How do you play when you are having above average chips

funkymoney

funkymoney

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently I have been having above the average chips in tournaments and could have finished in the money but I end up losing early. I couldn't control calling or raising my chips every time and always end up losing even when I had a good chance. Any good methods to control myself and to end up in the money or finish better

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well you kind of said it already: control yourself. Just because you have a big stack does not mean, you want to gamble it away. Maybe you can take on a few more spots, where you apply pressure to shorter stacks near the bubble. But in general you need to still play good solid poker. Its not suddenly ok to see a flop with K2s, just because you have a big stack.

funkymoney

funkymoney

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you kind of said it already: control yourself. Just because you have a big stack does not mean, you want to gamble it away. Maybe you can take on a few more spots, where you apply pressure to shorter stacks near the bubble. But in general you need to still play good solid poker. Its not suddenly ok to see a flop with K2s, just because you have a big stack.

Yes, You are right but still, I lose focus sometimes. Any suggestions to keep the mind focussed when playing for a long time

B

bobor19871987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bobor19871987

I play disproportionate tokens so that when I pretend I can't do it right away I'll give all in a good card I'll either win or lose:):):)

G

gwooof

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still play pretty tight but play a goofy hand time after time liking going for flushes have really good luck chasing them usually don't chase but when you got extra chips I go for it love making my opponent mad

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a similar problem but I don't know if it is because I am calling or betting to often with an above average stack . . . However, I have noticed if I have a smaller stack later in the game but prior to be in the money I will normally place in the money . . . If I have a large or above average stack I go out prior to placing -- it is frustrating for me an I am trying to figure out what I am doing differently in the hands . . .

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
when I am above average chips I always play more aggressively, trying to exploit my opponents to the maximum, especially if the table is more relaxed.

funkymoney

funkymoney

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a similar problem but I don't know if it is because I am calling or betting to often with an above average stack . . . However, I have noticed if I have a smaller stack later in the game but prior to be in the money I will normally place in the money . . . If I have a large or above average stack I go out prior to placing -- it is frustrating for me an I am trying to figure out what I am doing differently in the hands . . .

Yes same situation maybe we need to cool down a bit or sitout and focus our mind before playing again

B

bioman420

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play for fear of losing the blind, and without fear of paying for an expected hand at the end, but when I'm below average I become more cautious

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just as usual, aggressive and with the best part of its range given the position. A lot of chips does not improve the probability of collecting a hand, so I think it is not necessary to radically change something.:)

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm never really sure with myself; I kind of always just wing it on the spot lol

I adapt and change play-style for sooo many factors. Could be me picking up a good chip stack, moving tables, a fish in the Big Blind and a ton of variables. Whatever strategy you choose to elect, I think the most important thing is to not bluff off big portions of your coveted stack. By all means, take some steal attempts at blinds/antes or make bluffs (a larger stack gives you more room to try stuff like this), but I don't generally change approaches dramatically because I got a nice amount of chips. Perhaps this coupled with other factors, but don't forget that whatever you were doing was what gave you that chip stack! It doesn't make a ton of sense to change something just because it worked :D

How do I play after I get a good amount of chips? I guess it depends...depends on too many factors to take into account and what I think I can get away with in the moment :D

Goblingerty

Goblingerty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of folding unless a good hand been dealt

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play proper ranges based upon my stack size and dont deviate - I dont start opening up wider or calling off lighter very much at all, certain situations call for that and too many focus on having chips and end up spewing them off. No need for us to overcall marginal hands and lose pot after pot because we can afford to.

*If we are mid game and not in the $$ yet - i play normally as mentioned.
*IF we are near the stone money bubble (9 players to go or less) and im the big stack on the table, I will start opening ALOT of hands until someone starts 3betting me because no one wants to bust before the $$ and player over fold - me included.
*If we are recently ITM i still continue to play normally.
*If we are deep ITM (30 players or less) i will open normally but start to avoid marginal call offs that will damage my stack utility -- my goal is to make the FT, if i edge pass a few spots i dont care, i am confident i will outplay my villans long term so i dont need to take unnecessary risks/flips that may damage my chances of making FT $$.
*If im the big stack on my table with 11 or 12 left and 9 making the FT -- i will open almost EVERYTHING until someone shows me resistance, because again, players are over folding because they desperately want to make the FT. Pressure is key in these spots - but, pressure does not mean doing anything stupid like shoving all in every hand.

FT play as the big stack changes DRASTICALLY -- basically we have to be the tightest guy at the table, avoid any flips that will have us dropping down the pay ladder, and we have to be VERY passive until it comes down to 4 handed play where we can really open up, and go for the win! ICM is a mother...

In a nutshell, thats it for me.

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems counter intuitive, but I actually play my best poker with a short stack.

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently I have been having above the average chips in tournaments and could have finished in the money but I end up losing early. I couldn't control calling or raising my chips every time and always end up losing even when I had a good chance. Any good methods to control myself and to end up in the money or finish better

Think of your chips as the time left before you got kicked from a tournament.
If you got plenty of it, then why rush and play out of position when you can just wait for a better spot.
As long as you don't make mistakes, time will work for you. And in position you have full control over your decisions, which means - minimum mistakes)

GL:cool:

funkymoney

funkymoney

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Think of your chips as the time left before you got kicked from a tournament.
If you got plenty of it, then why rush and play out of position when you can just wait for a better spot.
As long as you don't make mistakes, time will work for you. And in position you have full control over your decisions, which means - minimum mistakes)

GL:cool:

Been better lately. I am picking my spots and playing according to the situation and players. need a lot of patience and don't have much so until i develop and control my mind i am occupied with other stuff or playing at two tables, that helps me fold a lot and pick my spots when i am having above average chips

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please always keep normal state of mind.

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, Poker is easier for calm people, who don't get annoyed by waiting for better opportunities.

H

Houdini9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, this is a difficult question to answer shortly, but without complicating your strategy too much, your aggression preflop and on the flop should be aggressive and loose when you can spare the chips of you get caught of guard. What I like best about this approach is it loosens up the table so when you wind up with a monster, the table is pretty much already triggered by your aggression and will generally play back at you hard giving you a generous payoff.

GL GL,

HOUDINI9

Vitorbismark

Vitorbismark

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
We can risk more!

In my view when we have a lot of chips, we dictate the pace of the table. As soon as I am comfortable and I know that I will not fall as easily from the tournament I prefer to increase my pre-flop opening range further in order to exploit my opponents.;)

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
looser I want to see more flops. Remember this is fun

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I keep on playing regardless of my chips

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I think the key is not to fall into excess confidence ... sometimes we could relax a lot when we have a lot of chips ... we get a little careless, we lose focus of what happens at our table ... and we end up losing everything we have won .... a tournament is not won until it is won ... and no prizes are entered until it is entered ...! so you have to be focused all the time ..!

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Ask yourself how you got an above average stack in the first place. I can guess it probably wasn't playing every hand. Stick to what is working and don't try to play too much out of the box.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think patience is one of the most valuable feature of poker. I wouldn't do nervous movements and simply wait for my chance.

Poker Chips - History of Chips