Have you ever purchased a Poker Theory Book?

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Brunson, Harrington, Sklansky and many more have published some amazing material over the years, whether you have read any of these is of interest to me as i was asked if i would like a poker book for xmas by a family member.

Have you ever purchased such a book and was it of any benefit to your learning and development with this game we all love (and love to hate sometimes!).

Let me know your thoughts and recommendations, i have a couple of books in mind but it would be good to put this out to the wider CC Community.

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Many would say that books (especially the older ones) are obsolete. I disagree. I have read some of these golden oldies at some point, and I think that they are a good read for every player. At least they have some historical value.

But I am very good to forget things... My wife on the other hand has a great memory and she can recall information from books she has read months ago, just like that. So did I learn something from them ??? Not sure, since I don't really remember the contents that well.

What works for you depends on you. What is the best way for you to learn? Is it through books of through some interactive content? But if it is a book that your family is insisting to give you then pick what ever you like. At least it looks good on the book shelf.

J

JessTee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I read all of the Harrington books when I started out years ago, but I'd say its probably obsolete now. I would recommend the mental game of poker though, that was a great book that would make as much sense now as it did when it was released. The game has changed, the mental game hasn't! :)

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There is so much books and info about poker, it's really overwhelming. And the worst part poker is very specific, it's so different depending on the stakes, poker room etc. So as an amateur struggling to beat nl2 it just feels useless to me.

M

manIk5

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I purchased few books when I started playing poker . Though I'll improve my game with them , and I did , not just playing part but also mindset . Still have them somewhere . Would recommend them to all who are still struggling to make a few $ , absolutely worth it ! Or u can just donwload them for free in pdf via net , and save few bucks . :icon_sant

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't buy poker theory books. After all, there is a sufficient amount of literature on this topic in the public domain.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've purchased them all.

The old material is largely dated and anything worthwhile will be covered in a more recent book or course.

The free course by Colin and his wife probably covers everything worthwhile from the older material.

Modern poker theory books are GTO oriented - probably not worthwhile till you can beat small stakes which you don't need a GTO approach instead work on observing tendencies of opponents who have highly exploitable behavior (way too tight/loose; way too aggressive/passive; way too tricky/straight forward).

davidkimtai89

davidkimtai89

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What book did you read ? Is it useful for you ?

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like the Super Systems and Harrington books. I still think the information in these books are useful. Poker they say is ever changing. So this information in these books can still be used and applied today. I believe that every tool in poker can be used for your advantage to give you yourself an edge. In a book I read it even said that people don’t play just for making money. Some like to socialize while playing live poker, some people like to compete against others. Some like it as a hobby to pass time or escape from everyday life. If your in it to just make money than good luck to you. I on the other hand try to find joy in playing poker and meeting all kinds of players/people.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can probably find a lot of interesting things in poker books. But I prefer to learn by practice. Sometimes I watch how professionals play at live tournaments. I think this is the best example to improve my game. But, if someone is interested, then it is worth reading books about poker. There may also be useful information there, especially for beginners.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Mental Game of Poker, as mentioned.

Winning poker tournaments - one hand at a time. Not a strategy book but more a journal of some pros on why they did what they did. A great insight to the thought process behand any particular hand.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had a couple, gave them away. Seemed to be a few gems but mostly filler. I have found sites like CardsChat has a lot to offer if you really want to start learning poker. Next level would be a Poker coach that can help you with your style of poker.

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Ten Years Ago i bought a Harrington's Bibble of Poker. Two parts, blue and red.

Then Daniels" Small Ball " But in thise days, better is online school i think, watching videos, twich, youtube, and talk at forum about hard hands, always choose a 5 hardest hands in your session. After analyzing You will learn a lot, Iy You can doing self ask on forum, better that Yopu hel Ypu to improve Your skills.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I've never bought a poker books, but I have no doubt that the book can be very useful. Although most believe that practice is more important than theory, it all depends on how thoughtfully and diligently you read the book and perceive and use the information.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have bought quite a few poker books over the years. Most when I was just starting out and poker was booming. Have not bought one in recent years though. There were helpful in growing my game.

N

Negan92222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I might just do that now my friend thanks for the idea

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So many good poker books
Gus hansen Ausiie millions
danile negreanu's small ball
PH guide to limit holdem

books are worth their weight in gold

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not yet. All I've done to further my game was watching some online courses. But maybe it's time I bought a good poker book.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No but I rented Doyle Brunson' s book from the library. Very good book to read for me at the the time.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Obviously not eventhough i do spend my money on dumb stuff. Sometimes.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yep. The Mental Game of Poker

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Got Phil Helmuth's first book as a gift many years ago. Reads as pretty basic these days!

cdntyler87

cdntyler87

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have not bought one myself but have been gifted. Side note our local library has 0 poker books what are you libraries like?