How to avoid quick decisions?

R

ricardibreezer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1 of my biggest self-criticisms is making decisions too quickly (online). This can lead to snap-calls when i should be making folds.

1 method of combating this problem is to remove my hand the mouse, so like live poker i need to reach for the mouse much like id reach for chips. It has helped, but it's still a problem for me.

B

Binraker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If playing just one table I can see that working. But if you’re multi tabling I think a process might work more effectively. A process where you ask yourself a list of questions before making the decision is a good idea.
I’d say some of the questions could be: what’s the size of the bet in relation to the pot; from this, what percentage of the hands I could have here should I fold/call/raise; what hands are possible on this board; where does my hand rank in these?
This could probably be refined/added to but it’s a good place to start.

L

louaylouay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Something that I do is think of the decision I will make before it comes to be. If I am on the button with whatever hand I will think (ok, if this folds to me I am stealing the blinds because of xyz. If theres a raise from the CO I can defend with a 3-bet with this hand. If the raise comes early, I'm folding. If my steal is reraised by the SB I am folding, but I'll call a BB 3bet because he's weaker),

Now, I only play 1 table at a time so it is easier for me to do. If you are playing multiple tables, I can't give much advice.

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If playing just one table I can see that working. But if you’re multi tabling I think a process might work more effectively. A process where you ask yourself a list of questions before making the decision is a good idea.
I’d say some of the questions could be: what’s the size of the bet in relation to the pot; from this, what percentage of the hands I could have here should I fold/call/raise; what hands are possible on this board; where does my hand rank in these?
This could probably be refined/added to but it’s a good place to start.
Yep, a proccess like that seems impossible to do at muti-table playing, but seems you do avoid a lot of trouble at showdown.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Well 'thinking' for starters is always a good one. And then just not clicking buttons before thinking.

Honestly what are you thinking when just click buttons? Are you even putting villain on a range of hands given the previous action & other dynamics of the hand. Is the other player's hand even a consideration when making a call? I'm really confused.

R

ricardibreezer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well 'thinking' for starters is always a good one. And then just not clicking buttons before thinking.

Honestly what are you thinking when just click buttons? Are you even putting villain on a range of hands given the previous action & other dynamics of the hand. Is the other player's hand even a consideration when making a call? I'm really confused.

When i play 200+ hands online i certainly get a case of "auto-pilot" and play too quickly without giving hands adequate thinking time.

A good example is a hand i played today. I can't remember the specifics but i had 8-9s. The pot is raised to 3x bb preflop, 2 callers & 3 players see a flop. Flop comes 8-9-J. First player checks, i bet, next player (fairly tight) raises 3x. Player 1 folds. At this point (with very little thinking time), my 'auto-pilot' realises I'm well ahead of overpairs, & ahead of draws and bluffs... and only losing to a set or the Q-10 nuts. Given i beat more hands than i would lose too in this spot my autopilot decides I'm ahead so i make the call. Bricks on both the turn & river seen me insta-call 2 more bets, that were approx 75% to pot... and ofcourse lose to nuts.

Had this hand played out in live play, maybe i still get to a showdown but i would easily have spent a minimum of 30+ seconds on every street, yet something about online play brings out a fustrated impatience in me & how i play my hands - a problem I've been able to recognise but not conquer.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know about online - but live I like to count to 5 in my head when the action comes to me - this stops me making impulsive decisions.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
snap calling is a problem, you need to condition yourself, especially when the bet is large you have to take your time and go through the hand, Discipline is hard but important.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I would also think about what kind of player you are against- you mentioned fairly tight and also how you are perceived at the table. If you are perceived as tight and you are being raised by a tight player you better slow down and think about whether you want to call a big bet. Sit on your hands and count to 3 before you even think if that helps control the impluse to just click.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the issue is not avoiding making quick decisions but to make better decisions. One way may to be take more time but another that I am working on is to study more so there are less decisions to make and the spots just become second nature.

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think the issue is not avoiding making quick decisions but to make better decisions. One way may to be take more time but another that I am working on is to study more so there are less decisions to make and the spots just become second nature.

Certainly, you hit the nail in the head! Better decisions that`s the actual matter.

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey! Sometimes I also have this problem, I make decisions too quickly in online poker, although I usually play for a long time, nitty. In such cases, I try to persuade myself not to rush, you can always fly out, and you can't earn money by flying out without prizes) self-hypnosis, self-discipline, I think, will help you in this case.

Geksan_87

Geksan_87

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To avoid quick decisions is possible if you imagine at least for some minutes the consequences of your decisions. Sometimes it really helps. You should always have some decisions to choose the best one of them.

_xrolex_90

_xrolex_90

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh, this is my eternal problem. Fast and impulsive decisions in important hands. I know that you need to think as well as possible in such moments, but it does not work out as often as I would like :D

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Hey! Sometimes I also have this problem, I make decisions too quickly in online poker, although I usually play for a long time, nitty. In such cases, I try to persuade myself not to rush, you can always fly out, and you can't earn money by flying out without prizes) self-hypnosis, self-discipline, I think, will help you in this case.

There is no such thing as making your decisions too quickly.
In fact should you do that in poker then you can only benefit from it in every-day situations etc ...

C

coolbrees 9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree certain situations require a minute to process ur opponents hand range possibilities for optimal decision making

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When playing live, if I need more time, I just feign a heart attack. It doesn't seem to work all that well when playing online, however.

Come to to think of it, it doesn't seem to work all that well when playing live either. :p

Last edited:
R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also tend to play reflexively.

I think it's a lack of motivation to study poker more deeply.