feelings against theories

M

MimiMLZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys ?

Are you guys a partisan of a poker played with guts and feelings or do you believe that poker should be played following strict theoritical rules?

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi guys ?

Are you guys a partisan of a poker played with guts and feelings or do you believe that poker should be played following strict theoritical rules?

In my opinion, you need to play poker based on your own skills and experience, and then you have a real chance to succeed. If you count on the knee, intestines, ear, or heel, I think in this case your chances are minimal.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Theory is very important for any player levels because it shows the fundamentals and the basis that you need to know to don't deviate too far from an imaginary line of perfect game conditions.
But it does not mean you always have to play 'by the book'.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the main thing is to play so that your bankroll grows steadily, steadily every month, and from year to year, then it is obvious that you are doing everything right.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What ever gives you the best results.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Most of the time it should be played according to its strict rules but the emotions don't let me :)

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

I believe both !!! sometimes you have to risk at certain moments of the game !!

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you have to adapt to the table you sit at. So before you sit at a table you must have all the tools and be able to play different styles so that you can adapt to the players at the table. The more weapons and different styles you have the better player you will be over all, don't just stick to one way of playing and don't try to force anything.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
50/50

I'd rather have guts though. :D

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Guts are just theories you haven't consciously come to terms with...so it's not all that different in the end.

A

Auswa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker tournaments come down to two things

1) Accumulate chips
2) Preserve chips.

My gut feelings are always based on theory. There might not be any concrete evidence he will fold but I might just try and Accumulate chips and take a stab in the dark.

Same with Preserving chips. Might not be any evidence he's got it but I just fold and wait for another situation. Basically its down to chance.

Last edited:
J

jeffman123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need to play Poker based on a very exact understanding of optimal strategy. The only way to get that is with a lot of work. online poker at even mid-stakes is a game with such incredibly tight margins that if you don't even have a coherent strategy you're going to be a complete fish.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it is important to have an understanding of poker strategy, the stronger the better. But having good poker instincts will also serve us well. Without them you will find yourself constantly folding to every time someone bluffs at a pot. It's easy to make the call when you make top pair/top kicker on a dry board, and you know that your opponent is trying the rep the hand you just made. But it's hard gets harder when you're looking at a coordinated board with straight or flush possibilities showing or over cards to your pair on the board. Unless, of course, you're happy to fold every time an over card or a card that might complete some sort of draw hits the board and someone bets at it, you have to rely on your instincts to either make the call or fold. It's our instincts that tell us whether we think someone got there and actually has it or, is simply bluffing to try to push us off of our hand.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A mixture of both is probably the best. I would definitely read up on the theories and then you can decide which ones to add to your repertoire. You always have a certain artistic freedom in poker. There is not only one successful way. Depending on the strengths of a player, this can also differ significantly. It is often argued that playing according to fixed tables becomes static and suboptimal Strategy leads. That's true, of course, but only if the charts are followed too strictly. However, if you use tables sensibly and flexibly, they can bring many advantages. Primarily they give you a starting point for your considerations. It's easier yourself in difficult situations to consider how and why you should deviate from your standard range instead of completely without it Clue to reinvent the wheel.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it like playing for luck with courage? You won't be able to have a good bankroll even on freerolls. Only skill and no less.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think that theories are very important, because they show where are the best ways to play. But you must adjust them to your game and your strategy.

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think that you are the one who gives poker your own style of playing it once you have the basic fundamentals you are the one who decides to be passive or aggressive based on any theory

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I play by theory for the most part but there is always the gut instinct part that can affect my action. It really depend on the person I am against and the amount of chips I have to use.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
theory together with intuition will give you the best result. Unfortunately, in online poker, intuition often suggests that with very strong cards you will lose to the river, which then happens.:)

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's always something strange in poker that theory alone doesn't work.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys ?

That depends on, what you mean by "guts and feelings" and "strict theoretical rules". If "strict theoretical rules" means always trying to play perfect GTO poker, then my answer to that is no.

There is a concept known as MDF (Minimum Defense Frequenzy), which especially apply on the river. But if my poker instinct tell me, that someone is very unlikely to be bluffing or on the countrary very likely to be bluffing, then I will certainly deviate and call either less or more.

If on the other hand "guts and feelings" means a rationale like "I really like J4, so I will play that hand from any position" or "this guy has been very annoying, so I go all in", then thats not good winning poker.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A good game is a rough stone of theory cut by practice.

V

Vinao182

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
man, i try to play with theory, but it hardly works kkk, amazing, i think that actually while we are playing our brain is realizing who is bluffing, who is too aggressive, i.e. collecting random information that makes a difference when playing a hand purely for equity, i see it makes a difference, whenever i think i think it was better not to go all in with ak now, i always lose kkk it's amazing!

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello
Sometimes there are opponents playing poker that does not fit into more than one game rules, then I rely only on my intuition

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think understanding theory is super important. That doesn't mean you need to play GTO poker. You instead can use it when its best.

Take the game rock paper scissors. GTO would be to play each 1/3 of the time. The villian knowing your strategy could never impliment a strategy to beat you.

If however while playing GTO you notice villian always played rock(or favored rock) It would make sense to play paper(or play it more often).

You would be getting reads of the villians play and how it deviated from GTO and you would deviate accordingly to make the maximun profit.