How do you know you are getting better?

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What kind of metrics are you using to validate that your skills are increasing? How do you know you are a better player than a year ago? Poker isn't like running, where you can measure your time for a mile. I ran a 6:00 min mile, next time I am for 5:59 min a mile.

Even after 1,000 mtt games, I can't say for sure I am better vs the old me. Sure I picked up some betting habits of regulars and I know their ranges better. But that is just having more information, I can't say I grew as a player.

I guess after 1,000 MTT games, I did grew on my way I handle tilts. After awhile you seen it all. AA crack on the bubble, sure. Getting holding QQ and someone call your shove with K6o, you beat ya. Bad beats happen so often, it is actually surprising if you don't get one somewhere along the line in a MTT.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) if you do not repeat the mistakes you did earlier, you certainly are better.
2) if your poker income has become better you probably are better. Or at least the same.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably hard to really evaluate, but I would say it has to do with how much more you have learned and implemented into your game. Clearly, the saying holds true: "Knowledge is power" because the more we know, then the better since we can make more informed decisions. This is extremely relevant in the game of poker because there are so many unknown variables (sure, you can place statistical values on ranges or the chance of x card hitting on the River, but ultimately, there are still "unknowns present."). Any information you have that your opponent does not gives you an advantage (why study in most anything - not just the game of poker - is so important).

Even if you are making more money/chips than you were last year, that might not instantly mean you improved as a poker player (maybe it is variance, luck or perhaps you just had one big successful event that year that skewed the data. Pretty sure my worst poker year ever would prove lucrative if I happened to win the wsop that year - I could probably lose every other, single poker game I played that year an still turn a profit in this hypothetical).

Measuring real improvement is then difficult to quantify, but I'd say it is a combination of playing experience, how comfortable you are playing and how much more you have learned over time. Money/chip gains might also be a decent measure, but this alone isn't enough.

A

anadrijav

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Assessing improvement in poker is easy these days as with active websites as they are, you can see your improvement by participating in similar events and going down in places or winnings.
Otherwise it is not true that with fictitious currency games you win, since it is not the same to know that you are going to lose money than to play for fun.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i haven't gotten better, i'm still the worst player on cardschat.

i guess i don't lose as much money as i used but i'm still absolutely terrible.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if you are having good results and moved to the next level of tournaments or cash games and had success in the new level and is having constant results at least a little better you are.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i haven't gotten better, i'm still the worst player on cardschat.
i guess i don't lose as much money as i used but i'm still absolutely terrible.
:stupido:
hi hi ohshoot!!! :ciao:
i feel similar you!
but you wrong
i very worst player in cardschat lol - ask anyone :puke:

blond.jpg

Sabrina Mix

Sabrina Mix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
quick way to evolve in poker. Making comments is a simpler and more efficient way to improve: you find your mistakes, correct your flaws and, consequently, your best results. In addition to being cheaper, because you can review some hands right now, or you can join with friends and other players to make group comments. worse than it is difficult to accept our mistakes

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think the question is wrong, we don't need to worry about it. Just find some guides, read, watch/listen and learn. Rules, all basic strategies, GTO, ICM, balance between practice and theory, self discipline, bankroll management, anti tilt, notes, hand review, additional software and so on.

Secret Rival

Secret Rival

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
i feel similar you!
but you wrong

blond.jpg

Well you didn't do too bad today! :bandit:

tonzinho7620

tonzinho7620

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1- if you are going far in a tournament and have enough chips.
2- is making a good profit through his moves: D

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i feel similar you!
but you wrong

blond.jpg
you helped your 2019 summer league team get 1st place. i could never do that. therefore, i'm the worst player.

nice try, though.

H

hanski4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you know situvations like the back of your hand

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
My bankroll is the best indicator. He grows, and my skill and experience grow with him.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Getting Better

One way is to keep track of your bank roll and see a steady increases VS the ups then downs from not having a steady game.

Just my thought/..

GL at the tables ALL! :D

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to say that you know that your game is improving when you find yourself becoming one of the usual suspects. That's the term I use to refer to the familiar names that I would always see battling it out towards the end of tournaments. Night after night, I would habitually play in the same tournaments. Every night as they would wind down to the last couple of tables, I would see names that I recognized from the night before or from two days before that. Over time it became nightly gathering of the usual suspects. When you find yourself becoming one of those usual suspects to the point where the other players start to greet you like a regular at the local bar, you've got to know that you're doing something right.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What kind of metrics are you using to validate that your skills are increasing? How do you know you are a better player than a year ago? Poker isn't like running, where you can measure your time for a mile. I ran a 6:00 min mile, next time I am for 5:59 min a mile.

Even after 1,000 mtt games, I can't say for sure I am better vs the old me. Sure I picked up some betting habits of regulars and I know their ranges better. But that is just having more information, I can't say I grew as a player.

I guess after 1,000 MTT games, I did grew on my way I handle tilts. After awhile you seen it all. AA crack on the bubble, sure. Getting holding QQ and someone call your shove with K6o, you beat ya. Bad beats happen so often, it is actually surprising if you don't get one somewhere along the line in a MTT.
When you register to an expensive 6 seater satellite with 2 ticket seats to win, Needing just one more player after you to start the game then realize your 4 opponents just quaking in their boots unregistered and satellite does not start for an eternity.:laugh:
tenor.gif

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the best way to know if we are improving over time. these are your long term results and the state of your bankroll. the sharkscope tool allows you to access information and statistics about your account. we also know that we have improved our game when we no longer repeat the same mistakes and that we learn to manage all hands by playing them in the best possible way.

D

darkgonz

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PE
Chips
keeping track of how your bankroll is doing and making fewer mistakes

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once my bankroll increases a little, only then can I say that my game is improving.

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I am going to give you a quick and simple answer, and with it you can see that your level of play in Poker has increased: win rate.:idea:

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know im getting better when you do everything you are attempting to do..

To get called when you have it..

When they fold when you dont

Thiagon

Thiagon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I started out learning from my brother and my cousins.
Over time I molded and improved just playing and gaining experience.
I currently learn a lot by debating with my cousins about certain decision making.
It is difficult to change my style of play after so long, but little by little I succeed.

S

scrappypower

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you have to fold a good hand to a 3 bet or even if you last longer

Last edited:
VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe it is possible to know if you are improved according to your semantic results and also your own understanding of the game, not always winning, but understanding what is the best option to do at the moment.