Help!

A

a sinple guy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Gday, I learned to appreciate TH in the last months and I would love to improve my game.
But there is a big elephant in the room, I´m only 16 and can´t buy anything online (parents...) :(.

I study for 1,5 to 2h activily[ish] (for the last 7 months). But how do I maximise improvment in this timeperiod?
Are there any sites/Apps/contencreators you guys would recommend for studying, f.e. equilab etc.?
Moreover, are there any "playmoney"-sites [or groups that don´t play for real money] that have actual competition (not just pushovers...), where there is value in playing on these sites?

Thanks in advance for your replies :)!

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You probably won't like this reply, but I'm gonna give you my best advice given your age.

Learn to code. Choose one of either Python or Web Development. If you aren't sure, just go with Python. You can do it free and all online. Come to poker when you're old enough to deposit on your own.

The skills you develop learning to code will help you with poker later in terms of game theory, critical thinking, and study habits. And you'll acquire a real-world valuable skill in the process.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

Study as much as you can. watch poker videos, so you can see actual play. Start by watching the Cardschat 30 day course. There are lots of free poker sites, were you can play to get practice.

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I started playing when I was 12 and won in a short period of time a lot more than I am winning today. At the time I managed to "gain access" (it was actually a fun activity at that age, no ill intentions, sorry) to all the materials on pokerstrategy (I think it still exists) and studied the hell out of it for 20 hours a day for about a week. I still don't sleep more than 4-5 hours a night (bad idea to choose Kieth Richards as a role model from a young age, I may die young but happy that I have been awake for 3 lifetimes). And I took it seriously and enjoyed it. Besides I skipped most of the school as I found it too slow and boring. But I got my A's in the end anyway without a worry. Besides, I had other hobbies like driving just as illegally or doing any other stupid things for my fun

If you are truly commited to doing this properly, not just a fun hobby, you will find (one way or another, wink wink) all the materials you need to study online. It's the obsession that will drive you to what you couldn't find out yet.

If things like these don't intrigue or obsess you, keep going to school for another 10 years and then get an average job so you can pay back the loans you acquired in the meantime.

I shouldn't disclose much more. Go find your own way kiddo, don't wait around for it, seek it like there's no tomorrow! And don't do drugs, they're not fun. There are so many other illegal, more entertaining, adrenaline producing and productive things to do.

And no chip play is genuine as there is no stake. Beat the pushovers first and when that becomes a walk in the park, find ways to play for real money that ain't even yours. Best thing about teenagers, lots of challenges and mysteries.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Study as much as you can. watch poker videos, so you can see actual play. Start by watching the Cardschat 30 day course. There are lots of free poker sites, were you can play to get practice.

Agreed. The only "issue" might be the age though as even playmoney sites typically require the player to be at least 18 years old. If a playmoney site (so you don't have to deal with identification, documents etc. for withdraws), then I'd imagine it not too difficult to create an account and play those games - possibly even play in the cardschat freerolls, cardschat team league, cardschat individual league etc.

I don't want to recommend those if 18+ is required (as I'm not really sure what the age requirements are for various sites etc.), but good luck finding somewhere to learn and improve with :)

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gday, I learned to appreciate TH in the last months and I would love to improve my game.
But there is a big elephant in the room, I´m only 16 and can´t buy anything online (parents...) :(.

I study for 1,5 to 2h activily[ish] (for the last 7 months). But how do I maximise improvment in this timeperiod?
Are there any sites/apps/contencreators you guys would recommend for studying, f.e. equilab etc.?
Moreover, are there any "playmoney"-sites [or groups that don´t play for real money] that have actual competition (not just pushovers...), where there is value in playing on these sites?

Thanks in advance for your replies :)!
get a job :eek: you got too long before you can play. I love it that someone your age is interested but it just isn't feasible.
stay up with the game by watching youtube videos and saving money from work.
by the time you are old enough to play you may already have bills of your own to pay unless living in your parents' basement,
if that's the case you will have a bankroll.
playing at a play money site will help you get used to poker software but guaranteed to develop bad habits.
chances of making a living from poker are about the same as moving to Hollywood and becoming a movie star.
stay patient and learn over time and you will have a better chance to get to the top.

A

a sinple guy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are truly commited to doing this properly, not just a fun hobby, you will find (one way or another, wink wink) all the materials you need to study online. It's the obsession that will drive you to what you couldn't find out yet.

Yeah I totally agree, it´s actually way easier then I thought, but I just exploited (bugs) on sites to get what I need and didn´t download sth. somewhere...

So your advise is just play the micros, I only have a maestro card[ so i can´t buy thing online].

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yeah I totally agree, it´s actually way easier then I thought, but I just exploited (bugs) on sites to get what I need and didn´t download sth. somewhere...

So your advise is just play the micros, I only have a maestro card[ so i can´t buy thing online].

Disclaimer: this is not financial or legal advice and it's all theoretical for a time in the future when you become of legal age.

I'm advising you to go the legal cheapest way to test your skills and why not improve them. I'm guessing your basic needs are fulfilled by your parents so you have time (your best asset, which declines exponentially as you grow up) and no worries yet (as in how not to become homeless next month), to do whatever you want.

Luckily, for everyone, Cardschat offers so many invaluable opportunities to learn (website) and earn (freerolls) for free. So, study poker until legally allowed to play. Then, play the freerolls, build your bankroll, learn about risk and money management and seek opportunities to become better and build yourself and your capital for basically free by using your time instead of your money. Considering it is still available then.

Money management is an absolute requirement for everyone, which is completely avoided by "education". It's all illegal for kids to learn about or to play with money.

I don't know where you are from but I imagine it's not allowed for you to play for real money and impossible to withdraw any winnings and it's probably just as impossible for you to open any poker accounts. Of course, I never played when I was really young, a family member did, with full consent and support from me (or the other way around, can't remember, it was too long ago when it was still fine to drink and drive).

Besides, you can top up your knowledge with poker books you can find online. It only takes time to find them but you can get good stuff very cheaply or even for free.

As far as I know, all great sports players started from a very young age. And since many argue that this is a sport, not gambling, then you should be allowed to do whatever, but not yet.

Off topic rant: It's funny how kids can't play poker, for example, even for virtual chips, but tobacco products have always been aimed at children cause that's their main market, fact not opinion.

Oh, these complexities of life.

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
On second thoughts, you're a teenager so you'll do whatever you want anyway, cause no one tells you what to do and no one can control you, EVER. No one gives you advice about nothing, I tell you.

You could be rebellious about it, just like old people can do whatever they want, be rude and inconsiderate and no one will ever judge them or hold any grudge against them. Ginger Baker proved this theory in his fairly recent documentary, may he rest in peace.

Maybe do that?

Or be like Tony here in his eighties:

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

lke I said. take the 30 day cardschat free course. Watch a lot of u tube games and strategy takes , such as Negreau, dave polk, etc Read some of the latest books and study the charts .