Hello all. I’m seeking advice on what area I should study first

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No my objection is not to be a professional. All I want is to be able to cash out the odd time. I have done twice and before I started looking up theory.
I’ve put about €40 into accounts and took €500 plus a little out.
On my progress I’ve cashed in 2 tournaments today. 2 long ass 3000+ tournaments
I’ll sleep tonight

I get you, friend.
in this case, you want to play a few times and be profitable, right?

keep dedicating for this to happen hehe

GG

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything in poker compounds, think of it this way raise 2bb before the flop and then each consecutive bet is a half pot bet (this is just an example not a fact) so pre flop you raise 2bb and the small blind calls everyone else folds now there are 5bb in the pot your 2bb the small blinds 2bb and the 1bb folded by the big blind... so you raise half pot on flop 2.5bb and get called now there is 10bb in the pot and you do the same on the turn bet 5bb into 10bb and get called and on the river you bet 10bb into the 20bb... if you happen lose this hand by making a mistake depending on where you made the mistake each bet after the mistake got bigger and bigger meaning the earlier you made the mistake the more you've lost!
So take it one street at a time start with pre flop! Cut down pre flop mistakes and you've cut down the mistakes you make on the flop etc with hands that shouldn't be there... start with your ranges if you're happy with that then look into spots like with x stack size in early position, late position etc.... study button play and big blind play with stack sizes and actions of everyone else in the pot!
That's where I'd start anyway!

I always think about what's most common that will improve your game the quickest and most easiest
I went with this order when I first

I started with
1.opening this is the most common you want a fundamentally sound preflop game
2. calling a preflop raise
3. 3betting by posistion and sb play (some players in cash games have a 3b or fold strategy from this player you can look this up)
4. flop c-betting (c-betting big for value ) but also later knowing what kind of boards are good for your range later on for c-betting to take down the pot
5. calling flop c-betting some players might be a bit to fit or fold with this so its a good idea to call some c-bets with plans on taking down pots on the turn more often when you face button opens and you call from bb
6. x-raising some flops as bluffs with good backdoor equity and overcards
7. barreling turn as a semi bluff when you turn equity or as a bluff

and it goes on ofcourse I can't go all day about what you should learn but notice how it all started with preflop then it went to flop and turn I would go on and learn some complex river situations just yet because in 60k hands on pokertracker there's only 63 hands ive bet flop turn and river so that would be even less for x-raise or AI on the river

im assuming your completely new so some of these might not apply to you

hope this helps:)

Bankroll management and the fundamentals. Then learn the rest at your own pace.
Or just keep playing freerolls like a boss and don't give a f about boring theories and be in the 97% of players.

Read it it's worth it. I read two chapters position and pre flop and it got me to third out 755 on a micro TT.

Good luck, just know that the lessons are great on YT but there's more indepth explainations on the pdf

Value/bluff bets
Ranges and combos
Equity (odds : pot odds)
Implied odds
Fold equity
Exploitative/GTO concepts

I think we can play reazonably with that.

Each player has their own experience and style of play. It can always be different, depending on the players you play with. If you always play the same way, you will be quickly beaten.

often at the beginning of acquaintance with poker it seems that this is a lottery and a lot depends on luck or on some factors not related to the game itself, just play on the bankroll and you will understand that this is a simple and very difficult game, you will know all the charms of variance and downstream, without it this game is not

Bankroll management and preflop ranges. You won't find good preflop ranges for free, especially SB, BB and 3bet-4bet ranges, but ask around and you someone might give you them for 20-30 bucks. Preflop ranges are absolutely the most important part of poker.

If I have to pick only one topic of studying that would be the raise first in (RFI) ranges , and how to adapt based on the line up of players.

Without a solid pre flop game don't waste your energy and time in something else!

I found the "Poker Strategy" tab at the top of the page to be very helpful.
It may seem long at first to go thru, but if your serious about learning and improving, you can take them 1 at a time everyday.
One way to do it is before spending hours playing on your favorite website, take the time to view 1 course and then start playing your daily fix of games.
After a week or so of doing this you will see that you are all done.

The guide on here is good but watching the videos is essential as the bulk of the content is there rather than in the PDF.

Not sure why so many seem to think bankroll management though, it's not really a skill to be learnt but rather a matter of discipline and understanding a few simple things. It's also wont help you a lot if you aren't good at poker.

Have you checked out the new 30 day course that cardschat put together?

It's very complete and will walk you step by step thru what you need to learn to do great!

For some other supplementary videos this playlist is very beginner friendly (and will still teach you a lot of intermediate and advanced concepts throughout) - http://gripsed.com/win

checkout my mini bankroll challenge its not based on tournaments but its a real way of thinking about hands and seeing me at the moment going through the bad and the good it will be posted nearly every day with results and im honest about mistakes I make and what im going to do to fix them

good luck at your games

Remember that you never 'get there', poker is a continuous journey.

There is always more to learn and ways to improve.

With time, study & practice you will keep improving.

Sounds like you're starting to get to grips with it though, onwards & upwards! :wink:

:icon_thum

Basics of Ranges, first yours then others.
If you start out with this in mind it will eventually become second nature and will be the foundation to build everything on.

Put your real focus on other things to improve your game but sprinkle some study of ranges every day. Most players do this way later in there development but it takes a ton of time to develop and if done early could become a great foundation to build on.

Besides the Cardschat course i can recommend the older Dan Harrington books:
D.H. on cash games if you are a cashgamer and
D.H. on Holdem if youre a tourney fan
these books are older but still a good basis

It depends on your goal!
If you want to become a professional, the road is long.
Practice a lot, read a lot of content, watch different videos and if you have the opportunity, join a poker team.

First of all I would like to tell you that studying a little will be beneficial for you, but related to the style of play, I believe that if you start playing the sit's it will be great to build a graph and get a good base of the game in

I think understanding position and range of play is a huge point for beginners or intermediate players to learn about.

In poker, all areas are important and you need to study them all together in stages.Players constantly model their game even though they play at a professional level.Search for training videos watch streams of professionals read training literature on the Internet.Analyze the hands you've played.Work on your mistakes.Live and learn!Good luck to you!

Don't apologize for multi-quoting, it makes me (at least) happy to see! Much easier on the eye than ten individual quoted posts from one member... :biggrin: :icon_thum

Don't forget that if you multi-quote ten posts, and want to reply to them individually, you can type in between each quoted post too. Your text doesn't have to exclusively be after the quotes, it can be between them as well..

~~~~~~​

Now, on to your question...

Similarly to 'what to study first', I can't tell you whether your recent results were down to a lucky run or astute play...

The reason (as poker players) we don't focus on results is because we can play badly and win, and equally, play great and lose.

The only way to determine whether we have made good decisions (i.e. 'played well') is through analysis, which is one of the reasons it's important and beneficial to track and review our play.

My intuition tells me that your good results are due to you boldly playing your heart out while applying the principles you've been studying, but what do I have to go on beyond my gut? :)

The more consistently you achieve good results, the less likely it is purely down to chance.

Keep studying, keep practicing (what you learn while studying) at the felt and keep analysing your play after the fact.

From what I've read, I don't think you're arrogant about improving rapidly... Probably just a quick learner and transferring knowledge & skills from your degrees and life experience to poker.

While you keep chalking up more wins and good results, my advice to you now is to be disciplined with your BRM (BankRoll Management) and to just keep building...

We get good runs and bad runs, the important thing is not to get too carried away with either and to stay focused on that which we have control.

I'm very pleased to read of your triumphs and look forward to reading about many more in future! :congrats:

Regards.

~EDIT:- Who do you have to prove 'not being an idiot' to? :wink:
That you for that, there is a lot of good information.
Currently the only reviewing of my own play is in game when I have a look at the mucked hands to see there ranges.
I’ve also discussed on here that I’ve lost to get options on my play.
So that is an area that needs more effort.
Should I download a HUD for playing also?
Do you use a HUD?

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should I download a HUD for playing also?
Do you use a HUD?

Right now , I'm not using a HUD, but I will do in the future. The reason is that I'm still working hard on my game, and I don't want a HUD to distract from that.

Of course, a HUD is only giving information on opponents rather than giving me decisions, but the automated collection of this information would likely risk me not paying enough attention to my opponents and relying on HUD stats.

My focus at the moment is really nailing opponent hand reading, and putting them on ranges, so I want to make sure I keep every incentive to pay full attention. If I have a HUD I can see myself flicking in and out and relying on the opponents general stats. I also only play 1 table.

C

Cei90

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there,

So I have only been playing poker for about a year only started online play about 3 months ago.

I started on 888 and I was doing ok.
After my friend pointed me to party poker my game has improved tenfold as they give you a report to show you where your weaknesses are.

However if your just looking for an area to study positional play and ranges are really important and you can watch your game improve just by tightening your range and using your position on table. :cool:
Iv attached the ranges for early and late positions. Remember this is just suggested range so can deviate from it if needed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200508-222816_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200508-222816_Chrome.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20200508-222812_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200508-222812_Chrome.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 26
SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think bet size and table position are something to focus on early doors.

Table position allows you to steal some pots cheaply, with less quality cards than normal. then focusing on bet size, and how your bet could look to the other players is a great way to maximise your hands when you get them.

As an example, when playing last night, I specifically over bet the pot when I knew i was winning, against players I know quite well, i hoped one would think i was just trying to buy the pot on the river, but actually both decided I was, I assume I got lucky that they also had something to call with, but it was much more than I would have got betting an amount which was designed to force a call.

Won't work every time of course, but when it works its works big!

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I will talk for myself here , I used to play but without a strong pre flop game , I was making fancy moves and all that stupid things , NO. After changing that and stop chasing the crazy guys I constantly have deep runs and a couple of nice results, just stick to your plan and you will be a profitable player.

Day after day your post flop game will improve too and all that will become second nature for you and the story goes on.

I strongly believe that the book of the forum is a good start , it has everything you will need in one place.I mean I don't ''advertise'' it because I am a member of the forum etc.If you want something more advanced then there are many choices (free/paid) out there.

I am a recreational player but I am telling you what has worked for me. I think the same will do the job for you too.

I am a PT4 user , IMHO you can play without a HUD but personally I like multi table sessions and I want to have the ability to track down the spots in order to post them here to CC etc.

I am very glad for your results!!
Keep it up :)

cferdi

cferdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you Neart.
Have you viewed the tutorial on here, ‘Become A Winning Online Poker Player In 30 Day’s’ ?
If you have is there a section in it that explains pre flop play?

I would HIGHLY recommend the online tutorial CardsChard provides - it has helped me improve my game no end! And they answer any questions you have on each day of the course which is also invaluable. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain! :D

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything in poker compounds, think of it this way raise 2bb before the flop and then each consecutive bet is a half pot bet (this is just an example not a fact) so pre flop you raise 2bb and the small blind calls everyone else folds now there are 5bb in the pot your 2bb the small blinds 2bb and the 1bb folded by the big blind... so you raise half pot on flop 2.5bb and get called now there is 10bb in the pot and you do the same on the turn bet 5bb into 10bb and get called and on the river you bet 10bb into the 20bb... if you happen lose this hand by making a mistake depending on where you made the mistake each bet after the mistake got bigger and bigger meaning the earlier you made the mistake the more you've lost!
So take it one street at a time start with pre flop! Cut down pre flop mistakes and you've cut down the mistakes you make on the flop etc with hands that shouldn't be there... start with your ranges if you're happy with that then look into spots like with x stack size in early position, late position etc.... study button play and big blind play with stack sizes and actions of everyone else in the pot!

I always think about what's most common that will improve your game the quickest and most easiest

I started with
3. 3betting by posistion and sb play (some players in cash games have a 3b or fold strategy from this player you can look this up)
4. flop c-betting (c-betting big for value ) but also later knowing what kind of boards are good for your range later on for c-betting to take down the pot
5. calling flop c-betting some players might be a bit to fit or fold with this so its a good idea to call some c-bets with plans on taking down pots on the turn more often when you face button opens and you call from bb

and it goes on ofcourse I can't go all day about what you should learn but notice how it all started with preflop then it went to flop and turn I would go on and learn some complex river situations just yet because in 60k hands on pokertracker there's only 63 hands ive bet flop turn and river so that would be even less for x-raise or AI on the river

Or just keep playing freerolls like a boss and don't give a f about boring theories and be in the 97% of players.

Read it it's worth it. I read two chapters position and pre flop and it got me to third out 755 on a micro TT.

Good luck, just know that the lessons are great on YT but there's more indepth explainations on the pdf

Value/bluff bets
Ranges and combos
Implied odds
Fold equity

Each player has their own experience and style of play. It can always be different, depending on the players you play with. If you always play the same way, you will be quickly beaten.

often at the beginning of acquaintance with poker it seems that this is a lottery and a lot depends on luck or on some factors not related to the game itself, just play on the bankroll and you will understand that this is a simple and very difficult game, you will know all the charms of variance and downstream, without it this game is not

Bankroll management and preflop ranges. You won't find good preflop ranges for free, especially SB, BB and 3bet-4bet ranges, but ask around and you someone might give you them for 20-30 bucks. Preflop ranges are absolutely the most important part of poker.

If I have to pick only one topic of studying that would be the raise first in (RFI) ranges , and how to adapt based on the line up of players.

Without a solid pre flop game don't waste your energy and time in something else!

It may seem long at first to go thru, but if your serious about learning and improving, you can take them 1 at a time everyday.
One way to do it is before spending hours playing on your favorite website, take the time to view 1 course and then start playing your daily fix of games.

The guide on here is good but watching the videos is essential as the bulk of the content is there rather than in the PDF.

Not sure why so many seem to think bankroll management though, it's not really a skill to be learnt but rather a matter of discipline and understanding a few simple things. It's also wont help you a lot if you aren't good at poker.

It's very complete and will walk you step by step thru what you need to learn to do great!

For some other supplementary videos this playlist is very beginner friendly (and will still teach you a lot of intermediate and advanced concepts throughout) - http://gripsed.com/win

checkout my mini bankroll challenge its not based on tournaments but its a real way of thinking about hands and seeing me at the moment going through the bad and the good it will be posted nearly every day with results and im honest about mistakes I make and what im going to do to fix them

good luck at your games

Sounds like you're starting to get to grips with it though, onwards & upwards! :wink:

If you start out with this in mind it will eventually become second nature and will be the foundation to build everything on.

Put your real focus on other things to improve your game but sprinkle some study of ranges every day. Most players do this way later in there development but it takes a ton of time to develop and if done early could become a great foundation to build on.

It depends on your goal!
Practice a lot, read a lot of content, watch different videos and if you have the opportunity, join a poker team.

First of all I would like to tell you that studying a little will be beneficial for you, but related to the style of play, I believe that if you start playing the sit's it will be great to build a graph and get a good base of the game in

I think understanding position and range of play is a huge point for beginners or intermediate players to learn about.

In poker, all areas are important and you need to study them all together in stages.Players constantly model their game even though they play at a professional level.Search for training videos watch streams of professionals read training literature on the Internet.Analyze the hands you've played.Work on your mistakes.Live and learn!Good luck to you!

Hi there,

So I have only been playing poker for about a year only started online play about 3 months ago.

After my friend pointed me to party poker my game has improved tenfold as they give you a report to show you where your weaknesses are.

However if your just looking for an area to study positional play and ranges are really important and you can watch your game improve just by tightening your range and using your position on table. :cool:
Iv attached the ranges for early and late positions. Remember this is just suggested range so can deviate from it if needed.
Thank you for that. I’ll look into partypoker.

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will talk for myself here , I used to play but without a strong pre flop game , I was making fancy moves and all that stupid things , NO. After changing that and stop chasing the crazy guys I constantly have deep runs and a couple of nice results, just stick to your plan and you will be a profitable player.

Day after day your post flop game will improve too and all that will become second nature for you and the story goes on.

I strongly believe that the book of the forum is a good start , it has everything you will need in one place.I mean I don't ''advertise'' it because I am a member of the forum etc.If you want something more advanced then there are many choices (free/paid) out there.

I am a recreational player but I am telling you what has worked for me. I think the same will do the job for you too.

I am a PT4 user , IMHO you can play without a HUD but personally I like multi table sessions and I want to have the ability to track down the spots in order to post them here to CC etc.

I am very glad for your results!!
Keep it up :)
Thank you for your very gratefully appreciated advice! Information to target where I need to go.

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would HIGHLY recommend the online tutorial CardsChard provides - it has helped me improve my game no end! And they answer any questions you have on each day of the course which is also invaluable. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain! :D
Yes thanks. I have completed a third of it, then took a break from it and put it to use. Next I plan to go back over certain parts now I understand better to see what I missed.
Good luck 🍀

KeyJey

KeyJey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that first of all you need to learn elementary mathematics

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I started with

Value/bluff bets
Ranges and combos
Implied odds
Fold equity

good luck at your games

It depends on your goal!

Hi there,

I’ve looked at trust pilot and while I’ve seen problems with taking money out and the usual ‘rigged program’, one person gave good percentages over 1000 hands and here it is;(what is your opinion on what is mentioned?)
and i found that:

10% of my double ups were from all - ins where I actually had the best hand.

26% of my double-ups were from semi bluff shoves or raises (e.g all in with a flush draw/straight draw and get there on the turn/river)

64% of my double ups were from tilt/shortstack shoves that beat a better hand (e.g AX cracked AX with a higher kicker almost every time)

And now the important part, the times where I either lost my entire buy in or a huge amount in one pot:

3% was when I bluffed and got called by a very strong hand/nuts

6% was when I called all in and got coolered (e.g A high flush over K high flush on the flop)

32% was when I bluffed and got called by a very weak hand that was strong enough to beat my bluff(e.g once i bluffed all in on a 4 card flush board, got called by second pair with no flush lol)

59% was when I went all in either preflop with a very strong hand or when I had a monster flop etc and ended up losing to a donk call that got there on the turn or river (e.g I had aces, flop trips and a guy raises, I shove and he makes a straight on the end with runner runner).

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a bad day 2 days ago but yesterday cashed in a freeroll on 888.
First game today I've cashed on a 90 player SnG. Came 7th, had pocket Q and shoved after a dry flop. Other player had pocket 5's and made the third on the flop.

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched others play a lot. I wanted to understand the trends in poker before I started playing it myself. The most basic thing you should be able to explain to yourself the reasons for your actions. Great success:)

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi allyte - I advice to have a look at Catie and Collins "Become a professional poker Player in 30 days" Course here in cardschat. It is really interesting and can boost your Play - and: it is for free :)

Cheers

tuku222

tuku222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HELLO, from my point of view there are many factors that affect the game, I'm not just talking about odds and cold numbers in terms of percentages of chips, ect. Variance is very important and many times luck also plays !!! in conclusion a lot of practice and think after each game and each decision the options after seeing the development and the end of the tournament, why you won or why you lost and take your own conclusions !!! GREETINGS FROM argentina !!

M

Mr_RichRich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you have to start with fixing your preflop ranges , focus on this topic and give your self time.
Also bankroll management is vital topic if you want to succeed .
GL <3

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
888 bankroll mob I’ve just cashed. Still in it though.
I need advice on how to finish these out

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to Phil Hellmuth you should learn how to spell poker. Second lesson is never call him with any hand, even if you have pocket aces. After this two lessons you are ready to be a great player.

Ofc, you should learn ICM, ranges, 3-bet, 4-bet, 3-bet light, M factor, gap concept, effective stack, push/fold, level of players, bet size, metagame, vpip... but this is secondary stuff.

And don't forget to play.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
888 bankroll mob I’ve just cashed. Still in it though.
I need advice on how to finish these out

Making adjustments based on stack size... our's & those of the other players on 'our table'. Learn what an optimal 3-bet resteal shove stack size is!
Steal blinds!!! (look for players to steal from!)
Learn I.C.M. (& then as a result of gaining a good understanding of this, learn to utilize ICM pressure... and learn when calling off in what might appear to be a good spot is actually 'ICM suicide'
IF you are a big stack, try to put pressure on the mid-sized stacks (if there are some shorties on the table).
IF you are one of those mid-sized stacks, you might just have to play fairly tight 'due to ICM considerations' (depending on a few different things though... ie. if the bigger stack(s) are utilizing ICM pressure... if short stacks are re-jamming vs. steals often)
IF you are a short(er) stack, this might be the easiest of all to play from as your decisions will most likely be 'shove' or 'fold'... but we might be deep enough that we can still raise/fold pre. Look for 'spots' where we can pick up the blinds &/or re-steal shove vs. LP loose aggressive players who are stealing blinds often. You'll often find some players who are not experienced and although they'll know they should be trying to steal blinds with their bigg(er) stack, they aren't 'thinking ahead' in the hand, ... ie. looking to players yet to act and seeing which ones have stack sizes that they'll be priced in to call if they shove (re-steal shove) on them. You'll see them raise/folding when they're obviously priced in to call. (once you see them do this, take advantage of this by re-shoving much wider of a stack size you'd typically think will not have any fold equity).

Most of all.. 'Run Good!' & gl

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
And...
I think I should get invited into 'the club' after this ^ post.

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Making adjustments based on stack size... our's & those of the other players on 'our table'. Learn what an optimal 3-bet resteal shove stack size is!
Steal blinds!!! (look for players to steal from!)
Learn I.C.M. (& then as a result of gaining a good understanding of this, learn to utilize ICM pressure... and learn when calling off in what might appear to be a good spot is actually 'ICM suicide'
IF you are a big stack, try to put pressure on the mid-sized stacks (if there are some shorties on the table).
IF you are one of those mid-sized stacks, you might just have to play fairly tight 'due to ICM considerations' (depending on a few different things though... ie. if the bigger stack(s) are utilizing ICM pressure... if short stacks are re-jamming vs. steals often)
IF you are a short(er) stack, this might be the easiest of all to play from as your decisions will most likely be 'shove' or 'fold'... but we might be deep enough that we can still raise/fold pre. Look for 'spots' where we can pick up the blinds &/or re-steal shove vs. LP loose aggressive players who are stealing blinds often. You'll often find some players who are not experienced and although they'll know they should be trying to steal blinds with their bigg(er) stack, they aren't 'thinking ahead' in the hand, ... ie. looking to players yet to act and seeing which ones have stack sizes that they'll be priced in to call if they shove (re-steal shove) on them. You'll see them raise/folding when they're obviously priced in to call. (once you see them do this, take advantage of this by re-shoving much wider of a stack size you'd typically think will not have any fold equity).

Most of all.. 'Run Good!' & gl
Thank you. That will give me another tactic.
Players tighten up before the bubble, if you were in the top 50% would you play less to let knock each other out?

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My best tip: Learn to apply what you know !

Most fish know the concepts like positional play, importance of pot odds etc....

But when they are at the table they do not apply them!

Make sure to not overload yourself with concepts as long as what you already know has not become a natural part of your game.

Also make sure that you learn concepts that make sense in the games you play...

The strategies heavily depend on the type of opponents you have... You can make the best bets, that destroy your opponents pot-odds for draws in a freeroll, but when your opponent does not calculate pot-odds at all this strategy is rendered useless because he will call anyway...