many years ago about tells... not useful for online, but if you play live, it is very useful.
5) Poker training sites: there are loads. PokerCoaching.com (Jonathan Little). GripsedPoker. Cards Chat. DPO.
6) Poker training apps - DTO Poker is good for getting feedback on your play. Lots of tools here for improving your play.
7) Poker Videos: It is good to watch poker training videos, but not all that useful watching high stakes poker.
8) BRM training. If you are serious about making some money, you really need to manage your bankroll. Fun, gambly plays need to become infrequent.
9) Maths: you need to come to grip with all the maths involved which should be driving your decision making. You probably do an OK job of estimating probabilities, but to be great you really need to know your stats better.
10) player notes: you shoud be generating a LOT of player notes when you play and you should be reviewing them and editing/clarifying them on a regular basis.
11) set goals: You need to set goals for yourself to get better. It isn't magic. You don't just sit down and get rich playing poker. That isn't the way it works.
12) Measure progress: What are you setting goals for if you aren't reviewing progress and addressing issues along the way.
13) Play some poker: apply what you have learned in the previous steps to your game. Then review your play afterwards and continue the cycle.

Cheers,
JT
perfect this placement
here's the recipe now is to apply to your day to day
and make this method a daily source of knowledge
I've been reading the comments to this post here
and without a doubt this one is perfect
just follow that you will soon become a profitable player

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
To learn this wonderful game there are many lessons on the internet, however newcomers do not have the patience necessary for this study and try their luck playing poker for money in the hope of winning, my advice to them is to abstain if they care about their money! Even if sometimes there is “beginner luck” it does not take long! I learned to play online and after so many years I can say with certainty that I still have to learn, it is not easy to play poker if you want to have good results and I am glad that it is not easy as if it would be a simple game would become boring and would not have such a large audience!

zamana80

zamana80

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Watching how my friends playing and they explain to me a lot.
Also videos sometimes.
Sometimes i want to play random poker with no thinking but feeling.

JhonnyThe357

JhonnyThe357

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Here are some things I think need to be incorporated into your study.
4) Poker Books. I think that,. these days, it is a good idea to read a book or two on GTO. You don't have to play like a robot but it helps to know the rules the robot is following. I like Jonathan Little's Excelling at NLHE. Dan Harrington book was OK. Read a Mike Carro book many years ago about tells... not useful for online, but if you play live, it is very useful.
5) Poker training sites: there are loads. PokerCoaching.com (Jonathan Little). GripsedPoker. Card Chat. DPO.
6) Poker training apps - DTO Poker is good to get feedback on your game. Many tools here to improve your game.
7) Poker videos: It is good to attend poker training videos, but it is not useful to attend high stakes poker.
8) BRM training. If you really want to earn some money, you really need to manage your bankroll. Fun and risky jumps need to become infrequent.
9) Mathematics: you need to familiarize yourself with all the mathematics involved that should guide your decision making. You probably have a good job in estimating probabilities, but to be optimal you really need to know your statistics better.
10) player notes: you must generate MANY player notes when you play and you must review and edit/clarify them regularly.
11) Set goals: You need to define goals for yourself to improve. It's not magic. You don't feel rich playing poker. It doesn't even work.
12) Meça o progresso: For what are you setting goals you are not reviewing progress and addressing problems along the way.
13) Play a little poker: apply what you learn in the stages prior to your game. Then, review your game later and continue the cycle.

Health,
JT
How much information in this comment!! Excellent, obrigado pelas dicas. I'm going to try to buy one of those books that you mentioned above. I'm just studying through video classrooms for now. A good book will be a great acquisition to add more knowledge.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Studying poker math is fundamental for all players, courses going online or coaching will make you improve your game.

Mastering all the most profitable poker strategies is essential to make the best decision at any given time.

poker's range plan and statistics tools will make you stand out against other players in tough situations.

ScoobyEdu

ScoobyEdu

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
4) Poker Books. I think that ,. these days, it is a good idea to read a book or two on GTO. You don't have to play like a robot but it helps to know the rules the robot is following. I like Jonathan Little's Excelling at NLHE. Dan Harrington book was OK. Read a Mike Carro book many years ago about tells... not useful for online, but if you play live, it is very useful.
6) Poker training apps - DTO Poker is good for getting feedback on your play. Lots of tools here for improving your play.

Cheers,
JT
Really complete post... LoL
Thank you for sharing...
I believe this is ideal...

ScoobyEdu

ScoobyEdu

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Well, today I got some time between work and the Master's to leave my comment.

I believe that we cannot do without some study.
So, any step you take towards the evolution of your game is valid.
But for those who have no idea... at least you have to separate the important hands, or know which tournament deserves study attention.
Remembering, that.. ALWAYS when installing a poker software:
* check if it allows saving tournaments automatically or not.
* be aware that some study software cannot be open together with the poker site, for example, PS is an alert immediately. And the message is not very nice... LoL

For beginners, I think it is important to have Equilab to be able to analyze the behavior of ranges, because we are always facing a range and not a hand because We are not psychics... :)

Then if anyone has any doubts, I can put a post talking a little more about Equilab.

I think that's it....

And once again: Every step we take, regardless of size, if it's looking for learning and evolution... IT'S SUPER VALID!

And another thing is not to worry about losses, but learn to lose playing correctly... that the rest comes with time...

The worst thing in the game is fighting with your head... with what could have happened, what didn't... and it affects your whole game...

ScoobyEdu

ScoobyEdu

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Another thing I forgot.

On twitch and youtube there are many professionals teaching poker... in many different languages... but in English we have many more options...

Nowadays there is much more information, for example, when I had my first contact with poker in 2007

JhonnyThe357

JhonnyThe357

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Bom, today I have a tempinho between work and show to leave my comment.

I believe that we cannot do without some study.
Therefore, any step you take to the evolution of your game is valid.
But for whom you have no idea... at least it is necessary to separate the most important ones, or to know which tournament deserves attention from study.
Lembrando that.. ALWAYS when installing a poker software:
* check whether it is allowed to save tournaments automatically or not.
* Be aware that some study software cannot be opened together with the poker site, for example, PS is an immediate alert. And the message is not very legal... LoL

For beginners, it is important to have Equilab to be able to analyze the behavior of the ranges, because we are always on a range and not on a mine because we are not mediums...:)

Then, if someone had some duvida, I can post a post talking a little more about Equilab.

Eu acho that is isso...

And more once: Every step we take, regardless of size, is formed in search of learned and evolution... IS SUPER VALID!

And another thing is not to worry about losing, but learning to lose playing correctly... that the rest see with time...

For the sake of the game is brigar with the head... as what could have happened, what did not happen... and that affects all your game...
Great ressalva, mainly in the section that refers to the interval. Face, my time is also short, but I confess that I am playing in a greater proportion than the time dedicated to studies, in the end when we have a tempinho to people want to jump... I feel the evolution in my game, despite being an initiator. Isso custa. Abraços

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The vest way to study poker is making reviews of your own hand histories.

B

budweiser74777

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
on their mistakes - mainly

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello FRIENDS !!!

Thank you all!!!
I was a student at pokerstars a long time ago, the course for me at the time was very good and I continued watching some videos on youtube, which I do to this day, as I don't intend to become a professional, I don't go very deep into my studies.(y)

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
When you do study, make sure it is relevant to the style of the modern game.
Keep your range wide, something like 30/20 so you are not easily read.
Have a range for each opponent and on each street try a establish where their range fits the board cards.
Be aware of what category your cards occupy on each street and if the board has strengthened or weakened your holding.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hello, I analyze certain hands after the session, I look at something in the solver, well, I need to play more, practice is the best training
my biggest difficulty in studying poker initially was just not being able to understand the theoretical part without practice, really in poker things are together the theory of games and poker only start to make sense with practice ..... good luck in the tables and in personal life .... good studies

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When you do study, make sure it is relevant to the style of the modern game.
Keep your range wide, something like 30/20 so you are not easily read.
Have a range for each opponent and on each street try a establish where their range fits the board cards.
Be aware of what category your cards occupy on each street and if the board has strengthened or weakened your holding.
tips that are worth gold....thanks for sharing your experience

I agree with the attention to the modern game, the old techniques should serve as a parameter and History